Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E11 Replacement Exhaust options?

mickburkesnr

This car has developed a bit of a rattle which is down to the heat shield on the catalytic converter. It's broken on the back of the cat, but is very solid on the front. All it's causing is a rattle, it doesn't need replacing - which is good.

The back box, however, is starting to break down internally. So it'll need replacing eventually. What the mechanic and I were surprised at was the Toyota branding on the middle and back box - its 18 years old and it's still on its original exhaust!

Only issue with this is that it's all one system. There is no connections, the cat is connected to the manifold, but after that it's either solid or welded.

When it comes to replacing the back box and middle box, am I going to be able to do this without buying a cat as well? Or can I buy the two parts and have the mechanic fit it to the cat without a problem?

check out the bosal catalogue for your car here:

http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pages/exh_system_list.php?query_nr=6&make=TOYOTA&model=Corolla&body=Hatchback&cartype=1.3&fuel=B&year=1998

This shows your exhaust should be made up of 4 parts; front pipe, cat, central silencer, back box. Each part can be replaced independently of the others.

If yours has been on there 18 years, then it's probably got a nice build up of rust which is hiding the joints, making it appear to be one piece

Thanks for that.

It is the strangest thing. When I went under the car with the guy I was looking for the joins and there were none. It's like they got all four components and welded them all together. So for me to keep the cat but change the back two boxes they'd have to cut the pipe and attach the new ones on somehow?

Should've taken a photo but I didn't unfortunately.

2 hours ago, mickburkesnr said:

have to cut the pipe and attach the new ones on somehow?

Varous methods, probably one of these the easiest if the new tube is exactly the same size as the old.

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/exhaust-pipe-joiners

Brilliant. I was worried that I'd have to buy the whole exhaust system. But as it can be split properly I'm happier now :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links