Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

sticking throttle.....

valentino46

Has anyone else had this problem...Four times now the throttle has gone to 6000 revs and the only way to stop it is to switch off [ at the most inconvenient place] .There is no mat in the way, and it does it when then the car is pulling away, one time on a roundabout....The car is one owner 15000 miles ,avensis tourer 1.8 petrol manual.  I will get to a dealer but in the meantime I have doused the throttle peddle with silicone spray.  THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

Year?

Can't say I've experienced this myself, more details about model will be great for awareness though, I'm no techie, but is the actual pedal getting stuck or it stays applying gas despite releasing throttle (with pedal back in its highest position)

Justin

I am guessing the OP has an 1.8 Valvematic 2ZR, but it could be the earlier 1ZZ as both have fly by wire. I would check the connections at the accelerator pedal and throttle body.

The following are the accelerators of the 2ZR and 1ZZ respectively and the throttle bodies:- 

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2009/avensis/zrt271r-awfepw/2_273560_041_410W/body/7801_accelerator-link#78010F

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2008/avensis/zzt251r-almekw/3_273550_054_352W/body/7801_accelerator-link/2#78010F

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2009/avensis/zrt271r-awfepw/2_273560_041_410W/tool-engine-fuel/2211_fuel-injection-system (image not showing)

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2008/avensis/zzt251r-almekw/3_273550_054_352W/tool-engine-fuel/2211_fuel-injection-system#22210

The Valvematic is a bit more complicated as the inlet valves do the job of the throttle. 

• Like 1

THANKS for the help .here is more info... the car has 2ZF engine , and when the fault occurs the throttle sticks open at high revs  when just pulling away .there is no response ,other than to turn off ignition. ......its VALVEMATIC TR. THANKS . oh and its reg..2012/

Edited by valentino46
left out info..

14 hours ago, valentino46 said:

THANKS for the help .here is more info... the car has 2ZF engine , and when the fault occurs the throttle sticks open at high revs  when just pulling away .there is no response ,other than to turn off ignition. ......its VALVEMATIC TR. THANKS . oh and its reg..2012/

Hi MotoGP fan (sorry for the pun), you have the same car as myself (mine is 2009). The worst time with the throttle normally is during the initial warm up period. Your fault though is unusual and extreme, plus dangerous!

As I said before, check the accelerator pedal connection. Since using the silicon spray has the fault happened again? Live diagnostics may show if the accelerator position sensor is sending the correct signal.

I would be looking at changing the pedal unit if the fault continues. Check with the dealer if the car is covered by the warranty or go for a salvage on if the cost is high.

Konrad

• 2 weeks later...

Just  been to Main Dealer. and they found that the throttle sensor on the peddle is the guilty party ,and they are changing it .THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links