Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2012 Prius oil change

lipso

I have a 2012 Prius with 40000 miles. Today I did my first oil change since I got the car last May. the oil was emptying out of the sump (the oil filter had not been removed) and  was almost finished when the engine started! I had forgotten to press the power button to 'fully off'. In panic I got the engine turned off after 3-4 seconds. Am worried that damage has been done?

If it was only a handful of seconds, doubt whether any major damage has been done.

Does your profile need changing from the Corolla?

• Like 1

Thanks,hope all is ok with it. The filter I bought has the usual rubber ring seal but also had a small rubber ring seal and a plastic 'tool' included as below. What's the small ring and plastic thing for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-PRIUS-1-8-BLUE-PRINT-Oil-Filter-09-00-5789-/301613258050?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota|Model%3APrius&hash=item46398d1542:g:xisAAOSwymxVQK45

2 hours ago, lipso said:

Am worried that damage has been done?

Whats done is done unfortunately.

Probably knocked some mileage off the engine, and increased oil consumption for the remainder of the engines life - I'll do your weekly oil level checks like a hawk from now on to make sure it doesn't consume too much and run dry of oil.

12 hours ago, lipso said:

Thanks,hope all is ok with it. The filter I bought has the usual rubber ring seal but also had a small rubber ring seal and a plastic 'tool' included as below. What's the small ring and plastic thing for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-PRIUS-1-8-BLUE-PRINT-Oil-Filter-09-00-5789-/301613258050?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota|Model%3APrius&hash=item46398d1542:g:xisAAOSwymxVQK45

The extra parts are for a slightly different design of fitting, so you will not need those parts. I have an 2009 Avensis with a similar engine - 2ZR-FAE, and it uses the same oil and oil filter part. 

P1190123.jpg

P1190124.jpg

P1190134.jpg

P1190128.jpg

Your engine should be fine as the engine is never completely dry of oil.

A colleague was driving his newly-serviced car down the motorway, when he noticed a big oil trail in his rear view mirror and his oil pressure warning light came on. The sump plug had not been tightened up and had come off.  He stopped as soon as he could. The servicing garage recovered the car, apologised, and fitted a new sump plug and some more oil.

That car was at about 70K miles at the time, and if I remember correctly, went on to 160K before being sold, the engine didn't give any problems at all, not even the turbo. And that was a (Peugeot) turbo diesel, so higher stress loadings everywhere, and it was being driven at the time.

Your Toyota petrol engine should be unharmed by what you've done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerg said:

... Your Toyota petrol engine should be unharmed by what you've done.

I'm inclined to agree on this one.  As it was only a few seconds, I doubt it was any worse for the engine that a normal cold start after having stood outside all night.

On my iQ the plastic thing is a drain tool for the bottom of the oil filter housing. 

What you do is undo a smaller plug using a 3/8" drive ratchet from the centre of the filter housing base first, and a small amount of oil leaks out. You will then wonder why you did that and probably do it back up but if you don't, take the plastic thing and stick it in the hole. This pushes up a spring loaded ball and allows the oil in the filter to drain nice and neatly into your drip tray. Once that has stopped dripping remove the plastic tool and remove the main filter housing base revealing the oil filter.

Draining using the plastic tool prevents all the oil running down your arm as you remove the filter housing. The smaller O-ring goes under the small plug that you removed first to reveal the hole where the plastic tool goes. :cool:

Craig.

Filter.jpg

• Like 1

4 seconds at 1500rpm ( high for a tick over) means that your engine turned over 100 times under no load. I would say that it is most unlikely to have caused a problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links