Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spark plugs Avensis , 1.8, engine 7A-FE, 2000

JAPCAR

Original spark plugs are Denso SK20R-P13 Iridium.

Does somebody know what other types can use for that engine?

I never used anything else when I owned my Mk1 for 13 years, but Denso  SK20R-P13 Iridium.

From the owners manual, no other brand spark plugs were recommended. This is due to the nature of work the spark plugs have to endure. The 7AFE lean burn engine needs a high spark out put, that needs a metal that can withstand the high temperatures. Also the ignition fires twice as much - the second spark is known as the waste spark.

With all that, Iridium is the only metal that can last up to 60,000 miles. Platinum tipped plugs can be used at a much shorter distance.

NGK - BKR6EP-13 platinum is the only other alternative, but I cannot comment on them.    

Yes I know user manual recomends just SK20R-P13 Iridium but I saw a Denso site gave Denso IK20TT Iridium as well. I saw NGK - BKR6EP-13 platinum  somewhere as well.

Usualy electrode gaps are 0.7- 1.1mm but on SK20R-P13 is 1.3mm?? The gap for NGK - BKR6EP-13  is 1.3 as well but for IK20TT Iridium is 1.0mm.

I wonder if I decide to try IK20TT do I have to adjust gap to 1.3?

50 minutes ago, JAPCAR said:

Yes I know user manual recomends just SK20R-P13 Iridium but I saw a Denso site gave Denso IK20TT Iridium as well. I saw NGK - BKR6EP-13 platinum  somewhere as well.

Usualy electrode gaps are 0.7- 1.1mm but on SK20R-P13 is 1.3mm?? The gap for NGK - BKR6EP-13  is 1.3 as well but for IK20TT Iridium is 1.0mm.

I wonder if I decide to try IK20TT do I have to adjust gap to 1.3?

Yes, or the spark will not ignite all of the lean fuel mixture. The emissions would rise and the power at low revs could also be down. The main reason you have to get the correct spark plugs, is because the gaps are set, the reach and screw thread. If it fits, no harm.

Hi Japcar,

I am a late arrival for this.

I have looked back at my service history receipts and back in 2012 I bought 4 irridium tipped spark plugs from ECP along with other service parts. 

Bosch super plus FR6KPP33X part number 408771250

They are still in and running fine. They were £5.27 ea list price £6.72 in August 2012.

As far as I am aware as long as you use an irridium plug specified for the lean burn engine you are OK.

• Like 2

Right. I have taken my blinkers off and done a quick research. The reason why I did not give other brands, is because I heard somewhere before that somebody put in unsuitable plugs (material wise) and they practically melted! I don't want to give bad advice and then be blamed.

Anyway, Beru, Bosch and NGK do seem to list plugs for the Leanburn engine.

Here is some of the sites I found:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/spark-plug  

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/parts/service-parts/plugs 

As I said before, both the handbook and the Haynes manual did not list alternatives at the time. Platinum plugs need to be changed at half the distance/usage. 

One thing I have noticed, is the rise in price. I use Denso iridiums for my 1.8 Valvematic and they are far cheaper to buy than my old Leanburn!

I can understand why you are looking for options.   

• Like 1

On 10/09/2016 at 6:56 PM, Harry Carri said:

Bosch super plus FR6KPP33X part number 408771250

They are still in and running fine. They were £5.27 ea list price £6.72 in August 2012.

Do you know what is the gap for these?

2 hours ago, JAPCAR said:

Do you know what is the gap for these?

Ideally the gap should be 1.3mm and normally are preset like the original Denso plugs.

The reason is that the spark is strong and the larger gap helps ignite the lean mixture. Also Denso advise not to try and adjust the electrode as the material is brittle! Other brands may tolerate adjustment. 

17 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Ideally the gap should be 1.3mm and normally are preset like the original Denso plugs.

The reason is that the spark is strong and the larger gap helps ignite the lean mixture. Also Denso advise not to try and adjust the electrode as the material is brittle! Other brands may tolerate adjustment. 

I asked because plugs Denso IK20TT (cheaper then original ones) fit as well but are preset to 1mm...

22 minutes ago, JAPCAR said:

I asked because plugs Denso IK20TT (cheaper then original ones) fit as well but are preset to 1mm...

I have done a quick search for more info:-

https://www.densoproducts.com/learning-center/article/192/should-i-gap-my-plugs

http://www.globaldenso.com/en/products/aftermarket/plug/power/features.html

When setting the gap try to gently open the ground. 

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/spark-plugs-with-the-wrong-gap.2333372/

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links