Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1.3 mmt auto jerking when start moving

DanniEl

Anyone looking to get their Toyota Actuator rebuilt / repaired should check out these two firms.

https://www.ecutesting.com/common-faults/toyota/toyota-mmt-clutch-actuator-fault/

https://bba-remanshop.com/gb/product/toyota-aygo-clutch-actuator-repair/

Garages will usually take off the Actuator and send it off to be rebuilt. One mechanic I spoke with told me he sends it to ECU Testing.

it runs on 10 and 11 no issue, install the software with no internet connection, "fix it" plug in the VCI and go into dev man and find the device and update driver the Mini VCI are a clone of the Xhorse vci they are much of a muchness tbh

Cheers Flash22 - can you please share a link to the mini vci cable? Seen a few on Amazon but reviews put you off.

A lot of reviews are people that can't use Google - manly software related - try not to discuss "software" on the open forum

from experience, they either work or don't - plenty of sellers on eBay just make sure they are UK based

The Vx nano do work well but are a bit pricey

Hi, Stanley47

if you go to that link for the Tec stream there are 2 options one at £81 and the other being wifi at £91 and its the wifi one that now says cars up 2020 rather than 2019. It seems at least when i try that its only the wifi one now which opens up on the free download link and it shows what needs to be loaded. Does this look more beneficial ? as it shows on the MEGA page mini vci driver 64 and mini vci 86

Now i cant remeber if i just waited for my tool to arrive and then just downloaded the disc. I also remember trying to make sense of someone's flash demonstration talking in half broken english on ytube and them using  Xhorse and program x86 files to complete the task the latter which should automatically be installed on ones computer which i must have accidentally deleted sometime on my 8.1 

I have an old 11inch Sony which would have been an ideal size that ive never used in yrs. running XP which also doesnt show x86 but i cant get it to connect to the internet even after entering the correct details, will have to take it to a shop. i hope thee above info makes some kind sense for now?

All i have left on my laptop is VG manager? As for the Launch X431 or Autel which would you choose?  It will be interesting to see if you get a positive reply from your mate that has one? Its no use asking any more questions for now because we all have a tendency to answer only part of what one has asked in the first place!

I recently bought a 2011 1.3 semi automatic toyota yaris, it does roll forward without using pedals, however it is quite jerky when changing gears and has some roll back on a hill, I have been told by the garage I bought it from that this is normal with a semi automatic car and there is nothing wrong with the gear box and it does not have a clutch, but reading some of these posts is making me think there maybe something wrong.

• Like 1

TBH it's hard to tell with the MMT gearboxes as they aren't very good to begin with. Sometimes getting them recalibrated can help, other times the clutch or actuator may need replacing.

2 hours ago, Johanne said:

I recently bought a 2011 1.3 semi automatic toyota yaris, it does roll forward without using pedals, however it is quite jerky when changing gears and has some roll back on a hill, I have been told by the garage I bought it from that this is normal with a semi automatic car and there is nothing wrong with the gear box and it does not have a clutch, but reading some of these posts is making me think there maybe something wrong.

Is it a semi-automatic the Mk2 yaris is the semi auto and that does have an automated clutch

eg. https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/car-reviews/toyota/yaris/yaris-2009-2011/

The early Mk3 are a CVT

From what you describe, it's a MK2 with an MMT, treat like a manual, use the handbrake for pulling away and when stopped  handbrake and put in N, back off the throttle when changing gear, these gearboxes are better in manual mode (M + or -) either use the stick or paddle shifters to change up/down

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 12:18 PM, petroleum said:

Hi, Stanley47

if you go to that link for the Tec stream there are 2 options one at £81 and the other being wifi at £91 and its the wifi one that now says cars up 2020 rather than 2019. It seems at least when i try that its only the wifi one now which opens up on the free download link and it shows what needs to be loaded. Does this look more beneficial ? as it shows on the MEGA page mini vci driver 64 and mini vci 86

Now i cant remeber if i just waited for my tool to arrive and then just downloaded the disc. I also remember trying to make sense of someone's flash demonstration talking in half broken english on ytube and them using  Xhorse and program x86 files to complete the task the latter which should automatically be installed on ones computer which i must have accidentally deleted sometime on my 8.1 

I have an old 11inch Sony which would have been an ideal size that ive never used in yrs. running XP which also doesnt show x86 but i cant get it to connect to the internet even after entering the correct details, will have to take it to a shop. i hope thee above info makes some kind sense for now?

All i have left on my laptop is VG manager? As for the Launch X431 or Autel which would you choose?  It will be interesting to see if you get a positive reply from your mate that has one? Its no use asking any more questions for now because we all have a tendency to answer only part of what one has asked in the first place!

Quick update - Autel MK808 did not work despite Autel telling me it will. It just didn't have the hot function to support MMT.

I will update my original post with the fix for my Actuator on MK1 Aygo.

• Like 1

Hi Stanley,

re the hi end hand held tools such as Autel MK808? just goes to show as i stated even the model above that did not show that special function in thier detail sales pitch!?

SO, a big update from me. And it's a happy solution :biggrin:.

On our 2006 Yaris [35K miles, owned from new] the MMT had deteriorated badly over time, it was reset quite a few times (basically annually) during servicing by the main dealer - they wanted to charge quite a lot, but, in the end, did it as part of the service. Maybe it was a mistake pressuring them to do that, because I'm not SURE they did the full procedure given the results below). Towards the end they were talking about replacing the entire clutch / gearbox at a rather large price. I suppose that’s the approach of a "fitter", as opposed to a mechanic :cool:

Recently it was getting really awful to drive, it had not been dealer reset for maybe 4 years and in reverse it was really jerky. After searching and looking here [great resource this] I got a mechanic to do the documented manual reset -as per:
http://www.partinfo.co.uk/docs/8734

This was about 6 months ago. It was much better afterwards, however it had recently deteriorated again - a lot. 6 months is far too quick to have to reset again IMO.

Anhyow, off it went to the same guy to do the manual reset again.
Unfortunately, this time it was no better - to the extent that it perhaps seemed like time to get rid of the car before it died entirely.
It turns out that would have been a very expensive mistake. Have you seen the cost of a recent Yaris? And the hybrid system seems pretty poor [unsatisfactory CVT operation] on pre 2020 cars.

To me, it seemed unfair to sell it privately in that condition, and perhaps tough to get a garage or a 'we buy' operation to take it - IF they road tested!

Because of that, I contacted what seems to be a really good garage in Shoreham UK.  Run by 2 ex RAC guys.
I discovered them recently when they fixed my precious 2006 A4 after the RAC man had pronounced it pretty much ready to write off - although he'd valuably recommended trying them as a last resort because they are the type og folk who will try repair things, strip engines etc. a really good find.
(However, that’s another story - really NASTY A4 V6 engine noise, turned out to be only a seized air-con compressor, expensive to fix - but not as bad as the dreaded timing chain tensioners) 

So, I sent the garage links to info about the bearing / bushing replacement in the actuator etc. &  they took the Yaris in to have a look.
Imagine my delight when they told me all it needed was a reset using their diagnostic computer. This reset seems to have been far more thorough than documented the manual one as it really is working like new. Sets off inn reverse "smooth as silk". of course we'll have to see. how long it lasts, he did comment that town only driving isn't good for the system. 

SO - my recommendation - perhaps before spending time stripping the actuator or buying a rebuilt one, it would be wise consider spending £50 getting a reputable garage to do the reset.
If you want to know who did ours, please PM me.

I'm sure the actuator mechanism sometimes does need a rebuild and it's generous of others to share the "how to" on here - & maybe we are lucky that the reset worked. Could be the low mileage, it would be surprising for bushings [especially made by Toyota] to wear in so few miles..

I certainly feel lucky as it’s a very nice little car to drive once more. Its been a great car apart from the MMT issues, almost no work has been needed in all those years and it just a sailed through the MOT again. PHEW 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2022 at 4:49 PM, flash22 said:

From what you describe, it's a MK2 with an MMT, treat like a manual, use the handbrake for pulling away and when stopped  handbrake and put in N, back off the throttle when changing gear, these gearboxes are better in manual mode (M + or -) either use the stick or paddle shifters to change up/down

I think that’s great advice, manual shifting especially in town driving 

On 11/14/2019 at 5:03 PM, Henby said:

I just bought a Toyota yaris 2006 model dual gearbox (automatic and manual gears). It jerks so much when i gas from a stationary position and when reversing. I'm told that's how toyota dual gear works and the jerking is normal. 

Does anyone has an idea if this is true? or has knowledge on what I can do? Thanks in advance!

Hen.

Not true, properly reset it drives fine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links