Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Accident! Shall I claim?

Wayne2015

IMG_20161207_130504_zpsg4pv0knc.jpg

Stopped at lights

Then after a few minutes hit from behind :ohmy:

No obvious damage

But not sure underneath

Shall I claim?

Trouble loading more pics....

How hard was the jolt?

I would get it looked at to see if there is any damage done under the surface. The bumpers are a poor fit to start with.

Check your boot floor, the area inside the boot just inside of the tailgate opening and also check your spare tyre. Quite easy for the boot floor to get creased as it is part of the rear crumple zone, and depending how hard the impact was, could have blown the seal on the spare tyre.

Trouble loading more pics....

Cheers guys

Car was moved by a foot

But certainly a solid bump more than a touch

No damage on outside 

IMG_20161207_130605_zpsz9drv6xc.jpg

So rung dealer, they have no body shop so cannot inspect .for me :sad:

I would get it looked at.

Hopefully it will be a simple inspection and re-paint / buff of the bumper but under the bumpers of most cars is a polystyrene pad made to absorb impact. Not certain the Auris has them, my iQ certainly does though and if these get compressed they don't spring back so compromise the absorbing abilities should you need them again in the future. 

If you have the other parties insurance details contact them and see what they suggest. I was bumped into a year ago by someone and as it was clearly their fault, their insurance company bent over backwards to help me.

Craig.

The rear of cars are generally MUCH stronger than the fronts so if the other car hasn't got much damage to the front you're probably okay.

Still, it's their fault so I'd get it inspected and repaired/touched up anyway since you're not paying for it!

Actually guys, tangential question: In the even of an accident that isn't your fault, who do you normally speak to? I've only ever spoken to my insurance company, but I've had mates who say it's better to deal with the person who hit you's insurance company and only notify their own (Apparently this is so they avoid having to pay any excess?? Is that a thing???)

And then there's other weird things, like e.g. my club toyota (or whatever the heck it's called now) membership has an accident management helpline which apparently I can call in the even of an accident and they deal with it and liaise with involved parties? What's the difference? Any advantages disadvantages??

The rear of cars are generally MUCH stronger than the fronts so if the other car hasn't got much damage to the front you're probably okay.

Still, it's their fault so I'd get it inspected and repaired/touched up anyway since you're not paying for it!

Actually guys, tangential question: In the even of an accident that isn't your fault, who do you normally speak to? I've only ever spoken to my insurance company, but I've had mates who say it's better to deal with the person who hit you's insurance company and only notify their own (Apparently this is so they avoid having to pay any excess?? Is that a thing???)

And then there's other weird things, like e.g. my club toyota (or whatever the heck it's called now) membership has an accident management helpline which apparently I can call in the even of an accident and they deal with it and liaise with involved parties? What's the difference? Any advantages disadvantages??

Do they still do that, I couldn't find any information on my recent stuff from the Toyota club.

They used to give you a curtesy car regardless of your insurance company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since Toyota revamped Club Toyota and split it into component parts (Roadside Assistance, My Rewards, etc) accident management was dropped.

No bad thing really, as the accident management companies, in the event of a claim, used to put one into an equivalent vehicle to one's own (more often than not a hire car) - rather than just keep one mobile with a class 1 supermini or the like. This used to add to the insurer's costs, and sometimes, if the insurer who was paying for the claim, refused to pay for the hire car, the onus fell on the recipient (ie you) to pay.

Theoretically one's insurer should be informed of any accident, whether or not one makes a claim.

One other thing to bear in mind that if one makes a claim, regardless of fault, one's premium may increase at renewal. People may have protected NCD or guaranteed NCD (which is what we have), but all this does is to protect the percentage NCD one has built up - it doesn't prevent one's insurance premium increasing should one make a claim.

For example I currently have 79.5% Guaranteed No Claims Discount - regardless of the number of claims I make, the NCD will not fall below 79.5%. However, if I made a claim, this guaranteed NCD only protects the percentage of no claims discount I receive, and my renewal premium may increase.

The potential problem with not reporting an incident to your own insurer is that if they hear about it indirectly (bear in mind the interconnected databases in use) they may be upset. Also, if the other party, or insurers, decide you were actually at fault in some way and try to counter-claim (and no matter how obvious the blame is we've all heard of this happening) then again your insurers could say you haven't complied ... blah, blah.

Do you feel lucky, punk? :smile:

Cheers guys

I agree with all

The ONLY reasons I not want to claim is :

1. As Frosty said renewal might go up (ncd is protected) but most companies will increase total premium being that u are more likely to be in an accident now

2. As mike said If other party counterclaims 

3. If repair is less than the excess or if no fault then less than renewal hike

I will check boot well today and decide...

I already had withiin 5years:

1. 1 Monday or

2. 1 fault due to theft :(

Cyker!

Be very careful of accident management schemes! READ ALL SMALL PRINTS!

I claim once via the DEALER (not Toyota) accident management team - 

1. Yes they good and quick

2. Yes they gave me A very nice courtesy car

3. Yes it was repaired at dealers

4. But everything was in my name if I lost the claim, then I would have to foot the bill (as it did not go thru my insurer, but their own legal team)

5. In the end it drag on for a year and I had to give all sorts of personal/financial evidence - eeek!

Before...

IMG_20161207_130605_zpsz9drv6xc.jpg

After cleaning up...

IMG_20161208_094823_zpsodbtg2j4.jpg

IMG_20161208_094835_zpsl96ketqp.jpg

IMG_20161208_094848_zpsi6sjgxrb.jpg

Underneath behind the bumper..

IMG_20161208_094802_zpschsrk470.jpg

Inside boot...

IMG_20161208_094855_zpsuhtsljhs.jpg

IMG_20161208_094904_zpstkqibs98.jpg

Boot well directly next to bumper

IMG_20161208_094920_zpshciz4yul.jpg

On 07/12/2016 at 5:13 PM, Cyker said:

Got this text today...

If i remember right, most dealer offer it for free and so do breakdown companies...

Screenshot_2016-12-08-15-16-29_zpsz5lnmi

I was just curious what people generally did; The third-party accident companies always seemed suspect as heck to me!

Also, just to clarify, you can *report* an accident to your insurer *without claiming*. You have to be very explicit this is what you want to do when you speak to them tho otherwise they'll run it through as a claim by default.

This is what my mate does whenever he's had an accident that wasn't his fault; That's why I was curious what you guys do in the event - He'll report the accident to his, but usually tries to deal directly with the other party's insurance. Apparently this is so he doesn't have to worry about paying the excess (I know from experience if you deal with yours you have to pay the excess and then they try and claim it back from the other's which takes aaages), and also so he has some leverage on the repair - i.e. if he isn't happy he tells them he'll go back to his and they'll end up having to pay even more!

I've never tried it personally so I was curious what you lot do. (I don't even understand how you'd contact the other person's insurer; Surely they don't just believe you with no other evidence??)

Back in 2005, I had a 2003 Mazda 323 1.6 - someone ran into the back of it just before we were due to go on holiday. We went away in our other car (a 2003 Mazda Premacy), and when we returned we'd had a letter from the third party's insurer (Direct Line), admitting liability, and giving three options for repair of our car; 1) using their approved repairer, 2) having a sum of money to arrange and pay for the repairs ourselves, or, 3) having the car repaired at a repairer of our choice. We chose option 3), and Direct Line arranged a hire car (Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia) for the duration of the repairs.

No accident management company involved. Really easy.

32 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Back in 2005, I had a 2003 Mazda 323 1.6 - someone ran into the back of it just before we were due to go on holiday. We went away in our other car (a 2003 Mazda Premacy), and when we returned we'd had a letter from the third party's insurer (Direct Line), admitting liability, and giving three options for repair of our car; 1) using their approved repairer, 2) having a sum of money to arrange and pay for the repairs ourselves, or, 3) having the car repaired at a repairer of our choice. We chose option 3), and Direct Line arranged a hire car (Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia) for the duration of the repairs.

No accident management company involved. Really easy.

U had it easy then! :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I was just curious what people generally did; The third-party accident companies always seemed suspect as heck to me!

Also, just to clarify, you can *report* an accident to your insurer *without claiming*. You have to be very explicit this is what you want to do when you speak to them tho otherwise they'll run it through as a claim by default.

This is what my mate does whenever he's had an accident that wasn't his fault; That's why I was curious what you guys do in the event - He'll report the accident to his, but usually tries to deal directly with the other party's insurance. Apparently this is so he doesn't have to worry about paying the excess (I know from experience if you deal with yours you have to pay the excess and then they try and claim it back from the other's which takes aaages), and also so he has some leverage on the repair - i.e. if he isn't happy he tells them he'll go back to his and they'll end up having to pay even more!

I've never tried it personally so I was curious what you lot do. (I don't even understand how you'd contact the other person's insurer; Surely they don't just believe you with no other evidence??)

i think every individual case differs

I had it easy at times with a claim as long as I accept everything so got:

1. Car in garage next day

2. Courtesy car

3. Insurer deal with everything

4. Other party admit liability

5. Other insurer not contested

Worse I had was:

1. Other party admitted liability at scene

2. I used dealer accident service

3. Given big courtesy car

4. Car repaired at dealership

5. Other party changed mind and denied liability

6. Other insurer disputed amount

7. Ended up in court after a year of dispute

8. Personally liable for all costs if lost

9. Divulged all personal details and finances

10. A week before court appearance, other party accept liability / costs

11. Dealer repair poor

12. Renewal had to disclose non-fault accident, and premium shot up :ohmy:

Ref reporting an accident and not a claim.i once made an enquiry ref house damage (I know not car insurer) but I was very clear and said "I just wanted to know I have a leaky roof, it's not a claim, but what would the process be if I claim as I may get it repaired my self?"

On renewal my premium went up and they claimed that an enquiry on a claim was deemed a claim?!!!?:angry:

2 hours ago, Wayne2015 said:

Ref reporting an accident and not a claim.i once made an enquiry ref house damage (I know not car insurer) but I was very clear and said "I just wanted to know I have a leaky roof, it's not a claim, but what would the process be if I claim as I may get it repaired my self?"

On renewal my premium went up and they claimed that an enquiry on a claim was deemed a claim?!!!?:angry:

That's actually to be expected. Telling them you have a leaky roof means they then considered there is an increased risk of a claim for that in the future, regardless of whether you were claiming for this incident. It's a sort of pre-existing condition.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links