Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OBD-II Location 1998 E11 Toyota Corolla

mickburkesnr

I have a bluetooth OBD-II connector which I wanted to plug in to my Corolla to monitor the engine temperatures and give myself a rev counter. Yesterday I went in the footwell of the car and started looking for the ODB-II connector port. I couldn't find it. I looked all underneath the steering column, in the fuse box area behind the auxilary box, and in the engine bay. I managed to find the Toyota diagnostic port but no OBD-II.

The car was built in 1998, and I had thought that all cars came with them at this point? Is it a case of the higher spec cars came with it but my bod standard Corolla wasn't important enough to get one? Or have I just overlooked where it is?

OBD-II wasn't mandatory in Europe until 2001. I could be very wrong but I would be surprised if your car had one.

• Like 1

If it has a Toyota-specific diagnostic port then it's unlikely to also have an OBD-II port. 

As above, they weren't compulsory until 2001, and each manufacturer tended to do their own thing until then.

Well, that's highly annoying. I had a look at lunch and I can see where the OBD-II connector SHOULD be, but I can also see the plastic cover over it. So no OBD-II connector for me.

Is the diagnostic port in the engine bay OBD1, or a Toyota-specific port?

• 3 years later...

My 98 corolla was purchased in Ohio but the “diagnosis” port in the engine compartment sure doesn’t fit an obd II connection. What’s the deal there?

On 1/11/2020 at 3:26 PM, MikeJay said:

My 98 corolla was purchased in Ohio but the “diagnosis” port in the engine compartment sure doesn’t fit an obd II connection. What’s the deal there?

OBD-II wasn't really mandatory in cars until the 2000's. The "diagnosis" port in the engine bay is OBD-I I think. It isn't standard across manufacturers, and Toyota have the special machine to diagnose the car with this port.

But, you can "short" two pins with a paper clip and diagnose engine warning lights with it. So it's quite useful in a rudimentary way. 

What month was you car produced, mine, which was the cheapest Corolla on the market, was in December and has a rev counter fitted as standard?  I seem to remember that there was a model change in September 1998,

• 1 year later...

Anyone has the manual diagnostics proxedure? I cannot find it. I did it once but after swapping engine with a FTE I need to turn off some lights.