Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Test drive Avensis problem

Russd4d

Hi

I just took a D4D for a test drive

It has 112k on the clock and drives well but, I can hear and feel a rumble and not sure where it is coming from but it does feel like the front and maybe the front drivers side.

Issues to bare in mind are both front tyres need replacing and they were low on air too.

Is this a common issue with the Avensis ?

I have just gone through over 20 pages on here trying to find a similar problem but all i can find is wheel bearings etc.

Does it cost a fair bit in a garage to replace wheel bearings as i am not able to do myself.

Apart from that the car drives nice and complete with leather etc, T Spirit with a new clutch and very good condition interior, few scratches on outside.

Not sure to take a chance on the car because if it costs an arm and a leg to put right then it's just not worth it.

Any help appreciated.

Faulty tyres can certainly make a sound similar to worn wheel bearings. With worn tyres this is not necessarily the case. If the tyres have been rotated then wear features caused on one corner may react badly when moved to another. Did you notice any uneven wear? Checking for worn bearings involves getting the vehicle off the ground. Could that be arranged? If buying from a garage, can they not offer some reassurance? Worn bearings are normally identified during the MOT test - any advisories? Many miles since the last test? New wheel bearings are around £50 plus labour. Expect to be charged for 2-3 hours although the job should take  significantly less.

Private sale.

The guy seems a genuine person.

Tyres need changing but did not notice if worn unevenly.

Really nice car but would not want to buy something that requires loads spent on it as it then becomes expensive for what it is.

Advisories were

nearside Track rod end ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.2.C.1c)
Slight wear inner rack
front Tyre worn close to the legal limit Both (4.1.E.1)
This was 2k miles ago in July.

There were other things but not to do or related to the problem.

In a fix now as it is nice and drives nice if i wore headphones. lol.
Seriously i like to travel and could not risk me the mrs and the dog in it as it is.

It's a T Spirit with all the gadgets that work and nice leather seats on an 04 reg.
Dont mind paying to have the job done but as we know its hard to know what.

I suspect that the problems on the advisory and the tyre/bearing  noise are directly linked.

Inner track rod arms and track rod ends are relatively simple to swap over. They would cost less than the wheel bearing repair. Unfortunately as cars rack up the miles repairs like these crop up. Did the seller price these repairs themselves and is this the reason they're selling up? 

1 hour ago, gazza1286 said:

I suspect that the problems on the advisory and the tyre/bearing  noise are directly linked.

Inner track rod arms and track rod ends are relatively simple to swap over. They would cost less than the wheel bearing repair. Unfortunately as cars rack up the miles repairs like these crop up. Did the seller price these repairs themselves and is this the reason they're selling up? 

No

He came into some money and splashed out on a very nice Jaguar.

So not the reason for selling

I will have to say no to this car as i cannot take the chance on it.

Update on the Avensis

The seller had 4 new tyres put on the car so i took it out for a long test drive today.

All is well. the noise was coming from the tyres.

The T Spirit is now mine, Happy Days.

The satnav disk is old so i will be looking for the latest disk i can find for it.

The Parrot hands free works perfect along with everything else so far.

One problem i do have is i cannot lock the door with the key so the alarm does not activate, If i left the dog in the car to pop in a shop then the alarm will activate, Is there a way to deactivate the alarm.

I am not ure if the barrel on the lock has gone stiff through lack of use or its been changed, will investigate tomorrow with plenty of WD40.

The dog goes everywhere with us and on times he is in the car i need it locked but not alarmed.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Russ

Is there a switch inside to disable the interior sensors of the alarm?

May be by the interior light - see 

Cheers Frostyballs.

Never even looked at the switch in the car.

My dog will be delighted he can stay in the car and no alarm going off. lol

Problem 1 sorted.

Now onto the satnav disk

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links