Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reversing Lights not working

Ken57

After 5 years I have the first problem on my '11 plate Yaris T Spirit MMT.

I have just been made aware that neither of my reversing lights are working. However the parking sensors are working OK.

How should I procede to identify cause of (and repair) the problem.

Many thanks in advance for any help members can provide.

Ken

Have you checked the bulb/s?

1 hour ago, Ken57 said:

I have just been made aware that neither of my reversing lights are working. 

There'a a fair chance it only has one reversing light, and the corresponding light on the other side of the car will be the foglight. First port of call would be to check the bulb(s) as Frosty says above. 

3 hours ago, alan333 said:

There'a a fair chance it only has one reversing light, and the corresponding light on the other side of the car will be the foglight. First port of call would be to check the bulb(s) as Frosty says above. 

Why a fair chance that it only has one reversing light? A white fog light?  I think not.  My fog light is red and my two reversing lights are white.  I've been driving for 50 years and know the difference between fog lights and reversing lights.

As a clue to those who might be a little more technically minded I was thinking along the following lines.  Since it is an automatic with rear sensors I believe the reversing switch has 4 contacts, 2 for the sensors and 2 for the reversing lights. Since the sensors are working is there still a possibility that the reversing switch is duff? And yes, the first port of call was the obvious - bulbs.

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Yes

5 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

4 hours ago, alan333 said:

47 minutes ago, Ken57 said:

Why a fair chance that it only has one reversing light? A white fog light?  I think not.  My fog light is red and my two reversing lights are white.  I've been driving for 50 years and know the difference between fog lights and reversing lights.

As a clue to those who might be a little more technically minded I was thinking along the following lines.  Since it is an automatic with rear sensors I believe the reversing switch has 4 contacts, 2 for the sensors and 2 for the reversing lights. Since the sensors are working is there still a possibility that the reversing switch is duff? And yes, the first port of call was the obvious - bulbs.

Rather than getting ratty and endeavouring to be sarcastic with members who have made suggestions as to possible cause, no matter how obvious, it would have helped if you had outlined in your first post what checks you had already made.

The attitude isn't helping, and won't encourage other members to reply.

• Like 2

With the fog lamp in the lower right hand bumper, you have two reverse light bulbs in the main rear lamps. You could have two bulbs blown or the reverse switch is not working (in gearbox). I don't think the reverse sensors are at fault, try the obvious, bulbs first, switch second

1 hour ago, Ken57 said:

Because most cars these days (especially cheaper end) only have 1 reversing & 1 fog (a personal pet hate).

My understanding is that reversing sensors usually tap into the cable that supplies the power to the reversing light rather than directly attach to the gearbox.

The obvious thing to do is to check the simple things first, bulb(s), fuse, cable before looking for something more involved.

• Like 2

As the OP says the car is an MMT that should make the car a late MK2 Yaris which as Heidfirst correctly stated only has one reverse light on the LHS the opposite side is a Fog see picture attached either that or the car is an early MK3 with mutlidrive and the OP doesn't know what car he has even with 50 years driving experience 

Untitled.png

• Like 1

Well said above, Frosty, Heidfirst & Devon Aygo.  Jees I hope it turns out it only has one reverse light right enough.

Fault Fixed.

Corroded connection. WD40 to the rescue.

• 3 years later...

I've got a 2009yaris and I like to no were the reverse light switch is located on mmt box please