Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2001 manual gearbox going - what will happen when it does?

redbantam

Noisy gearbox on manual 2001 1.3 yaris. I've been advised that it is "going". Is it safe to drive it until that happens? What will happen when it dies?

Change the gearbox oil for the correct spec first.

It could last 100,1,000 or 50,000 miles.. 

On 11/12/2016 at 4:26 PM, redbantam said:

Noisy gearbox on manual 2001 1.3 yaris. I've been advised that it is "going". Is it safe to drive it until that happens? What will happen when it dies?

That's rather a "how long is a piece of string" question. There are three probable/possible failure modes (but a lot of variations within each).

1/ It gets noisier and noisier until you can't stand it and get it fixed (not a failure as such, I know).

2/ It breaks such that no drive is transmitted in one or more gears. You're not going anywhere or not without difficulty.

3/ It breaks such that the drivetrain seizes/jams completely. You're going to stop very suddenly.

If you never go out of town or over 30 mph then 3 may be an acceptable risk. If you regularly hit the bypass or motorway at 70 ... meh.

Of course 2 or 3 could happen with a box showing no sign/sound of impending doom, but with an old box that is saying it's tired the risk is a lot greater. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links