Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

speed sensor location on gearbox

786s13

Hi guys, 

Ive been having a few speedo related issues so wanted to check the wiring on where the speed sensor comes from the gearbox. Had a look in the engine bay and thought i pulled out the connector for the speed sensor (top of gearbox on the right hand side of the engine bay under air box) but my speed still work as before. Can anyone tell me the exact location of where it is in the 1.6 manual engined car? 

Thanks as always. 

J

Think you will find that connector is for the reversing light switch.

Assume your model is ABS, if so then believe it gets all the speed info from the abs sensors via the ECU etc.

Its only the older  Non ABS models that had a speed sensor on the gearbox, as far as I know.

What are your "issues" , has the ABS check light come on at all ?

Done any work on your brakes/driveshafts recently ?

Thanks for the reply.. 

The speedo isn't smooth and jumps up/down when driving.. Thought it was a simple clean the connector job but sounds more tricky now.. 

Yes the car has abs..  And no warning lights are on. 

Humm.. :) 

Edited by 786s13
Abs added

No experience of the ABS system, other than to suggest you carefully  check the tip of the abs speed sensors and the notched rings on all wheels for any debris.

From your  description of  the fault, wonder if the actual speedo dial mechanism is faulty,  though difficult to test /prove without the right stuff.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links