Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

motorway driving and "rev" counter

MetManMark

All

We have only had our 2015 facelift hybrid for a month or so. So far we are very impressed. I have done loads of reading - mainly on this forum - about when to use the different modes and different driving styles to get the most out of your hybrid. Typically I leave the car in "normal" apart from when I am in town in which case I put it in "eco" as I figure I don't really need the performance. I occasionally put it in "power" when I turn out of  T-junction or trying to get on to  busy roundabout. But we are still feeling our way.

Despite my reading I have a couple of questions:

1) We are going to France and will b on a motorway for about 3 hours in total. What mode should I leave the car in to make max use of the Battery? Is "eco" still the best when cruising at 110km/hr or does "power" use more of the Battery in conjunction with the petrol mode.

2) I know that below the halfway point in the "eco" zone the car will keep in EV if appropriate but then when you go above halfway the petrol kicks in. This I understand so drive accordingly. Is there any difference once you move out of the eco zone other than the needle turning red? Does the car operate with petrol and electric? 

Thanks in advance

Mark

• 5 months later...

I leave mine in Eco mostly all the time, even on motorways in France. I never use Normal mode.

I only sometimes use Power when in an impatient hurry (always polite and respectful!). B-mode I used to use a lot for motor-breaking for traffic lights and motorway exits. But I recently learned B-mode might actually use more fuel, so I've stopped doing that. Eco all the time.

Whatever, the MPG for Auris Hybrid is very disappointing. For me it's boring refuel 38 litre every 650km. My colleague has a Megane diesel with refuel every 1500km! I'm jealous!

I leave mine in ECO 99% of the time. Drove to Germany last August, with a roof box on top and driving at 70 on the motorway on both sides of the north sea, I still managed to 56Mpg with 3 people and lots of luggage/ bottles. 36 litres takes me from 400miles/643Km to 500/800Km, difference between winter and summer. That's with me being lazy by using cruise control and not doing the pulse and glide.

On 16/10/2016 at 4:37 PM, MetManMark said:

All

We have only had our 2015 facelift hybrid for a month or so. So far we are very impressed. I have done loads of reading - mainly on this forum - about when to use the different modes and different driving styles to get the most out of your hybrid. Typically I leave the car in "normal" apart from when I am in town in which case I put it in "eco" as I figure I don't really need the performance. I occasionally put it in "power" when I turn out of  T-junction or trying to get on to  busy roundabout. But we are still feeling our way.

Despite my reading I have a couple of questions:

1) We are going to France and will b on a motorway for about 3 hours in total. What mode should I leave the car in to make max use of the battery? Is "eco" still the best when cruising at 110km/hr or does "power" use more of the battery in conjunction with the petrol mode.

2) I know that below the halfway point in the "eco" zone the car will keep in EV if appropriate but then when you go above halfway the petrol kicks in. This I understand so drive accordingly. Is there any difference once you move out of the eco zone other than the needle turning red? Does the car operate with petrol and electric? 

Thanks in advance

Mark

As I understand it,

1) The different modes just have a slight difference, Eco has a slower response to your right foot and tones down the aircon, power just acts quicker. never use normal.

2) Going into the power zone doesn't mean both petrol and electric, just that the engine is rpm is no longer in its most efficient range. Watching the power flow, the electric motor just kicks in briefly to prevent over charging.

Regularly drive across Spain on motorways - leave it in"eco" most of the time - cruise control set at indicated 120kph which is about 112kph actual - my long-term average consumption is 5.5l/100km (51mpg) - that's with the 17" wheels - previous Auris on 15" wheels did 55mpg with similar motoring. Do about 15-18,000 kms and fuel costs €1100 approx. per annum, so 5-10% savings, say €100, aren't a big factor compared with other costs of motoring. Sit back and enjoy the scenery, and don't get too hung up on fuel saving

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links