Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Xenon lights got fried?

Charis IQ3

Hello.

I would like to ask if any of you has ever experience getting his xenon lights bulbs and plugs almost completely fried. I change the bulbs 6 months ago to 8000K ones so i get a more blue/white colour out of the lights and a couple of days ago i checked them and found out that everything almost melted... After removing the 8000k ones and cleaning the plugs from burnt materials i realized that when i switch my lights on the revs fall from 400 to 300 . I didn't notice if that also happen before discovering the problem so i dont know if this has affected the car in a mechanical way. Any of you had the same or similar experience? 

Thanks for reading.
Charis.

They obviously draw a lot more power than the proper HIR2 bulbs do. Surprised the fuse didn't melt first though.

Craig.

Hello Craig thanks for replying.

Would you recommend keeping the factory lights on and not using 8000k again?

What type and make of bulbs are they? Just wonder if they were a brand name or a cheaper version and what wattage they are. The standard bulbs are 55W but you can buy 80W and 100W versions.

Have you put the standard bulbs back in to see if the revs drop when they are on?

I once tried GP Thunder 55W blue coloured bulbs, Think they were 7500K but I hated them and took them out at the end of the first journey! They were dimmer than the standard bulb and the colour was a horrible cold light and it made everything appear one colour. It was quite hard to define the difference between the edge of the road and the grass if there wasn't a curb between the two. I got some genuine Philips HIR2 bulbs and put them in to replace the blown Toshiba bulb and will stick to them. 

Craig.

Anything higher than 55 watt are illegal for road use.

& the factory HIDs on my Avensis are 35W.

I just got the new lights packaging says its the same stats as the factory ones 35W with just 8000k rather 6000k still same problem if the car is idle and already warmed up RPMS drop 100Rpms lower while the engine starts tingling?

And yes Craig the engine does drop with the factory bulbs on the thing i am being bothered by is that i dont seem to remember if that was happening before the melt down.

Seems to be working good tho no burning smell no meltdown on the bulbs gonna check them for a few months and repost again for new information.

Thanks for reading,

Charis.

I'll try turning my lights on and off later and see what my engine revs do as we have the same engine.

Craig.

• Like 1

Did a test this morning and no change in the revs on my car. 

I tried it after driving to work so the engine was up to temp and ticking over at it's normal 800 odd rpm. I turned the lights off completely and on again a few times but noted no change in the revs on the rev counter or heard any change either.

Have you got a digital multimeter that you could put across the Battery and measure the voltage when the car is running?

Craig.

I think i will be trying that what the most logical voltage i can get as a result?

With the engine running a normal alternator should be pushing out around 14.2 volts. It may be a bit lower if you check straight after you have started the car but it should be over 14 volts at all times.

Craig.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links