Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2007 avensis trc off, VSC and abs lights

Nasifkhan

Hi

2007 avensis, manual, 2.0 d4d diesel with 185k miles

I've had the trc off, vsc, abs light appear on the dash. I've plugged in a code reader but no fault appears.

Initially the TRC and VSC lights came on but after restarting the engine, they would dissappear.

Took it on the motorway on a 300 mile round trip and the 3 lights came on and now do not go off.

Any ideas what it can be?

Thanks in advance

Which code reader are you using? Many do not pick up the non standard engine codes for Toyota, and ev more will not pick up ABS, trans and other non engine related codes.

It's just a basic code reader.

I had a VW and used VCDS which was effectively dealer level diagnostic equipment.

Is there anything similar to this for Toyota?

Can you recommend one?

I'm sorry I can't, but maybe someone here can help. I'm using a Delphi copy myself and it will pull just about any code for mine.

There are two causes of the TRC/ABS/VSC warnings to illuminate, the EGR is blocked full of carbon on diesels or a brake light has failed for all engine types. The brake lights are simple to check, and the EGR and piping needs to be cleaned.

For diagnostics, I use Launch Creader VIII which is expensive but covers most cars on the road. It can read ABS, VSC, steering. etc. For other diagnostics you need to try places like http://www.diagnostic-world.com/pages/toyota_code_readers_189125.cfm where they have different devices. Toyota tech stream is good but mainly for Toyota mechanics and officially you have to treat it like pay as you use. It would be good if you had less restrictions or had a reliable source for the software.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Nasifkhan said:

Checked the brake lights. All 3 were out. Changed the bulbs and now TRC/ABS/VSC has disappeared.

Thanks for the help

Glad it was the brake lights. My friend Waqar had the same problem, which we replaced the bulb and used my diagnostic scanner to remove the codes - 

I think you can find and clear the code by using the jumper wire method between pins 4 and 13 on the OBD socket, ignition on. This method causes the relevant lights to flash morse code style. To clear them press and release the brake pedal quickly,  5 or more times. There will be a beep and the flashing will be constant. It best to clear the codes in case a future problem arises. Normally anyone checking OBD codes deletes them anyway, and if the fault is still there, the code will return. 

Edited by Konrad C
spelling correction
  • Like 1

Can I add that sometimes pins 4 and 12 can be used.

This video in Russian explains this:

I cannot confirm but 4 seems to be the common pin, whilst 12 come from the ECU or relevant ECU. Normally 4 and 13 are used, but with more features being added, I guess that 12 was needed. I will do a little digging. So far it looks they are vendor option.

I remembered when seeing the video and answering a similar question. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links