Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius Mk 4 Mpg

nellsey

I checked the average speed - I totally forgot - the instrument cluster average speed is completely bogus. When I checked it, it read 6 MPH!! The MFD was more accurate showing 30 MPH, but then it mostly only ever shows 30 MPH...

13 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I checked the average speed - I totally forgot - the instrument cluster average speed is completely bogus. When I checked it, it read 6 MPH (9.66km/h)!! The MFD was more accurate showing 30 MPH (48.28km/h), but then it mostly only ever shows 30 MPH (48.28km/h)...

How are you measuring the average MPH to compare with the instrument cluster/MFD?

I'm not - I'm just comparing the MFD average with the instrument cluster average.

It would seem the average speed only resets when you clear the computer, rather than just resetting this trip stats.

I also did a full tank fill this time. Computer range was 405 miles. I can get approximately 40 miles beyond the range, so I think I can get 445 miles out of a tank (working on 7.5 imperial gallons in the tank, that equates to a tank average of 60 MPG). Of the 4 journeys I did so far (approx. 100 miles) I have averaged per journey (computer reported):

* 65 MPG
* 71 MPG
* 72 MPG
* 59 MPG (no comment :laugh: )

That gives an overall average of 66.7 MPG (computer reported). The fuel instrument has just left the F mark.

Computer thinks 285 miles remaining, with 140 miles since the last fill-up. Estimated range is 465 miles with a tank average 62 MPG.

I have done a full tank test.

Display said 74.1

Actual 73.4

I know it is the best time of year but the mpg is superb!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes the mpg is another bonus of this lovely car. I am aware that you can drive for extreme economy but I never aimed for that in my Gen 3.  I averaged about 53mpg.   In the Gen 4 I have averaged 63.8 mpg true calculated over 2650 miles so far.  I usually drive in the calm manner engendered by the car but do sometimes drive fast just for a change or on a long trip. 

On the other hand I drove back from work a few weeks ago on a nice warm day and noticed a display as I stopped, showing 92.8 mpg.  This is a short (8.3 miles) cross country trip with ups and downs and a bit of main road driving.  So I started checking the display and with careful throttle control got more electric running.  Last Friday return from an out of town spot through edge of town (32mph max, 40 and 60mph roads) yielded 109.7 mpg over 11.4 miles.  I am careful not to hold up following drivers. This is of course getting better than the official road test figure so I am surprised and pleased that this is possible on slower routes.  Incidentally,  my wife then asked for a lift into town centre, and the round trip with a warm engine didn’t use any petrol.

My best is 122 mpg on an 8 mile trip because the journey was mostly level or slight downhill in a 40 speed limit and the car ran for 90% of the way with the engine off, coming back I got  69mpg because the slight uphill would not keep the engine off for very long at 40mpg. .  If you lived in a very flat area such as the fens then local trips would give you excellent mpg.

The big advantage of these vehicles is the ability to glide with no engine drag, each time you lift your foot off the pedal the valves open, this effect is not possible on normal vehicles without coasting in neutral or holding down the clutch pedal

Haha!  that's the target then!  Actually on the 109mpg journey the first, slower half was showing 140 mpg but the 60 mph road at the end knocked it down.  Still,  it's fun to see what it can do.