Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whine from the front of the car

waqar_lionheart

Hi All,

Sorry to bother. I have a gen2 prius 2007 1.5 vvti. Few days ago it was where cold here in surrey. I parked the car at 8.30 in the morning and picked it up at 2.00pm. I noticed immediately that there is a constant whine coming from the front of the car. Its not a buzz not vibrating nothing like that just a plane old whine. Its only there while the car is in parking and i think it disappeared once the car had warmed up. It sounded like a whine that comes from really high voltage cables or transformers. I am wondering is it the cold or could something else be at play. the car has covered 100009 miles. I am hoping for no bad news please but tell it like it is.

Many Thanks,

Waqar

Hi Waqar, I did a check and the first thing that comes to mind is the cooling inverter. It is mounted low down behind the left-hand headlight. Follow the hose running across the front. Have a listen in that area. The coolant is premixed red and part of the general cooling system. You do check the levels.

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2006/prius/nhw20r-aheebw/2_222220_003_358W/electrical/8432_inverter-cooling

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2006/prius/nhw20r-aheebw/2_222220_003_358W/tool-engine-fuel/1603_radiator-water-outlet/1

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2006/prius/nhw20r-aheebw/2_222220_003_358W/tool-engine-fuel/1603_radiator-water-outlet/2

If it stops working, you get warning lights on the instruments, and a diagnostic scan will give a clue to the fault.

I would say, not to worry unless the inverter motor is really loud.

There are video on how to change it.

There are more videos, but the above give you an idea. 

Konrad

Yup I concur. Sure enough it sounds like it. I popped the hood this morning when it was on electric. Whine is coming from left side of the inverter unit but the noise that I feel and hear inside seems to be coming from the abyss that is behind the front passenger headlight. It leads me to think that the inverter coolant pump is on its way out. I am assuming this is a service item right? as my car has done 100000. I know coz i took a picture of it the other day :). sorry I am a bit sad like that. I know the videos are there on youtube and I have seen some already but has anyone here done anything like this and are there any pitfalls that I can avoid?

Many Thanks chaps. Thanks Konrad always very helpful.

Regards,

Waqar

BTW. What could the whine from left of the inverter be? is it normal?

The inverter cooler pump is lowdown, probably at bumper level below the head light. I bought triple extra long nose pliers for difficult to reach jobs, and the inverter pump is only secured by a few bolts. Access is tight.

What you need Waqar, are answers from Prius owners who have experienced this. I don't have this experience to know if the motor noise is normal, or a warning it's bearings may be worn.

Waqar you may need to price up a pump and coolant. The fixing bit does not look too difficult (for me).   

When checking the pump is working, look in the reservoir with the cap removed and observe the fluid movement. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-INVERTER-WATER-PUMP-04000-32528-FOR-TOYOTA-PRIUS-HYBRID-2004-2009-/182168030911?hash=item2a6a0f8ebf:g:1pUAAOSwxKtX~vvK

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Waqar yesterday evening, and I think the cooling inverter is working more now due to the colder weather. This needs confirming. Everything seems fine, and the pump noise is not loud. Without a reference, it is difficult to judge if the pump is noisy or not. A general service has been planned.  

• Like 1

Lots of inverter pumps were replaced as part of a recall. I am not sure if the 2007 model was included in the recall but it would be worth checking that there isn't any outstanding recall work due on the car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links