Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris battery connected round wrong way

Scratty

Hi, I am new to this so please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong place.

I managed to connect my 2001 Yaris 1.3 Battery round the wrong way after charging it externally (yes I know that wasn't a good idea), I have obviously blown something as none of the internal electricals work except for the courtesy light. The headlights work and the engine starts no problem at all. Can anyone give me an idea if there is a main fuse that may have blown, I have checked all the obvious ones under the bonnet and under the dash but am unsure as to which one(s) it might be. I have attached photos of the fuse boxes if that's any use. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

Check all the big ones with 30, 40 and 50 on them

I don't have any spares of the big fuses, is there any way of checking them just by looking at them? 

The are transparent so if you pull them out you can see the 'element'. If it's well blown it'll be fairly easy to see, but sometimes the break is little more than a crack, so the most reliable way to test is to connect a meter (set to Ohms) across the blades to check continuity.

I have tested all the fuses I could find in the fuse box under the bonnet and the one under the drivers side dashboard, I did find one 15amp fuse that was blown but still not working now it's been replaced. Is there anything else I can check or is this going to be a very expensive visit to Toyota? 

I would have thought that it is quite possible that you have blown the diode pack on the Alternator by doing what you have done? (if the pack has blown short circuit then nothing will work no matter how many fuses you change)

Is that a replacement part or is it a new alternator? I am not really very technical as you can probably tell! Would the engine still start and headlights (but not sidelights) still work if that was the case? Also the interior courtesy light is working too. 

I'm not sure about the Yaris to be honest. It could be just a replacement diode pack on its own or you may need to get a complete replacement alternator (if it is indeed faulty). The thing to bear in mind about (filament) lights in general is that they don't care about polarity and will work fine either way around...

• 4 years later...

Hi Scratty, what was the outcome of the issue that you had? I’ve made the same mistake when trying to replace a Battery and the terminals were opposite to the original! How did you resolve the dead electrics on the car?

It's more than likely that you have blown the fusible link(ALT) that's fitted to the +ve terminal of the Battery (under the red plastic cover/flap).

Do your power windows work?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links