Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Parking brake warning light is blinking

Rimvis78

Hi,

Is anyone experiencing problem when you start an engine, parking brake warning light starts blinking for couple seconds and then turns off? Fluid level is OK. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or hot.

2009 Avensis, T27, petrol, 1.8, 108Kw.

I have had a couple EPB of errors before - the most recent was that the brakes didn't release fully when I let the clutch up. The warning light went out then when I pressed the clutch down and repeated, the EPB light flashed the went out. The brakes released and behaved as normal for the rest of the day. That was yesterday. 

I think around a year ago, I had a problem where I left the clutch up and the brakes did not release. The EPB light was on all the time. I switched the car off, then turned it back on, put the car into gear, the pulled the EPB switch and the brakes worked fine. I suspected the pedal switches or in that area.

Not the same as your issue, but odd blips.

I also changed the rear brakes earlier this year, and the EPB light flashed on start up. What we did was press the clutch and brake pedals, and disengage/engage the EPB. After a couple of minutes the EPB returned to normal when the brakes settled.

You may need to see somebody who has diagnostic kit to check the systems.   

• 3 years later...

Hi, I have a same issue on Avensis 2012 FL D4D 91kw. It is blinkig after overnight or even longer parking, especially in cold weather. I think that this could be happening due to old Battery, which is not in optimal condition right now. Its original Toyota, but 8yrs old.

• 1 year later...
On 4/1/2020 at 3:15 PM, dirtbiker said:

Hi, I have a same issue on Avensis 2012 FL D4D 91kw. It is blinkig after overnight or even longer parking, especially in cold weather. I think that this could be happening due to old battery, which is not in optimal condition right now. Its original Toyota, but 8yrs old.

Was it the Battery? I have the same problem when its cold and the car has been paked after night the car is harder to start and the parking brake light is flashing/blinking

3 hours ago, Vang1 said:

Was it the battery? I have the same problem when its cold and the car has been paked after night the car is harder to start and the parking brake light is flashing/blinking

Since the person has not posted in a while, I will give my own answer just in case there is no response. Generally a weak Battery will cause a lot of problems. First start on cold mornings is a high current draw. I would assume the Battery has been replaced, but dirtbiker (Jakub) has not replied to if and how he solved the solution. 
I had a weak Battery last year, and depending how depleted the battery is, once the engine has started, some drivers have the heater running, lights and radio on, so trying to release the parking brake is another draw. Also the EPB system detects the power is low, so flashes a warning. Usually the alternator charges the battery in a few moments, so the EPB light stops flashing and there is enough power to release power brake. I had a mini jump starter that helped me until I replaced the battery. My car is 1.8 Valvematic. 
You have a warning, so either have a suitable jump starter or replace the battery.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links