Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newby to all things Toyota

Austin_Sherbert

Hello,

I'm normally a classic car girl, owning 4, however I have recently acquired a 1991 Toyota Carina 2 from an elderly gentlemen who said if I can get the car running after being sat for 9 years I can have it. Alas I did and here I am. It's in very good nick considering, with 37000 miles on the clock and full history, sales brochure, etc.

I want to improve the look of this car by adding a rear spoiler, does anyone know of one that will fit it? I don't mind adjusting if necessary. As I have only stepped into Toyota World, is there any other changes I can do to this car to improve it? Maybe some alloys? Lowering the ride? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rose  

Hi Rose and Welcome.

We had a 1992 one and it had a spoiler on the back, not one of those wedges stuck on top of the boot lid.

It was fastened by 2 push in fastenings in the middle sections and bonded at the sides.

I would imagine they are rare now. Somebody pinched ours and it got replaced through the insurance.

So how much effort did it take to get it going?

Ant

Hi all, I too am a Toyota newbie, having recently bought an 05 Corolla D4D 1.4. It is simply a good little car with great fuel economy. I need to sort the noisy gearbox bearings, but hey ho. A very nice motor car doing well for it's 150k mileage. The only other Japanese car I have owned was a mk2 Nissan Prairie which was also a sound motor. 

Best regards to all, Steve 

Surprisingly, very little effort to get it going. I put some fresh fuel in, cleaned the plugs and connected a new Battery. It didn't even need air in the tyres! It was however 1/2 full of stale fuel so when taking it to the MOT station instead of driving lovely like it had on the driveway it broke down, mainly due to the fuel pipes being clogged and the stale fuel situation. However once I got it going again, and running off the stale fuel.... It runs lovely, flew through the MOT.

Before it was running and washed.

Carina after wash.jpg

After a good wash. I'm now in the process of moping the car and going to give it a good coat of wax to keep the red shiny and stop it fading in the sun...Carina after wash2.jpg

What with car park spaces being scaled down to soap box cart size, I wish we could go back to the door protector strips / rubbing strips fitted as standard. 

I'm also newish to the Toyota, picking up a 1998 Corolla a few months back. The paint on your car looks like the paint on my Corolla. I gave it a bit of a wash and some colour magic on it, still looks dull. Did you wax yours?

33 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

The paint on your car looks like the paint on my Corolla. I gave it a bit of a wash and some colour magic on it, still looks dull. Did you wax yours?

I have a mop, so I gave it a once over with this and some polish, to buff up the paint and then I waxed it. This was it after the polish and wax. after polish.jpg

Glad to hear the MOT didn't cause any problems, they were a good car and last of the made in Japan. Before the factory in the UK started making the carina E.

Had ours for 12 years, only ever had 3 things that needed changing.

• 1 month later...

Hi Rose,

U have a lovely car there, best of luck with it. I had two of those in liftback form, a red one and a white one. Loved them, absolutely brilliant car and lovely looking. I put spoiler's on both which I got in scrapyard's. Genuine Toyota type spoiler and had two we leg's in the middle of the spoiler which screwed onto boot lid and little metal clamp type thing's which fastened each end of the spoiler to the boot lid. I did't like the wedge type one's that came on the 2.0 executive carina's. If u looked hard enough u'd get one,- ebay- that's all I did, I thought it was enough. But a nice set of wheels would really set her off. Type of motor that doesn't need much done to it to jazz her up I think.

Corrrr...... Luvverrley!!

We must meet up someday :balloon:

I paid a ton for 4x (and Good 2 Go tyres)

FORD%20AlloyNuts_3.jpg

OZ 15x7 ET37.... I haven't attempted to fit them yet (ALWAYS at work!)

Your sills/sill rears look OK in these piccies.... If you lift the back of the plastic sillguard with your thumb and pull back, it will pop off the holding clips.... the holes you see go into the sill void.

get the Waxoyl in M8 :wink:

2sav

• 4 years later...

Lovely car. I would be interested if you still have the Carina and would be willing to sell to a fellow enthusiast 🙂