Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Leak From Chain Tensioner

roks

Hi All,

There appears to be a weeping oil leak from the chain tensioner, the car has done 105K and I can only assume its the original part. 

Should I just replace the o-ring or is there any benefit in fitting a new tensioner assembly?    

Cheers.

roks

I have the same thing, replaced the o ring as well as the rocker cover gasket but still the same. I think it's coming from the timing chain cover and as far as I know it's an engine out job to fix, been told it's not worth the hassle on such an old car so just keep an eye on it.

• Sad 1

Did the rocker cover gasket just over a year ago, its all dry up there.

I'll have a closer look to see if its coming from the chain cover. The bottom bolt on the tensioner was wet so I assumed its was leaking there, I'll change the o ring, and some rtv on the outer flange.

I take it no need to drain engine oil to replace the o ring on the tensioner? Anything else I should be aware of?

No no drainage needed, when removing tensioner you will need to reset it before re installing it, vids in YouTube for that.

• 11 months later...

Finaly manage to change the oring as the mess behind the engine got to me. Had to drop the one side of belt idler arm to make it easier to work on, didn't fancy getting under the car.

I didn't feel comfortable using sealent around the oring...will see how it holds without it.

Cleaned around the area so I can keep an eye on it.

20170907_174229.jpg

Screenshot_20170908-111714.png

• 2 years later...

How did it evolve after a few years? No more leak?

I notices this area is dirty on my car. Might start to get leaking just a little bit. If I ever have to change the o ring, I wonder if it would make sense to change the tensioner... Price difference isn't an issue as the part is quite cheap, and it wouldn't take more time to change the tensioner.

My question is: does the original tensioner do its job fine for the life of the car, or does it fail after a while in some cases (not enough tension on the chain, causing trouble to the engine)?

Thanks!

The o - ring should be just fine to replace on its own without the need of a new tensioner.

When I had mine done though I resealed the oil sump and replaced both timing cover gaskets as well.

I've not lost a drop of oil since.

Hey nginx,

Sorry for the late reply.

Mine is still leaking after replacing the o-ring, I thought the o-ring should be more snug but its not.

What I did notice though, when the oil drops to certain level its slows/stops, so I guess when it goes below the tensioner level?

Either that or the leak is else where, its not the rocker cover, could be the top of the chain cover....couldnt be bothered anymore so left it.

• 4 months later...

Hi I have been told I have a suspect timing chain tensioner seal leak and been quoted £540 inc labour. Is this about right? Plus another £576 for a suspect sump seal leak....

Thank you in advance for any help.

On 9/22/2016 at 1:45 AM, SanaYusuf said:

I have the same thing, replaced the o ring as well as the rocker cover gasket but still the same. I think it's coming from the timing chain cover and as far as I know it's an engine out job to fix, been told it's not worth the hassle on such an old car so just keep an eye on it.

Don't need the engine out at all but it is a job.I have the MrT PDF repair manual someone sent me on here. 

Order the gasket set for the TC cover and oil seals and get the TC tensioner O ring too and probably a new rocker cover gasket if its not been done like my 04 plate on 130k. I have 2 leaks I'm currently working on 👍🏻

On 3/8/2020 at 4:27 PM, nginx said:

How did it evolve after a few years? No more leak?

I notices this area is dirty on my car. Might start to get leaking just a little bit. If I ever have to change the o ring, I wonder if it would make sense to change the tensioner... Price difference isn't an issue as the part is quite cheap, and it wouldn't take more time to change the tensioner.

My question is: does the original tensioner do its job fine for the life of the car, or does it fail after a while in some cases (not enough tension on the chain, causing trouble to the engine)?

Thanks!

someone on here compared the replacement tensioner and the stock one. Measured with calipers and the outside was identical. Can't see the inside though obviously 

8 minutes ago, M Jane said:

Hi I have been told I have a suspect timing chain tensioner seal leak and been quoted £540 inc labour. Is this about right? Plus another £576 for a suspect sump seal leak....

Thank you in advance for any help.

sounds a lot to me. Read my thread in this forum. Someone said what theirs cost, can't remember off top of my head.

Iam a Toyota machine wash down your engine brake cleaner or any type of degreaser will do and drive it for a few days then you will see where your leaks are use Toyota original black engine seal it's expensive but it is the best used and I've used a few😅