Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yellow spanner light

Urban 1780

Yellow spanner light is coming on and off intermittently can be on for days or hours at a time. Due to go back to dealer again next week they asked me to log journeys and miles traveled!

I had the 16 months before this happened doing my usual journeys the recent recall was implemented which helped for a couple of weeks but the problem is back car not due a service by the way. I have never put oil in it. Dealer writing to Toyota for advice after more or less blaming my driving and doing short journeys I told them would not want to take a car on a long journey with a warning light on which is annoying In the dark as very bright.

The light w on all weekend and went off 5 minutes after leaving the garage but will be on again by tomorrow I expect!

• 11 months later...

So why does the spanner light light then not light the next time you use the car?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

As title the light comes on after about 20 mins driving. The handbook says it's a service light,but was serviced 3k ago. I reset the service light with the trip button but the light came on x2 days later. Anything else I can try? Oh and the oil level is about 1cm above the max .

Thanks in advance.

diesel?

If so could be an issue with the dpf allowing fuel into the sump. This is bad news, suggest that you consult a dealer.

I understood flashing and solid yellow spanner lamps are completely different indicators. Flashing is oil trouble,solid is service??

Fixed it, the oil level was 1cm high so I just sucked it back to the top mark on the stick and all good. I'll be keeping an eye on it incase it goes up on its own tho

• 2 weeks later...

I plugged in a code reader tonight and no stored codes. Very strange as the spanner now comes on daily after about 10 or 15 miles driving. It doesn't seem to matter if it is in traffic or on a clear run it appears to be distance related. Surely if the problem was serious the light would be on much sooner? I'll try and read the code when it next appears.

Any thoughts welcome.

If the light flashes on start up then its a service reminder if it comes on and stays on it indicates an oil level issue either too low/high. Is your oil level correct?

if it is but the light is still coming on then you may have a faulty level sensor in the sump.

• Like 1

Urban crusier yellow light for me was DPF which was eventually changed. Less than a year later same issue resolved by adding DPF cleaner to fuel a few times cheaper than replacing filter..................then selling car and buying a petrol model!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

just to add to this 2 year old but still relevent topic.

I didnt take any action after the dashboard spanner light came on between services (not blinking). Eventually the engine warning light came on, accompanied by most of the other dashboard lights (skid control; VSC; ABS) and a drastic reduction in engine power (limp home). D4D Urban cruiser 2010 85000 miles.

Cured by sucking about a pint of oil up the dipstick tube using a syringe type oil extractor pump from Halfords and one metre 5mm OD plastic tube from B&Q. Removing a cupful caused the engine light to extinguish and the engine power to return. I had thought that once the engine light was on, it had to be reset by a plugin ECU analyser.

Removing one pint dropped the level to about mid way between the min and max dip stick marks, and put the spanner light out.

Thats the short version. Some other points:

When the spanner light first came on, I took the car back to the dealer who had carried out the last service. They thought maybe the service indicator hadnt been reset after the last service. They reserviced the car, which should have included changing the oil. Shortly after (two weeks?) the spanner light came on (not flashing) and I checked the oil level. Just above max and not smelling of diesel. It didnt look like new oil. I could be wrong.

When the car went into limp home I had just started out for France from Edinburgh (sods law) and diverted to a dealer near Manchester, asking them to read the fault codes and advise. They said they would have to keep the car in once they had read the codes (cost 100+) to fix it and in any case were fully booked. They did give us a nice cup of coffee though.

I bought the pump and drained the oil (into a plastic bottle for later disposal) on our way to and through France. The thought of limping to France and then claiming on holiday breakdown insurance never crossed my mind.

The pump didnt work straight off as it wouldnt hold suction long enough (there was an airleak). Cured by inserting the plastic wrapping in came in into the thread of its screw-on base cap (I cant say '!Removed!" as the automatic sensor replaces the word '!Removed!' with 'removed').

Hope this is helpful

Richard

Edited by richardthe675th
auto sensor removed word '!Removed!"

• 2 years later...

Owner's manual 2011 page 360...worked like a charm after authorized service shop (croatia, eu) declined to perform the service and had not given any customer supoort (nor mentioned owner's manual).... Lucky me as I'm digitally literate

• 10 months later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links