Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2004 Rav4 - Changing Stereo to 3rd party

Mattatooi

Hi I currently have a 2004 Rav 4 2.0 XT3 5DR.

I am wanting to replace the Toyota stereo with a touchscreen stereo that I can connect my android phone with and control it etc, and do all the usual bluetooth and have a USB section. 

Is replacing the stereo a fiddly enough process, just looking at some videos online and there appears to be alot of plugs going into the back of the Toyota unit. I am also unsure what I need to be getting. I have the stock speaker system. Does anyone have any recommondations of what to get? I would like to be able to still use the mode, volume and up/down buttons on my steering wheel aswell.

I also noticed below my ashtray there is a panel with 4 sections that looks like it could be removed, where I could fit a nice usb socket thing there. Is there such a thing to get that I can hook into stereo? Is this all fiddly. Is it worth paying extra and get someone else to do it?

Cheers

Hi yes this has been a big problem with me even my local radio install /sales people had problems I gave up with them. So keep me posted 

Alternative approach which I took was to fit a Yatour USB/SD Card/ phone jack unit to the standard stereo.  It integrates well, emulating a CD changer, allowing you have 6 folders (each one representing a CD) with 99 files in each.  Select folders as you would a CD (buttons 1 & 2 on my stereo).  I also needed a Yatour Y-branch adapter harness, as there is something already plugged into the CD changer socket, which you still need.

I bought this  and this.  I don't recommend buying from Chinese eBay sellers - they send the wrong things sometimes and you never get a refund.  Pay a little more to get the power of  Amazon behind you.

There's a YouTube video showing how to get the unit out, and it took about 15 minutes (including bolt recovery time - one fell down behind the dash and I had to remove trim to recover it).  Works superbly - quality of sound is superb.

So I picked up the Pioneer AVH-X8700BT - as I got a very good deal on it. Can anyone advise what other parts I will need to install it?

I think I need some sort of ISO cable adapater?

What about the console plate etc. I noticed my RAV4 surround has slightly rounded corners. Hopefully this will not be a problem? Or do I need to get a new surround part for the RAV4 ? (see image below)

Do I need something so the controls on my steering wheel will work with it?

I am also wanting to place the sockets in the blank spaces below the ashtray. Is there anything you can get that will fit these as a plate with usb socket in it? (see image below, there are 3 "blank" with 1 being used, which I have no idea what it is or its purpose as it is not a button)

If you know where to get these etc, let me know thanks.

I spoke to a local installer here and he can fit. Just want to see how much it would acutally cost for me to get the parts then I could try and do it myself.

Thanks in advance.

2004rav4stereo.jpg

2004rav4blankplates.jpg

On 14/11/2016 at 9:24 PM, Mattatooi said:

So I picked up the Pioneer AVH-X8700BT - as I got a very good deal on it. Can anyone advise what other parts I will need to install it?

I think I need some sort of ISO cable adapater?

What about the console plate etc. I noticed my RAV4 surround has slightly rounded corners. Hopefully this will not be a problem? Or do I need to get a new surround part for the RAV4 ? (see image below)

Do I need something so the controls on my steering wheel will work with it?

I am also wanting to place the sockets in the blank spaces below the ashtray. Is there anything you can get that will fit these as a plate with usb socket in it? (see image below, there are 3 "blank" with 1 being used, which I have no idea what it is or its purpose as it is not a button)

If you know where to get these etc, let me know thanks.

I spoke to a local installer here and he can fit. Just want to see how much it would acutally cost for me to get the parts then I could try and do it myself.

Thanks in advance.

2004rav4stereo.jpg

2004rav4blankplates.jpg

You need to google 'connects2' you'll get everything you need from there. need to watch the unit to steering wheel connector make sure you order the correct one , i managed to get the wrong one, but i didn't use the steering controls anyway. changing the stereo peice of cake, prise the silver surround off and its 4 bolts to undo and it slides out.

I've still got the parts in my shed as i've got rid of the rav.  once you fit the new radio in you need the fillers that go either side

But you can get it all from connects2

Tony

I found that, after prising the silver parts off, you need to undo four screws and prise the black surround off before you can reach the four bolts.

Ok so pretty sure I got all the right stuff, however where does the Parking Brake wire go?? I have quite a bit of length on it with the Pioneer unit cable. Is there somewhere I can plug it into?? I cannot get android auto to work untill I have got this sorted. There are a couple of white Toyota plugs that are not used after I got all the adapter bits etc which were plugged into the stock unit. 

Got it working, found a thread on here somewhere, where someone posted what each pin on the rav4 connectors are and put this into the correct one for Ground, and it now works

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links