Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T27 Track Rod (steering rack)

ooglewoogle

Have been experiencing the tiniest of clunks while turning close to full lock at slow speeds in our 1.8 Tourer. It was in for it's service this week, and the mechanic confirmed that there is a small amount of play on the track rod at the rack end. Reading back through some old threads in here, I seem to be seeing that there was an issue with this and that at the time, Toyota didn't list a part for the track rod, and specified the whole rack to be replaced.

Can anyone with experience/knowledge of this comment on the current situation? Obviously, I am reluctant to change the rack if unecessary....and I see what I think is the right part now listed by a few parts makers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BTR5719-BORG-BECK-STEERING-RACK-END-L-R-Toyota-Avensis-T27-2008-/152028376725?hash=item236598ee95:g:3S4AAOSwGYVW9QoO

http://www.delphicat.com/WebForms/frmDelphiHome.aspx?territory=3&language=1&yearFormat=UK&MMLRegion=1#1476851837067

Is this what I am after? I will have a mechanic relative fit it soon on a visit, just need to get the right part. I see a couple of very low mileage racks available if need be.

Cheers again.

You are on the right track and if one of the inner joint has play and you can get the part separately, get it. So long as it is of good quality and fits well, it should be okay. Toyota can be a bit lazy in this respect. Why pay for a whole expensive rack, when you can buy part at a fraction of the cost? I would do the same if in the same position.

The hardest part will be access. After that tracking. 

Here is a diagram of the rack and the inner ball joints are on the rack, not as separate parts.

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2009/avensis/zrt271r-awfepw/2_273560_041_410W/powertrain-chassis/4505_front-steering-gear-link

I am not an expert but have done a few things on cars. I once swapped the ABS ECU on my old Avensis, when most garages think you should change the whole unit, and then bleed the system. It's strange that third parties make a part that Toyota cannot supply!

• Like 1

Thanks Konrad! Much appreciated. A bit torn as there is a recentish low mileage intact rack available just now for £100. Several manufacturers have the inner tie rod for £15-£20. I would just be interested to hear if anyone here has had to deal with this recently....and could comment on the job.

I agree, strange indeed that Toyota don't supply the part....that's making me second guess myself a bit I guess. The fact that there are 3 or 4 parts makers, including FirstLine/Delphi, listing the inner tie, suggests it should be ok though I hope.

Needing to do the drivers side wishbone too....getting pretty rusted up - wind driven salt....island life!

Sláinte

ps. Great link to parts diagram, one for the bookmarks. Cheers.

Don't be put off by the fact that Toyota don't list a part remember their parts list is driven by the assembly process on the line just like many manufacturers. As an example my X5 started to wear the inside edge of the rear tyres the tyre shop couldn't get the adjustment in spec due to wear in the swing arm bushes BMW list only the complete swing arm (at a suitably BMW price of course), yet Lemforder and Meyle are OEM suppliers and sell the bushes??

It took a Saturday morning with the help of one of my sons (they are younger and bendier) to change the 4 bushes 2 per side (£54) we also changed the 4 adjustment bolts for good measure (£28) I also brought a suspension refurb kit off eBay (£120) and while we were in there we changed the lot and all for less than half the cost of a single swing arm from BMW, the most expensive was the 4 wheel alignment after we finished the work.. That was 2 years ago and all is still fine.

• Like 2

My thoughts on this would be to swap the track rod arm only. The rack on your vehicle is in order - no leaks. Replacing the arm won't compromise the rack itself. 

Fitting the salvage rack will be more costly labour wise and is also an unknown quantity. The seals could be damaged. Even if it's guaranteed it won't cover the additional labour involved should it be faulty. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 10/27/2016 at 3:32 AM, ooglewoogle said:

Thanks Konrad! Much appreciated. A bit torn as there is a recentish low mileage intact rack available just now for £100. Several manufacturers have the inner tie rod for £15-£20. I would just be interested to hear if anyone here has had to deal with this recently....and could comment on the job.

I agree, strange indeed that Toyota don't supply the part....that's making me second guess myself a bit I guess. The fact that there are 3 or 4 parts makers, including FirstLine/Delphi, listing the inner tie, suggests it should be ok though I hope.

Needing to do the drivers side wishbone too....getting pretty rusted up - wind driven salt....island life!

Sláinte

ps. Great link to parts diagram, one for the bookmarks. Cheers.

Hi Glen, just wondering did this fix your problem with your avensis, Im getting a rattlingg sound coming from what sound like behind my steering wheel, and especially over uneven surfaces ... So frustrating !!!

Thanks

Mort

21 minutes ago, MORTHORGAN@HOTMAIL.COM said:

Hi Glen, just wondering did this fix your problem with your avensis, Im getting a rattlingg sound coming from what sound like behind my steering wheel, and especially over uneven surfaces ... So frustrating !!!

Thanks

Mort

Hi Mort, hope you manage to get to the bottom of this....no sign of any broken springs or suspension parts?

My problem was more a loud clunk, heard/felt through the steering wheel when turning at slow speeds/parking. I eventually traced it to the upper steering column, which I believe has been a problem for others too. The lubrication on the splines dry up and bind....when the wheel would turn to full lock, the pressure would snap the bind with a horrible clunk. Was a relatively easy footwell job to remove the upper shaft and regrease...remembering to tape/tie the wheel to center position while doing it.

• Like 1

Have you read this topic?