Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air con problems

Pendlelad

Hi there,

I bought an Aygo about 3 months ago but its only recently that i've noticed the a/c is not working. It's my first car so im not familiar with how it works etc. The green light comes on when i press the air con button but nothing else (no sound of a fan or anything). The blowers work fine but i would like the air con to work!

Any help would be appreciated but dont get too technical (im not an engineer).

Pendlelad

Hello jack - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Air conditioning uses the car's blower fans to distribute the cooled air so if the fans are working OK I would discount those. In the first instance I would get the air con system tested for leaks, and then, if leak free, re-gassed.

Also when working, ideally air con needs to be used at least once a week throughout the year. This keeps the seals within the system lubricated. In winter, air con used with the heater makes for faster demisting of the windows.

Press the button. Get the green light on. Turn the temp knob all the way to the cold setting. Does the air blowing out the vents feel very cold? Yes? It's working. If it's just ambient temp then it's not working. 

Use it at least once a week for 15 minutes.  Otherwise be prepared to pay out for repairs on a regular basis. 

On 25/09/2016 at 11:46 PM, Pendlelad said:

Hi there,

I bought an Aygo about 3 months ago but its only recently that i've noticed the a/c is not working. It's my first car so im not familiar with how it works etc. The green light comes on when i press the air con button but nothing else (no sound of a fan or anything). The blowers work fine but i would like the air con to work!

Any help would be appreciated but dont get too technical (im not an engineer).

Pendlelad

Hi jack,

I take it your car has manual air conditioning and doesn't have a button marked AUTO.

So you might have the AC switched on, but without turning the fan on, nothing appears to work.

Like others have said, turn the temperature to its coolest and turn the fan on. If you feel really cold air then it will be working.

Next question is did you buy the car from a dealer?

if you have an infa red thermometer close all air vents except 1 have recirc turned on temp set to low and fans on full

you want a reading of around 5 degrees at the air vent.

Take it in for an air con service/regas. The machines most garages use will do a leak check before re-gassing. Make sure to ask for the printout from the machine so you can see how much gas has escaped. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was the same, got it re-gassed, there was a definite drop of idle engine revs when you turned the AC on afterwards and really cold air.

3 weeks later it's lost all the gas again so a leak somewhere, wasn't disclosed at the time of refill but only paid £16 through Groupon :)

• 3 years later...

to be honest I'm sick and tired of the fact that my air conditioner brakes often...

When I took ours in, the guy offered to put some stuff in that sealed up any small leaks. I took him up on this just to be sure even though ours passed the leak test. If its working it should be noticeably cold. You can also see if the pump engages and the centre section on the pulley rotates. If there is no gas in the system then the pump wont energise.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links