Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

zucyam

zucyam

6 months ago brought 2nd hand rav4 from dealer only to have it diagnosed with the dreaded head gasket problem. has anyone succesfully had a replacement engine from toyota after the 7 year/111000mile extended goodwill waranty. i did see one post from someone which was only 2 weeks after the 7 year. car has done 71k and has full service history some of it main dealer. regards phil

As far as I'm aware Toyota apply the seven years or mileage limit, whichever occurs first, quite rigidly - otherwise what is the point of setting limits. OK, in the case above where a car was 2 weeks outside the 7 year limit, Toyota may have allowed a warranty claim. However, from your profile, your Rav is 2007 - which will be two years outside the time limit.

what would be the best way to resolve this problem. should i replace gasket and hope it will give me another 60k of milage or replace engine from a scrapper. car is useless to me as is. 

It is a gamble either way.

Although there have been some owners who have done a head gasket repair, as far as I'm aware no-one has come back to say how successful the repair has been or how long it has lasted.

An engine from a scrapper is also an unknown quantity.

A 150 bhp engine from a scrapper is a better proposition than none at all.

There is one on the bay at the moment but he wants >£2k for it. 

There was a write up on here about 6-9 months since of someone who repaired one by skimming the head and shortening the valves etc. 

Dont think he came back to say how long it lasted. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links