Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Instrument lights

Jonmartin

I've had my Yaris for a month now, and have one criticism. The instrument lights are not very clear in low light conditions. All cars I've had prior to this car have had instruments that are lit at all times, not the Yaris. These only are lit when the lights are on.

Is this right or do I have a fault ?

You don't say which model you have - hybrid or non-hybrid.

One can download the full owners manual from - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners-manual#/my-toyota/eManual

For the non-hybrid, page 91 of the fuill Yaris owners manual details how one can adjust the instrumnent lighting.

Thanks. That's another thing I didn't know. I have a non hybrid, the instruments are fine at night with the headlights on, nice red glow. But during normal day time conditions the instruments are quite dull, and if driving along shaded roads are very difficult if not impossible to read. Seems odd in new car, that the instruments are not lit at all times.

Sounds as though you just need to adjust the instrument lighting - see my first post.

I've adjusted the brightness of the instruments when the headlights are on, no problem. But the speedo, rev counter and fuel gauge are NOT lit with the headlights off. I think I'll contact my dealer. 

Problem solved. The instruments are only lit when the lights headlights are on.

.....and I think that's the way it should be for all cars, far too many motors running around in dull, dark, and or wet conditions without headlights. Not being able to see their dash would (I'd like to think) prompt 'em to put the headlights on.

Automatic lights may have helped with drivers forgetting at night time but as for dull rainy conditions they (auto lights) are a liability. The auto system should be linked to the wipers, that is, if the wipers are switched on / auto activated (as opposed to flick/wash wipe) then the headlights should come on?

Just my thoughts.

Stay alert, BJ Notts.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Berisford said:

.....and I think that's the way it should be for all cars, far too many motors running around in dull, dark, and or wet conditions without headlights. Not being able to see their dash would (I'd like to think) prompt 'em to put the headlights on.

Automatic lights may have helped with drivers forgetting at night time but as for dull rainy conditions they (auto lights) are a liability. The auto system should be linked to the wipers, that is, if the wipers are switched on / auto activated (as opposed to flick/wash wipe) then the headlights should come on?

Just my thoughts.

Stay alert, BJ Notts.

Well, that's exactly the gap that DRLs fill, and they are a lot better than dipped headlights.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Berisford said:

Just my thoughts.

Stay alert, BJ Notts.

3 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

Well, that's exactly the gap that DRLs fill, and they are a lot better than dipped headlights.

Depends whether the DRL's are bulb or LED types. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MikeSh said:

I agree, I used to be quite sceptical about having lights on during day time, but I must say the DRL are very useful to avoid some confusions on the road, especially stationary cars. This is especially useful when you are in a very narrow road with cars parked on both sides.

There's a lot of motors on the road built in the time span between the introduction of auto lights and the compulsory lighted DRL's. Our 14 reg Yaris is an example.

I accept that as time goes on the compulsory lighted DRLs will eradicate the problem but it's going to take another 10 years at least.

I saw a fairly new car, Audi i think it was on the M25 one night driving along merrily (in the middle lane I should add) with just the DRL's on. They were illuminating the road in front of him quite well but absolutely nothing on the rear of the car! 

No amount of light flashing from me or anyone else made him turn them on..

Craig.

38 minutes ago, craggle said:

I saw a fairly new car, Audi i think it was on the M25 one night driving along merrily (in the middle lane I should add) with just the DRL's on. They were illuminating the road in front of him quite well but absolutely nothing on the rear of the car! 

No amount of light flashing from me or anyone else made him turn them on..

Craig.

As far as he was concerned, the dash was illuminated therefore his lights were on!

If dash lights didn't come on until headlights are switched on then there wouldn't be any confusion for the dim-wits.........(ha, see what I did there?)......OK, I'll get my coat. (insert smiley face)

Stay alert. BJ Nottingham.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Depends whether the DRL's are bulb or LED types. 

I disagree - even filament DRLs are clearer and less energy consuming than dipped headlights.

When I say clearer I mean in the sense of unambiguosity (not sure if that is a proper word) - dipped headlights can cause confusion.

The reason behind daytime running lights is to improve the visibility of one's vehicle to other road users (drivers,pedestrians and cyclists) - not to provide the driver with additional light to drive by.

See the following extract from the Dept for Transport Information Sheet on Daytime Running Lights (November 2010):

Dedicated Daytime Running Lights Daytime Running Lights are Purpose-made, low wattage lights that can be fitted to a vehicle and used during the day to improve the visibility of a vehicle to other drivers as well as pedestrians, cyclists and other road users. They do not need to be operated manually as they automatically activate when the engine is started and turn off when the engine stops or when headlights are switched on at night. DRL are necessarily bright to ensure they are visible in the daytime but not so bright that they will dazzle others. However they are too bright for night time use and are not intended to illuminate the road in the dark. If used at night they will cause dazzle and discomfort to others and so drivers should always switch to their position lamps or headlamps at night.