Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake and Exhaust

Hicardo

Hi there

Can anyone advise how long an exhaust system, and long will brake pads last on average on an Auris HSD? Probably the same as a Prius more or less, but I don't have any idea how long that will actually be.  

My guess would be more than 50,000 / 5 years. A friend of mine is thinking of buying a 2010 / 11 vehicle.

I have a 2011 Auris hsd.....It needed rear pads at about 75000 miles, but only because the rear calipers needed servicing.

I`ve only seen of one exhaust problem on a auris of this age, it was a hanger bracket weld that failed....a replacement system was a huge price, but a repair would be easy....remove, weld, refit.  From the photos the rest of the system was like new.

Thanks Stuart...so they're very long lived...that's good news. It's a great design all round the Toyota HSD

Re brakes, it does depend on the type of use.

People who generally brake early and gently mostly slow down using regenerative braking and can get amazing life out of the brakes (over 200,000 miles has been known).  Those who brake hard and late use more of the 'real' brakes, but a significant proportion of the braking is still done by the electric motor.

My last Gen 3 Prius had done 60,000 miles when I sold it and the pads were about 25% worn.

What really kills Toyota Hybrid brakes is rust if the car isn't driven almost every day, especially if it isn't garaged.  My last Gen 1 Prius had minimal brake pad wear when it reached 70,000 miles, but I then spent a year driving a company Gen 2, and mine was lucky to be driven once every 2 weeks, and then mostly short journeys (and it lived outside).  When I did drive it, the first few miles you could hear the brakes grinding as the rust was removed, and it rapidly wore out both pads and discs. so by 90,000 both ends had been replaced.  The car then got regular use again, and when I sold it with over 163,000 on the clock the new brakes were still hardly worn.

My gen3 prius had done 135000 miles in almost 7 years and still had the original exhaust.

Brake pads usually last a long time but my gen3 had a problem where one of the rear pads started to wear really quickly due to sticking calipers and wheel bearing starting to go.  As Pete says, lack of use can be an issue.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links