Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mirror indicator LED problem

Petlew

My 56 plate Avensis T Spirit has an intermittent fault in the drivers side mirror mounted indicator repeater.

Sometimes the indicator (LED cluster) works sometimes it doesn't, tapping the mirror housing will usually make the make the LED's work, which to me implies a loose connection in the mirror housing. Everything else in the mirror works normally; mirror adjust, mirror fold.

How can I gain access inside the mirror housing to check the LED connections?

Or is there another known fault.

• 1 year later...

Hi Petlew. I have the same situation on my avensis. Did you found the problem?

Yes it was resolved, the LED unit is available from Toyota - for what it is, it is from memory quite expensive, I think around £60, but Toyota parts are in general ridiculously expensive -. It was thought in the first place that the actual LED light unit was not replaceable and would require the the complete mirror to be renewed. In fact, my local garage changed the LED quite easily in less than twenty seconds, for no charge (I could easily have done it myself), it "only" cost the price of the part. Needless to say, a Toyota main dealer quoted a price that would need a second mortgage. 

The most difficult part was getting the mirror cover off without breaking any of the tabs that hold it on. I think the previous owner may have tried this as one tab was missing altogether, and I managed to break off another, so the cover is a couple of tabs short, but it holding on ok, indeed its weekly high pressure car cash has not dislodged it.

On inspection after the new LED unit was fitted, the old one proved to have a hole in it, probably letting in water. It is not known what caused the hole, but probably accident damage whilst with the previous owner. It should be remembered that if the indicator fails during MoT it will fail the test. It happens that my indicator operation was very intermittent, but worked correctly during its MoT so wasn't noticed by the tester.

In this web sites parts for sale, there are the indicator covers available, but they only seem to be available in black, mine are blue, so both sides would have been needed, not a serious problem, but I prefer the blue ones.

PS. before I forget, I did attempt to buy a cheaper LED unit (I won't say where from) it claimed to be a fit, but it very definitely was not. I did get my money back.

Buy the Toyota original, even if it is more expensive.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. So the wrong part was LED unit? In my case it happens to my both mirrors. But moustly to passenger side.

Mine was drivers side only. If both sides are effected I would think about the fault being something else rather than the LED units. The faulty drivers side on mine did not effect the passenger side. When the fault occurred on mine, I could tap the indicator unit quite hard and it would sometimes return to normal, until the next time... looking like a loose connection, but wasn't, that was the first thing checked for.

What's happening in hazard mode, are both sides failing together?. If so its unlikely to be both LED's faulty at the same time. But check for holes in the units, may look slightly cloudy around any holes if water has got in.

Quick check, flip the mirror covers off carefully and check the wiring plugs are fixed and clean. they're easier to disconnect than they look.

I will try to tacke cover off and check connection first.

Check out Dulik's post above for a detail how to remove the covers.