Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox problems

Bojan

Hi guys. I am a proud owner of 2007 1.4 diesel auris 5spd manual 198000km.

Problem that I have is that I can not shift from 4th to 3rd gear. That is possible only when i am braking.

Did anyone had a problem like that and what could be the cause of that strange behaviour?

Thank you in advance for your help.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have the same problem with my auris.. how did you solve it? For what i know it is a problem with the syncro. 

First thing that comes to mind gear selector our of alignment, or the gear lever/gearbox bushings are used up, and there's  too much slack.

I don't know if this would apply for your car, but this is the general procedure, and it takes like 5 min, so try it out.

Unscrew the knob, after that pop the leather and the  collar that goes around it. You should be able to have nice access to the gear selector knob, and the cables.

Move it left and right, and identify which cable is being moved. Mark it's position. There should be a fine adjuster screw there. Try moving it up/down and testing it out.

Adjuster also might be on the gearbox side, if that's not it, check the slack, and the bushings, have someone move the gearbox selector while you check it under the car.

Hi, I didn't solve the problem on mine, because I traded it for a bigger car. The guy who bought it said that only the gearbox oil must be changed and the car will be ok. 

If the adjustment that furtula suggested will not solve the problem maybe try to replace the oil. But I think that adjustment would solve the problem if the problem would be with 1st, 2nd, 5th or reverse gear.

Is your problem also with the 3rd gear? 

If you decide to change the oil, save the original one. I had a problem of not going into gear at full stop, which only occurred 3 out of 10 times, and only when cold. After change, it was worse, changed the oil again, it was a bit better, but still nowhere near factory one. Luckily, if i released the clutch a bit, the gear would pop in easy, no noises or etc, so i just lived with it. Once warmed up, it was fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you can change down only when braking it suggests that the engine or gearbox mounts are slack, allowing the combined unit to move excessively. This could move it out of alignment enough that these kinds of problems occur. I suggest thorough inspection of all mounts and replacement of any that show distress of the rubber. At least that's where I'd be looking first. I'd be very interested to know if/what you find.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• 5 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I have auris 2008  1,4 diesel  335000 kilometers bought car with one problem, it will go 1 to 5 up perfect but from 4th  to 3rd it won't go in .  I have to slot it into 2nd gear and move up to 3rd and so on to 4 and 5th gear it only happens going down gear  so would it be synchronizer issues and not going to main dealer they said they must open it to see wat is problem, so between 500 € and 2000 they said  well %$( that I need better guess than that.

It does sound very much like a synchromesh issue. Swap gearbox or get it repaired. Either way gearbox has to come out.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links