Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Prius... it's not a helicopter ... or is it.

HRPOWER

So - after The Grand Tour audience laughed haughtily at the Prius I decided to shoot a second film about WHY I LIKE IT!

Hope you agree, like it, smile, laugh, sniff or any other exclamations.

• Like 7

I have seen your review on YouTube previously, great content and great filming too :smile:

• Like 1

Y'know, with the light interior those annoying white plastic bits just fade away, unlike standing out and in yer face with the black interior.

When I am ready to move up, I'll be definitely looking for one with the lighter interior.
I like it - a lot!!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Chippy01 said:

Y'know, with the light interior those annoying white plastic bits just fade away, unlike standing out and in yer face with the black interior.

When I am ready to move up, I'll be definitely looking for one with the lighter interior.
I like it - a lot!!

Good Man!   Mine's like that - I hate dark interiors, whilst I really don't care what the outside or the wheels look like.  I only choose white paint because it's easier on the A/C.

I do like my "cool grey" (seems more like cream to me!") interior, but wish I could still get rich colours like blue or rust that I had in some Vauxhalls in the 80s & 90s.

14 hours ago, PeteB said:

I do like my "cool grey" (seems more like cream to me!") interior, but wish I could still get rich colours like blue or rust that I had in some Vauxhalls in the 80s & 90s.

Although to be fair, until I got this Prius, no one had ever complimented the interior of any of my cars since my 1984 Vauxhall Nova GL (Corsa in the rest of EU) which had a lovely 6-dial dash, and a deep rust coloured ribbed velour interior, including all the door and rear panel trims.  Even the dash matched.  It still looked pristine too, 14 years and 93,000 miles later when my ex sold it (it was mine for the first 3 years).

[and BTW it had more interior storage than my 2016 Prius! - and a lockable glovebox]

img001 07 Jul 85 Car - Nova.jpg

Ah, that brings back memories as I used to work at a Vauxhall dealership many years ago. They loved colour coding their interiors. I used to love the all green interiors of the Monza/Royale coupe 👌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

Although to be fair, until I got this Prius, no one had ever complimented the interior of any of my cars since my 1984 Vauxhall Nova GL (Corsa in the rest of EU) which had a lovely 6-dial dash, and a deep rust coloured ribbed velour interior, including all the door and rear panel trims.  Even the dash matched.  It still looked pristine too, 14 years and 93,000 miles later when my ex sold it (it was mine for the first 3 years).

[and BTW it had more interior storage than my 2016 Prius! - and a lockable glovebox]

img001 07 Jul 85 Car - Nova.jpg

The Nova dash is very similar to my old Astra 1.6 1984/5. It was last of the Mk1 and had 5 speed gearbox. Had to scrap it do to chassis fracture! I notice you had a fire extinguisher under the steering column.

What a great review. Speed does not matter anymore. I have said this before, but with lots of speed cameras, 20 mph limits, average speed cameras and speed bumps, it is less priority. Also hybrids and EVs are being taken up by more manufacturers. Diesels might have better economy and great torque, but they are getting too complex and hard to meet the emission standards. Think VW gate. I have read that some owners were disappointed when their cars have been fixed - torque and acceleration is a lot lower. I could be looking at an Auris Touring Sport Hyrbrid in a few years time.

The Great Tour is for petrol heads and anything that goes fast.    

Edited by Konrad C
additional words
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Konrad C said:

The Nova dash is very similar to my old Astra 1.6 1984/5. It was last of the Mk1 and had 5 speed gearbox...

and very similar to that era Cavalier too.  I drove all three, and thought they were all great drives for their day.  My 1.2 (carburated) Nova had a 5-speed box too (£130 optional extra) and was very tall and relaxed - 4,000 rpm at 100 mph indicated (about 96 in reality!) (on deserted motorways!).

5 hours ago, Konrad C said:

...I notice you had a fire extinguisher under the steering column...

A 1 kg Chubb Halon job - I still have it over 30 years later - can't get Halon now (greenhouse gas).  Because operating it breaks a metal tube, it doesn't go off with age.  It wedged nicely on the shelf under the dash, and was held quite securely.

I only had my first one a few weeks when I came across a Mk 2 Cavalier (first front wheel drive model) in the middle of a major single carriage road, having stalled exiting a minor side road.  The driver (admitted afterwards) did everything that he shouldn't have:

• pumped the accelerator repeatedly (which caused the accelerator pump to push lots of extra fuel into the carburetor) whilst cranking the starter
  • when paint started blistering on his bonnet, he pulled the release lever and opened the bonnet fully (causing a rush of oxygen which helped the fire along nicely)
  • he then propped the bonnet open with the stay, making sure the oxygen supply was not impeded (you can't make this stuff up!)
  • since the fire was now getting quite serious, he grabbed some foam cushions off the back seat and tried to smother the fire - with predictable results

At this point I drove past and parked a few hundred yards down the road.  Having been itching to try out my new extinguisher (preferably not on my own car!) I ran back with it and called for the bystanders to stand clear.  The heat was quite intense and I believe it was about to spread rapidly to the rest of the car.  A 2 second burst from about 10 feet away (IIRC) and the fire was history.  Everyone gasped in amazement, including me.  Someone else said he'd already tried his little aerosol type extinguisher and it didn't even touch the fire.

As the seal was broken it was necessary to discharge the rest of the contents, and I estimated about 12 more seconds when I emptied it in the bin area when I got to the office.  Most impressed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harters said:

Ah, that brings back memories as I used to work at a Vauxhall dealership many years ago. They loved colour coding their interiors. I used to love the all green interiors of the Monza/Royale coupe 👌

Yes - I chose the interior colour first, then looked to see what paint colours I could have with it.  Some makes still offered a choice of interior colours.

Ha Love this thread. That pic is amazing.

Thanks alot Harters mate. Beginner. Just did a re edit as I was dissapointed with the first version of the review and its views, thought a shorter one would rank better and so be more viewed. Not so far. But retention time is much higher, so that is something :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HRPOWER said:

...Beginner. Just did a re edit as I was dissapointed with the first version ...

well, I'm surprised.  My first thought was you did this professionally and it was for a magazine or something.  

I Loved the turbine sound effect - remember the sound effects for the Knight Rider Pontiac (1970s) and Oldsmobile-based Batmobile (1960s), if anyone's old enough!

Brilliant.  Reminds me of the one featuring a gen2 getting some air.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links