Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre pressure warning indicator stays on

Trafficman

Help!

The tyre pressure warning light comes on our GEN 4 Prius.  It doesn't go out with the rest of the warning lights and stays firmly on.  According to the manual this light should flash when there is a problem, but it just stays on.  We have checked the tyres, and all seems ok.......  thoughts anyone?

Many thanks

Hi there, similar has happened on my 2014 Auris.  

What ive found is as follows: with ignition on, reset the TPM, press and hold till warning light flashes, in my vehicle its located in the glovebox.  Light should go out after reset.  Make sure cold pressures are above 31 psi. On a cold morning, pressures drop a little and it appears to activate warning below 30psi.  This method assumes there's no puncture. 

If this doesnt work, either there's a pressure loss in one of tyres, or a fault in the system.

Hope this helps

The tyre pressure warning light came on my new Excel.  When I turned the ignition on, it came on, stayed on and did not flash.   This happened 3 times at roughly 10 day intervals.  On checking I found it was the same tyre that each time had dropped from 2.4 bar to 2.0 bar.  It was a very slow puncture caused by a nail and the tyre was repaired FOC by my  Toyota dealer.  How many dealers with other car brands offer their customers free puncture repairs?

Unfortunately with the Gen. 4's TPW light, it does not tell you which tyre has lost pressure.   I have a BMW that shows on a screen in real time each wheel's actual tyre pressure as well as flashing a warning in the event of a pressure loss - but then it only has two wheels to check not four! 

Most Toyota dealers offer free puncture repairs.

Most tyre pressure monitoring systems fitted to comply with the EU legislation which applied to all new cars first registered after 1st November 2014, just notify when one of the tyres loses pressure, and don't identify which tyre is the culprit.

11 hours ago, MichaelM said:

I have a BMW that shows on a screen in real time each wheel's actual tyre pressure as well as flashing a warning in the event of a pressure loss - but then it only has two wheels to check not four! 

You driving yer Bimmer like this?

Bimmer.jpg

37 minutes ago, fordulike said:

You driving yer Bimmer like this?

Bimmer.jpg

How did you guess !!

Come to think of it anyone driving like that would probably be to busy to watch for a Tyre Pressure Warning Light !

This Tyre Pressure Monitoring Screen was in my Gen 3 Prius manual.  My car didn't have it though, and I think it was only fitted in some other countries.  Shame they didn't do this on the Gen 4...

http://www.biwel.com/pmb01/Gen_3_Prius_TPMS.jpg

1 hour ago, MichaelM said:

How did you guess !!

Come to think of it anyone driving like that would probably be to busy to watch for a Tyre Pressure Warning Light !

Joking aside, how come your BMW only monitors two wheels, not four. Is it a BMW motorbike that you're on about? I'm confused lol.

21 hours ago, Trafficman said:

Help!

The tyre pressure warning light comes on our GEN 4 Prius.  It doesn't go out with the rest of the warning lights and stays firmly on.  According to the manual this light should flash when there is a problem, but it just stays on.  We have checked the tyres, and all seems ok.......  thoughts anyone?

Many thanks

The TPMS was probably initialised with a higher than normal pressure set. The warning light comes on when the tyre pressure drops by either 10% or 20%, not sure which. So if the TPMS is initialised with the tyres over inflated by this amount then the warning light will come on as soon as the pressure drops below the normal pressure. I have initialised mine at 10% over inflated, then dropped the pressures to normal to get an earlier warning of pressure drop.

4 hours ago, fordulike said:

Joking aside, how come your BMW only monitors two wheels, not four. Is it a BMW motorbike that you're on about? I'm confused lol.

Yes it was a bit of humour and I was referring to my motorcycle.

4 hours ago, fordulike said:

Joking aside, how come your BMW only monitors two wheels, not four...

Mind you, round here a lot of beemer (car) drivers go round corners and roundabouts as if they want to be on two wheels  :ohmy:

Same here. Gen 4 Excel Prius with the tyre pressure warning light on all the time. Been once to dealers. They simply pumped up my tyres 2 weeks ago. Now the light is back on. I went to check tyre pressure at Sains yesterday and front 2 was ok at 32psi and back 2 was overinflated (by the dealer probably - I have 17" and they might have done the pressure for 15") and air was let out to 30psi. Lights still on. Not sure how I can reset it myself. Probably have to go back to dealer for them to check for slow puncture.

18 minutes ago, posing said:

Same here. Gen 4 Excel Prius with the tyre pressure warning light on all the time. Been once to dealers...

...Not sure how I can reset it myself...

P539 in the manual.

1. When the pressures are known to be correct, turn the Hybrid System on (READY mode).
  2. With the right hand buttons on the steering wheel, move left or right to gear cog symbol (rightmost option)
  3. press <Enter>
  4. Move down to "Vehicle Settings" and press <Enter>
  5. Move to the TPMS option and press <Enter>
  6. Press and hold <Enter> until the system resets

7 hours ago, cuius said:

This article may be relevant:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/97669/carmakers-accused-of-fitting-dangerous-tyre-pressure-monitors

When you read the requirement of monitoring a 20% deflation - that's 6+psi on a normal reading

The Prius manual states (p542): "When tire inflation pressure declines rapidly for example when a tire has burst, the warning may not function."  Mind you, I would hope one would know if a tyre had burst without relying on the warning!

There is also a list of 8 things that could stop TPMS working, such as non Toyota wheels or different tyres.

A bit worrying as when cars registered since about 2014 (when TPMS became obligatory) need an MOT, a lit warning light or non working TPMS will be a failure!

As an aside, the manual says this about 17" tyres (p541):

"Low profile tires (vehicles with 17-inch tires)

Generally, low profile tires will wear more rapidly and tire grip performance will be reduced on snowy and/or icy roads when compared to standard tires. Be sure to use snow tires or tire chains on snowy and/or icy roads and drive carefully at a speed appropriate for road and weather conditions."