Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota corolla 2014-2016 extreme window fogging up problem

Toyota corolla

I understand that car windows fog up but the new shape Toyota corolla takes fogging up to the next level. Every morning the windows are white I mean snow white . Yes, we turn on the window heaters and after 5 minute it just about clears up. After 10 minutes of driving the car it returns to snow white again. Sometimes I park it and I look around at the other cars and there windows are all clear. But the 2014 Toyota corolla stands out like a sore thumb it's the only one all fogged up. We took it to the lovely people at Toyota Ireland, who will tell you that Toyota is the best built cars in the world till they are blue in the face. They claim the car is ok. Believe me it's not ok, and it's only a matter of time before one of these Toyota Corolla's is a crash thats caused by fogged up windows. Please anyone else with a 2014-2016 Toyota corolla with the same problem comment below.
Thanks for reading

The Corolla hasn't been sold in the UK for years & this is primarily an UK forum so I don't know how many replies you will get - we have a lot of Auris & Auris TS though which are basically the same car without a boot.

Chances are that you have a leak somewhere or are bringing a lot of wet clothing etc. into the car causing a high level of moisture in the atmosphere in the car. Run your aircon (if fitted) & look for the source of moisture.

At least in the UK if somebody was involved in a crash because they had failed to clear/keep clear their windows it would be their fault & liability.

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

The Corolla four door (saloon/sedan) continued to be and is sold in Ireland, where you're located. In several market sectors in the UK, historically four door versions of cars have only sold in low volumes - UK buyers preferring hatchbacks.

What setting do you have the air control set to? If set to recirculate, the car will mist up and take a long time to clear. 

Make sure the air control is set to fresh air. Use the air conditioning (which provides dehumidified air) together with the heater, and the car should demist more quickly.

The basic problem is that there is moisture inside the car; Maybe wet mats, a dodgy seal or small leak somewhere, whatever.

See if you can figure out what's damp and fix that.

Failing that, a quick and dirty bodge is to leave a largish bowl on the back seats full of [coffee/rice/those silica gel packets you get with everything] overnight - This will soak up ambient moisture in the air and hopefully reduce or stop the misting up come morning time.

Don't forget to remove the bowl before you drive off.

If this doesn't help, you need to nail down the source of the moisture first!

I had a similar issue until I cleaned the inside glass until it was squeaky clean. Dip a lint free clean rag in some isopropyl alcohol, and spend a bit of time cleaning the glass.

You'll be surprised how mucky the glass is, even though it looks clean at the start.

It's amazing how much difference aircon makes. The wife has a non aircon Aygo Sport, and that takes forever to clear during the colder months. Then again, it never seems to completely clear. Mine's fairly quick to clear with the aircon on.

Even Toyota have cleaned our windows and reset the ventilation system. Maybe the UK  corolla hatchback 2014 - 2015 might have the same window problems ?

Photo on 18-12-2016 at 16.25.jpg

The Corolla four door only has some similarities to the Auris (essentially the Corolla hatchback). For example the Corolla has a larger wheelbase (2700mm - same as the Avensis - as opposed to 2600mm of the Auris), and a larger cabin, so the flow of air/moisture through the cabin may differ.

• 2 years later...

the exact same thing happening with my Toyota Corolla 2016, I used Rainex  defogging spray, I used everything, but the fogging comes back after 10 -15 minutes, I live in Regina Saskatchewan, this is too much headach for me, I don't know what to do. I set all the environment temperature , but still my windows and windshields get white with fog or ice. 

Assuming normal precautions of cleaning the inside of the windows has been done, 

• set to outside air
  • set to demist
  • Set temp
  • AC should have come on, if not select on

Glass should demist

Inspect and/or replace the cabin filter, it more that likely hasn't been touched in years

• Like 1

Cabin filter is the most important filter in the car and most negligible change by the dealers, very long intervals for change at first place by the manufacturers set all that causes various problems like misty windscreen or the worst pollution that car passenger are breathing in. But because if not changing it you won’t damage your car and no one cares. At least once a year this filter should be changed and for a high miles drivers every service no matter how often is or how clean the filter look. Usually the cars with low miles and a full dealer service history are the one mostly affected by a dirty cabin filter. 

If it's any consolation my MY19 is just as bad - the worst for windscreen fogging that I've encountered in the last 20 years! OK, I only have a short journey, but this morning I had the engine running for 7-8 minutes whilst I scraped the car, and sat in it for a little while, then a 10 minute drive, all the time on full demist, and by the time I got to work the screen was still 10% fogged. OK we've had a LOT of rain, and I live in the (very damp) countryside, but my recently replaced Audi Avant was never this bad. When I get the chance I'll clean the screen with IPA to see if that reduces the amount of condensation.

I am having the problem with the windscreen flogging up in front sensors behind the interior mirror which i never had with ford. Is anyone having the same problem.

6 minutes ago, Leo63 said:

I am having the problem with the windscreen flogging up in front sensors behind the interior mirror which i never had with ford. Is anyone having the same problem.

Not so it interfered with the sensors, but I’ve had drips running down the screen from behind that trim. 

My car is at the dealership tomorrow for a warranty issue i will  ask them to check as i also have problems with water running from the trim.

• 2 weeks later...

I've revised my opinion.  It's not that the condensation is that much worse, it's just that the ability to clear it is absolutely crap.  This morning, the classic. Heavy rain overnight, with falling temperatures, with the result that everything had a carapace if ice, and the car was well fogged up.  So, I turn it on, and get out to scrape the ice off the side windows and screen. Then I scraped the wife's car, side windows and screen.  Corolla screen still half fogged.  Drove off, and 15 minutes later it's still not completely cleared. 🙄 Underpowered fan is the likeliest culprit.

Mine actually fogged up a little now and again this morning for the first time. And I noticed that the recirculate mode had switched off. Don't know why that happened as I haven't touched the controls since activating it.

I didn't bother redirecting airflow to the windscreen though as it managed to avoid becoming a problem anyway.

Ah well, I have the joys of living in what is currently quite a damp patch of countryside!

@rafletcher - isn't it just? Although from today through next weekend finally looks dry. I'm a keen golfer and have been despairing about the rain for weeks now. I'm usually the first person to excuse it by saying that we need it but I think this year enough is enough.

7 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

@rafletcher - isn't it just? Although from today through next weekend finally looks dry. I'm a keen golfer and have been despairing about the rain for weeks now. I'm usually the first person to excuse it by saying that we need it but I think this year enough is enough.

My wife and I were commenting, it's been the wettest November sine we moved in 20 years ago. We moved on 5th November, and I swear it rained until Christmas! But yes, the next few days look cold and hopefully clear, with some dry air.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links