Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2.0D Aux Drive Belt (1AD-FTV)

AJones

The auxiliary drive belt (serpentine belt) on my 2007 Avensis 2.0D (1AD-FTV engine) is due a change and just wondered if anyone else had changed one of these on this engine?

Looks straightforward enough in principle - release tensioner, change belt, re-tension. But is it that easy in practice?

Or is the access a nightmare, will I need to remove the wheel, take out wheel liners to get to it?

Thanks.

I could only find this video so far :-

It looks like the tensioner was accessed from under the car.

Here is a diagram of the belt routing, courtesy of Gates -

S7082.jpg

At least it is not like my old Vauxhall Cavalier, where the serpentine belt routed through the engine mount.The engine had to be supported, mount removed and separated to change the belt! Not good if it snaps. The Avensis is far easier once you remove the cover. 

• 2 months later...

I've kept an eye on mine for cracks and the like, but never seen the need to change it as it's still in good shape even 200k later. Nite that I've written this post I'll be paranoid about it failing though :)

13 hours ago, Duggerz said:

I've kept an eye on mine for cracks and the like, but never seen the need to change it as it's still in good shape even 200k later. Nite that I've written this post I'll be paranoid about it failing though :)

I now have a spare in the car just in case. I remember a few years back, when the crank harmonic balance pulley failed, destroying two of the belts on my old Mk1 Avensis. I had a spare and limped home a short distance. I have checked the condition of the current belt, and okay so far.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links