Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4.3 2.2 D4D Exhaust centre box

Gods_gift

Hello All

Long time since I have been on here, our Rav4 has now hit 188k miles and the centre box has just gone on the exhaust. It's rusted around the rear seam of the box and is blowing a bit.

Does anyone know if someone makes an after market centre box to replace the original? I remember the list price from Toyota was potty money so just wondered if the likes of Bosal have an offering to keep us motoring.

Cheers

Simon

Find a proper garage that hat has a mechanic with an oxy-accetelene welder... a strip of mild steel welded over the rust will fix it for a good few years if the rest of the box is in good order.  In years gone by I have made up custom exhaust systems (mainly for sports cars) and repaired dozens of.systems.  Most garages are just too lazy or lack the skills to fix anything these days!  It's much easier for them to throw a new part on... regardless of cost.

Who ever told you it can't be welded because the box metal is to thin... is just exscusing a lack of skills LOL   On really really thin metal you always have the option of brazing.  I have no knowledge of those other options you listed...  but if ithey are cheaper than Mr. Toyota...

I have just had a 100,000 mile service and was told that my box had a small leak and may not pass the MOT, coming up next month. I ask for a quote for this item and was told as it contained the CAT the price for a new one would be about £1400 (gulp) and that there might be more if the box doesn't come easily. As has been suggested I took it to a garage and had the seam welded in the same place as yours at a cost of £45.

Hi, welding or brazing is your best bet I have done both but if you just want to get it through the MOT you can use exhaust putty availably from most car shops. You literally just clean around the leak and smear the putty in the hole. It won't stay on forever, I suggest you do it as close a date to the MOT test as you can as it is MOT accepted, I used to do MOT's and as long as it's not blowing for the test then you should be ok.....a tin of putty is about a fiver. Mike.

Thanks for the advice guys. One thing someone told me recently is that a catalytic converter is not a UK legal requirement for a diesels. So de-cating my Rav might be an option, but not sure if this is true!

Anyhow once Christmas is out the way I'll be going for one of those Eurocarparts middle boxes and see how that works out.

Hi, I have nothing to back this up but I think a 'tampered with exhaust' is not always legal and you may get engine management lights come on so I think you perhaps think along the lines of having a cat exhaust as expensive as they are. An example is when I was doing MOT's if the car had a 'boy racer' exhaust and I considered it too noisy i'd fail the car, of course the owner of the car could refit a standard system on the car just to get it through the MOT and then put his noisy boy racer back on as legally a MOT certificate is only valid for when the car was tested. Yes the spare original parts from Toyota can be silly expensive money, I have found tyres and batteries very competitive though. Mike.

your car has to pass an emissions test as part of the MOT - I would be surprised if it could do so without a Cat.

I'm told you can get away with it on older diesels as the stuff they test for (CO, CO2) is something diesels produce far less than compared to petrols. There've been a few people on here who've claimed to have done this.

I think the limits are tighter on cars with newer EURO ratings so I'm not so sure on newer cars, and I have no idea about the legalities of it all!

It's illegal to run a car originally fitted with a Cat on the road without a Cat - part of the MOT is meant to be a check.

• 1 month later...

I also had a big hole in my exhaust centre box. I went to Walsall near Birmingham to a well known garage who does stainless steel exhausts with lifetime warranty for any cars. I went for cat back exhaust semi sport version which is welded on to the original exhaust pipe just behind the CAT. Apparently the part of exhaust coming from the engine does not need replacing as the temperatures there are too high and it doesn't get corroded as the back end. It Cost me £280 including labour plus £30 on fuel to get there and they let me  to choose a tail pipe tip from their collection. I am a happy driver again. (Well my rav4 started loosing power recently so not too happy, but this issue is not related to the new exhaust ). I am not sure if I can post details of the garage in here but let me know and I can send a message to those who need it. 

I have used the place mentioned in Walsall twice over a few cars.

Just travelled to them 3 weeks ago and had them fit a dual rear exhaust on my 4.3 Rav, excellent job and half the price of the places around me in Berkshire.

They can do anything in regards to exhausts.

I have attached their link below..

http://www.mijexhaust.com/