Do Not Sell My Personal Information

avensis rear wheel bearing

avensisTR1415

so with almost 200k miles on the clock its time to replace a rear wheel bearing on my 2008 avensis TR 2.0 d4d..... after a quick search it seems the entire hub needs to be replaced unlike the front bearing where I got a new bearing pressed in .... is this correct?

If its the entire hub that I need to replace I may have a go myself... ive replaced brake pads and brake discs before with no issues. ... looks like a straight forward job ...or should I seek out a mechanic. ?

I think I may as replace both rear bearings with 200k miles both would be well wore.

any pointers or help much appreciated

Yes it's the entire hub assembly. Preparation would pay off here. 

The mounting bolts should be spayed liberally with plus gas or WD40 in advance of starting the job. Also spray the abs sensor cable. You need to be sure you can remove this without damage before starting the job proper. 

The socket in which the bearing assembly sits may also be corroded - separation shouldn't be too difficult - a metal drift - crow-bar and even a puller might come in handy. (I've not had to swap these yet but knowing the problems encountered on other models it's best to have these available) 

If you're able to overcome these issues, the rest should be easy. Also the handbrake shoes may possibly need replacing. Again you can check before dismantling using the spy-hole. 

• Like 2

Cheers for the reply gazza... from what u said above sounds like its doable for me.

I think I recall a member on here who can supply original toyota parts if anyone knows his name can you let me know. im looking for a rear hub assembly for a 2008 2.0 d4d

I have done hub bearings before - once one my Mk1 Avensis (drum brakes). Changed that in just over 20 minutes! Then I removed one from a vvti Mk1 with rear disc/drum combo. Again easy to change, but takes longer by having to remove caliper then disc, plus turning the drum adjusters. 

The last was on a Prius hybrid front hub. That needed a blow torch because the different metals effectively welded the parts together. 

You don't have to get the original part unless you want to pay over the odds and intend to keep the car for ever. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-WHEEL-HUB-BEARING-WITH-ABS-FOR-TOYOTA-AVENSIS-2003-08-PRIUS-NHW20-2003-09-/122260367562?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota|Model%3AAvensis|Plat_Gen%3AT25_&hash=item1c774928ca:g:9v0AAOSwLVZV0HjU

When I helped change the Prius front bearing hub for my friend, he got it from eBay and it was of a good quality and everything that was needed came in the box.

The choice is yours and Gary is correct about preparation. have all the right tools, lots of WD40 and time if seized.

Hope it goes well. 

• Like 1

thanks for that konrad... ive had the car from new... it hasnt cost me much in 200k miles... just normal wear and tear stuff.... so im happy to spend a bit more on original parts... had a bad experience with a non toyota fuel filter once ... ill be keeping her till the end.

thanks again you guys have given me the confidence to take this job on

• Like 1