Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris single rear fog and reversing lights

jonny123456

I only noticed this at the weekend when checking the lights (which may indicate how often it's been done!)

Am I right in saying that the Auris (2009) only has one rear fog light (on the right), and only one reversing light (on the left)?

The legal requirement for rear fog lights is that one must be fitted to the offside of the vehicle. 

It is common for manufacturers to comply with the legislation by only fitting the one rear fog light, and some balance the look of the vehicle by fitting the reversing light in the equivalent place on the nearside.

My 2009 and my 2012 Auris both had one rear fog light fitted on the offside.

Does your profile need updating to include the Auris?

Cheers for that, it's good to confirm. 

Profile also updated to include (the wife's) Auris :smile:

My 2011 Auris (facelift lights are different I know) has one rear fog light on off-side and reversing lights on both sides. 

As an aside be careful as with my sausage fingers it's easy for the wedge based bulb to come out of the holder and fall inside the light unit. Been there done that!

Jez

• 1 month later...

Yes my 2013 tourer only has one rear fog and one reversing light, this although legal find very penny pinching considering the otherwise hi spec of the EXCEL it doesn't seem to have any consistency as some cars I've had have had 2 Some cars 1 ironically my previous 5 Toyota's have had 2 including my last PRIUS mk2

Just because a car is a high spec version doesn't mean the manufacturer will go to the additional expense of fitting different rear light clusters and extra wiring loom. If they did, the cost would invariably be passed onto the customer.

On some VAG cars they used to fit rear fog lights, complete with bulb holder and bulb on both sides of the car,  but the nearside lamp was disabled in the electronics settings from the factory! It was possible to enable both lamps by changing a setting using VCDS software and cable,  which I did on my Skoda. Seemed silly to have a bulb sat there doing nothing! 

Both my Jetta and Passat only had one fog light but all it needed was a wire from one side of the boot to the other as the connection points were there as was the bulb holder ready for a bulb to be fitted, cheap and simple to do.

As the rear fog light is there for your car to be seen in poor visibility  the surly two rear fog lights is a lot safer and covering both sides of the car.

Much the same with having one reversing light, two lights cover a bigger area .

Similar subject to the following Avensis post - 

Some people also want a balanced look to the rear lights. I am not too bothered, as they serve their function.