Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlight bulb upgrade?

Kuneha

I've been doing some reading on this forum and it seems people have issues with which bulb to use.

HIR2 seem to be what they are so I wish to stick to these.

I don't want to install a HID kit as these are halogen light units so that idea doesn't sit with me well.

Are there any bulbs of the HIR2 design that are whiter and brighter?

Contrary to what some people say on this forum that the standard bulbs are adequate, I feel that they're not quite there.

Thanks.

• Like 1

HIR2 bulbs are approx 75-80% brighter than standard halogen bulbs.

When HIR bulbs were first introduced there were three main manufacturers - GE, Toshiba and Philips. GE and Toshiba eventually withdrew, leaving Philips, and then Osram came on board with their offering approx 2 years ago.

I contacted Osram by e-mail enquiring whether they had plans to introduce Nightbreaker versions of the HIR2 bulbs, and the reply was that as the HIR2 bulbs are already more efficient than standard halogen, they had no plans to introduce upgrade bulbs in this fitment.

9006 bulbs are available as upgrade bulbs, but require a modification to the base before being fitted - examples:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Diamond-Vision-Upgrade-Headlight/dp/B00E9YE5VS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476822550&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+9006+upgrade+bulbs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OSRAM-NIGHT-BREAKER-UNLIMITED-Headlight/dp/B00FQ8ANTE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476822589&sr=8-1&keywords=osram+9006+upgrade+bulbs

The above Philips bulbs will give a whiter, but not birghter light

The above Osram bulbs will give a whiter, and brighter (approx 30% brighter than HIR2's) light.

• Like 1

I genuinely appreciate the reply. The forum seems quiet sometimes.

What kind of modification will be needed on the bulbs? A rough explanation will help as I will attempt this.

Thanks

Any of the clubs (Auris, Aygo, Yaris, IQ, etc) can have their quiet times. Think it depends what subjects are raised and how much debate these raise, etc. .

Think a tab needs to be removed from the base of the 9006 bulbs to fit in place of the 9012.

There is a post on here at the minute of someone who fitted non standard, non HIR2 bulbs and melted the connectors and wiring to them due to the higher current they draw. 

Do yourself a favour and stick to the standard bulbs. I replaced both my Toshiba originals with Philips versions when one blew and there was a difference in brightness so maybe the new ones are an improved design over the older ones.

Craig.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing some reading and it appears that though 9006 bulbs can be used with minor surgery, their lumen output isn't close to the HIR2/9012 we use OEM.

It seems there are no natural upgrades to the HIR2/9012 and that I am pretty much stuck with them.

I've read more about HID kits and would be happy with a normal 4300K 35W HID but they're now illegal as auto-leveling and headlight washers are now a legal requirement for HIDs to be legal. This rather sucks as our projector units seem to be quite comfortable with HID conversions without causing glare to other road users.

I actually at this point have no choice but to put up with the little amount of light these headlights are putting out without either chopping away at bulbs or risking HID kits therefore making me a naughty criminal.

Sucks.

My earlier post indicated that HIR2 bulbs are 75-80% brighter than standard halogen. If you went for 9006 upgrade bulbs, such as Osram Night Breaker which are around 110% brighter than standard halogen and 100% road legal, you should get  bulbs approx 30% brighter than the HIR2 bulbs. As the halogen upgrade bulbs from the likes of Osram, Phillips, Ring (although these are made by Alise, who also make Halfords upgrade bulbs) etc, are the same wattage as standard halogen bulbs, there should be little prospect of overheating occurring

HID kits are said to be illegal as aftermarket fitments - and certainly few if any, will be E-marked.

• Like 1

Well I've installed a set of Osram NBU by trimming the tab on the base, and while the light is brighter the spread pattern is extremely blotchy and uneven. The bulbs don't illuminate the road ahead evenly and I cannot figure out why. Perhaps these headlight units are truly only meant for HIR2.

Feel like I wasted money, I'll see if I can improve the lights but to be honest it just seems like a ppoor upgrade. I will try and get an image to demonstrate later on.

I do appreciate the help, however.

If the focal length of the bulb is different, ie. distance from the base (tabs) to the middle of the filament you will get a different beam pattern. Just like you do with a torch with variable focus.

Took a picture, it seems the pattern is slightly the same.

The HIR2 on the left and Osram to the right. The HIR2 seems brighter and more spread apart. The Osram seems sharper and less bright.

Thoughts?

unnamed.jpg

• Like 1

the individual (n/s & o/s) lights will have different patterns so you would need to take photos of the same light with the different bulbs.

• Like 1

Personally, I'm not a fan of HID's even factory fitted ones. Even if the headlights are not dazzeling on wet reoads you get so much reflection the road dazzles you!

4 hours ago, Soeley said:

Personally, I'm not a fan of HID's even factory fitted ones. 

The Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited aren't HID's

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited aren't HID's

Yes, I know. I was just saying as they were mentioned earlier in this thread ;)

• 3 years later...

..Nothing new here, just a rant. Having bought a 2009 IQ2 in 2017 i purchased new bulbs from Halfords last year. Becoming shocked at no improvement  I came across these threads.  What were Toyota thinking!!!!!????!!!!. My late Father's (ex-Toyota employee in Parts Division -Crawley back in the day) 1991 Vauxhall Rascal has better, and proper glass too, headlamps!! My MR2 Mk1 was a big improvement over the latter, but on unlit roads in the IQ,  getting to work is dangerous and sucks in my IQ. Real shame as love the car, but Toyota...why???? Couple of days ago i drove a Citreon C1, like the old Aygo...no problem with that puppy, so assume the early Aygo one can actually drive on unlit roads unlike the IQ. Just bought PIAA Hyper Arros HIR2. Probably kidding myself..but at least will have a spare set if no better...Bad Toyota...you crippled the IQ..thinking before i fit these, I will no doubt have to get the Rascal roadworthy for the winter commute..Bad Toyota..Bad,bad,bad Toyota!!!

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Shouting removed

2 hours ago, Arw11 said:

PIAA Hyper Arros HIR2

If you haven't fitted them yet, these bulbs seem to have very mixed reviews. But, it would be interesting to see how yours shape up.

You are probably aware that the HIR2 bulbs are also fitted into, for example, some Yaris, Auris, Vauxhall Insignia, Ampera and a raft of US-only cars, as far as I can make out.

Some Ampera owners have done some experiments with their under-performing headlamps here:- https://www.speakev.com/threads/improving-light-beam-performance.130758/page-16

But it's a long thread, and heads into the realms of LED replacement bulbs.

In any case, Vauxhall (Suzuki) obviously spent a lot of time and money getting the Rascal headlamps just right, so understandable that it is at the top of the pile of the H4 (472) equipped micro vans.  :-)

7 hours ago, Arw11 said:

..Nothing new here, just a rant. Having bought a 2009 IQ2 in 2017 i purchased new bulbs from Halfords last year. Becoming shocked at no improvement  I came across these threads.  What were Toyota thinking!!!!!????!!!!. My late Father's (ex-Toyota employee in Parts Division -Crawley back in the day) 1991 Vauxhall Rascal has better, and proper glass too, headlamps!! My MR2 Mk1 was a big improvement over the latter, but on unlit roads in the IQ,  getting to work is dangerous and sucks in my IQ. Real shame as love the car, but Toyota...why???? Couple of days ago i drove a Citreon C1, like the old Aygo...no problem with that puppy, so assume the early Aygo one can actually drive on unlit roads unlike the IQ. Just bought PIAA Hyper Arros HIR2. Probably kidding myself..but at least will have a spare set if no better...Bad Toyota...you crippled the IQ..thinking before i fit these, I will no doubt have to get the Rascal roadworthy for the winter commute..Bad Toyota..Bad,bad,bad Toyota!!!

Totally agree. I find using the fog lights on unlit country lanes helps a fair bit.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Iceman29 said:

Totally agree. I find using the fog lights on unlit country lanes helps a fair bit.

Thanks. I will give it a go! 😊Fitted the PIAA bulbs. A bit whiter, slightly brighter (I think), but the light doesn't seem to get projected far enough anyhows, even with the headlight adjuster dial. ☹️ Pain when commuting along the Horsham to Guildford road. Oh well, roll on the Winter Equinox!!😊🙏👍

This is really an outdated topic.

Toyota have had their Optiwhite HIR2 bulbs available to buy since 2017, which are supposed to be 60% brighter than standard HIR2 bulbs (which themselves are supposed to be around 70% brighter than standard halogen bulbs). Made by Philips. See - 

The PIAA Hyper Arros HIR2 bulbs are supposed to be 120% brighter than standard halogen.

We've had Optiwhites installed in our 2016 Aygo since late 2017, and there is a reasonable improvement over the OE  fit bulbs.

Of course the drawback with any halogen bulb upgrade (ie +120% ) is reduced life.

48 minutes ago, Iceman29 said:

All halogen bulbs deteriorate with age, and if yours are the original bulbs, performance will be reduced.

• 1 month later...

I've just fitted a set of LED halogen replacement bulbs to my wifes' 2010 Toyota IQ and although this has improved the overall brightness, it has just highlighted the fact that the light spread from the projector units is rubbish. The curb side is very well lit, but the road directly in front not so much. the new LED bulbs are a 1:1 size with the HIR2 halogens and are supposedly 10,000 lumens. I looked at many of the reviews on the different makes and opted for the NOVSIGHT 9012 units £40 for the pair.

Can you adjust how the projector units spread the light?

• 4 weeks later...

I've just purchased a set of the PIAA bulbs. Haven't got them yet but will let you know what they are like when they do arrive. 

I hate LED and HID lights so it was the PIAA ones or the Toyota Optiwhites. Hope I made the right choice...

Craig.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 7:14 AM, smartiebandit said:

I've just fitted a set of LED halogen replacement bulbs to my wifes' 2010 Toyota IQ and although this has improved the overall brightness, it has just highlighted the fact that the light spread from the projector units is rubbish. The curb side is very well lit, but the road directly in front not so much. the new LED bulbs are a 1:1 size with the HIR2 halogens and are supposedly 10,000 lumens. I looked at many of the reviews on the different makes and opted for the NOVSIGHT 9012 units £40 for the pair.

Can you adjust how the projector units spread the light?

Yes, you properly adjust the projectors by removing the NOVSIGHT LED bulbs and installing them in the nearest rubbish bin, and then installing a pair of proper HIR2/9012 bulbs, from Osram or Philips or GE or another major brand that you like. 

The projector is actually excellent. The issue is that the LED bulbs are not a 1:1 size with HIR2 halogens: 

j1S7YoR.png

Deviations from the actual diameter of the HIR2 filament creates a bad beam pattern and causes the same stuff that you've noticed: light hitting the curb instead of projecting far down the road. 

NcNNqhe.png

Also, 10,000 lumens is not possible. Current white LED chip technology is at about 100 lumens/watt. "10,000" lumens would imply that these bulbs draw 100 watts, or nearly twice that of the stock HIR2 halogens. Your wiring would be up in smoke by now if they actually drew anything close to 100 watts. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

After much head scratching, I'm just thinking of getting Toyota to replace my (aged?) headlight bulbs with newer... Toyota headlight bulbs...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links