Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Super Unleaded

cokg2

In a hurry today at the pump, i slipped in £32 worth of Esso Super Unleaded, instead of the standard stuff.

the tank was empty, and after a few miles down the road, the car felt like it had a little more poke. Would this have been the case, or am dreaming.

Apart from the obvious 7p extra per litre, what does the higher octane level actually do?

Cheers

PS: this is my 500 th post. To celebrate, i will be sending TOC a fat cheque tomorrow for gold membership. cheers!

it burns the fuel more efficiently I always use Shell optimax and I certanly notcice better fuel consumption when im giving it some stick for a few miles (compared to the rare occasions i use 95RON fuels).

Still probably not worth it but ive almost always used it so ill probably not change lol :thumbsup:

I've been running Shell Optimax for quite a while now and it does make a bit of difference!

I find that car is more responsive and it accelerates a bit smoother aswell.

Recently put normal stuff in my car due to the high fuel costs and the car just isnt quite the same :(

Up to you to determine if the price of it justifies the benifits ... but i know a few ppl who totally swear by it! :lol:

I use BP Ultimate 97 ron. For a few extra pennies in my car I think it’s worth it.

BTW, I’m on my first tank of fuel since having my car (filled up with BP Ultimate) and reset the trip computer and it’s showing a 40mpg average!

I’ll have a better idea on the next re-fuel so I can work it out manually.

isn't it bad to mix fuels? :blink:

its not really mixing fuels just you end up with 96RON at times :lol::lol::lol:

seriously wont harm the engine along as its all unleaded 95RON and above :thumbsup:

Yep .. thats right!

Its not as if you're mixing unleaded and diesel or something! :lol:

i thought the higher octane fuel will be harder to explode

you'll only notice the difference and use higher octane fuel if you have have modified the compression ratio or have turbo/supercharged engines to run higher boost levels.

however, the Shell optimax is different, the fuel is less denser and more volitile so it would explode quicker, so they say... <_<

that was what i've always thought but i have seen the difference between 95ron and optimax and must say there was some more poke from optimax, or was it just me and my dream.... 4_8_3.gif

Kenny!

Some dreams may well be true!

Well .. if its not .. then at least most of us dream the same dream! :lol:

:fishyface:

Yep .. thats right!

Its not as if you're mixing unleaded and diesel or something! :lol:

:eek: My mum did that once! :!Removed!:

The 98RON stuff burns at a slightly higher compression I think, therefore your engine can advance the ignition a little for a bit more bang... the important thing to note is that your engine can only really take advantage of it if it's got an 'intelligent' ecu, or you've advanced the ignition yerself

Yep .. thats right!

Its not as if you're mixing unleaded and diesel or something!  :lol:

:eek: My mum did that once! :!Removed!:

Actually .. i must admit .. my dad done it once before aswell! :blink:

LMFAO - yeah, my mums has petrol all here life, she gets one diesel and she automatically went for petrol :!Removed!:

The 98RON stuff burns at a slightly higher compression I think, therefore your engine can advance the ignition a little for a bit more bang... the important thing to note is that your engine can only really take advantage of it if it's got an 'intelligent' ecu, or you've advanced the ignition yerself

we have intelligent ECU's right?

isnt that what the "i" stands for in VVT-i ?

Cheers

Niz :thumbsup:

Personally I think it's effing disgraceful that we can't get 100ron petrol in this country considering it's taxed beyond disbelief...

anyway, super is better than unleaded, and optimax is better than super (supposedly) - and bp ultimate is not as good as optimax (supposedly)

I put BP Ultimate in mine before the Petrol Prices shot up recently and I noticed a bit more acceleration too..plus it seemed to run a bit smoother when ticking over. Does anyone know how much they have put BP Ultimate up too?

Not too sure .. but i know Shell Optimax was 86.9p/litre whist normal unleaded was at 81.9p the other day when i filled up. And i think Ultimate was more expensive than Optimax before ... not sure if it is now though.

Had to fill her up with normal stuff though as i didnt have enough money on me the other day :(

• 4 years later...

very old thread i know. but i was just curious if anyone who uses the forums these days uses any form of super unleaded petrol.

ive never filled at another station other than tescos. i get paid next week and was thinking of sticking some BP normal petrol or even superunleaded in it as i read it runs smoother.

i know its more than likely over kill for my wee 1.0 engine, but i read somewhere that it can benefit the engine, giving it a good cleaning or something along those lines.

theres so many different views on it, so i thought id ask here where eeveryone has similar cars to mine

I always use super in my Yaris. Not sure if it's any quicker, but I do get more miles out of a tank & better mpg, so I think the few extra pence per litre is worth it. I usually put in Shell Vpower, but Esso super is pretty good too. Didn't think much to the BP stuff.

sweet ill give it a blip next time im filling up. ill just use fuelly to calculate the difference n ill work out if its cheaper to run in the long run!

would you even recommend it in my 1.0 yaris. i suppose it cant do it any harm!

Defo, you'll notice better starting, smoother engine note, more top end response and much better pickup at low revs.

Ian

Shells Vpower for mine. It loves it. Runs a lot sharper.

BP ultimate, Totals Excellium, are still good substitutes. I must admit I've not tried Tesco's super unleaded or Esso's. Where Possible, Vpower gets my money.