Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres "Skipping".

Donsky

Hi all, I have problem with my front tyres wearing on the outside edges (both tyres), when I had a 4 wheel alignment check done it was all OK. Have also noticed that the front wheels "skip" under certain condition (when on nearly full lock on a slope), I've phoned the local dealer and he tells me that it's a known problem, which has been confirmed by a post I found on this forum relating to an older Yaris model than mine. I've got the car booked in for 2 new front tyres next week and the tyre company say that they will recheck the alignment as well, according to the local dealer that should stop the "skipping" problem "for a while" but he wasn't to sure why the tyres are wearing on the edges, just hoping that the problems don't come back too soon.

Just as a "bye the bye" comment, I've owned Toyota's for 11 years (2 Yaris and 1 Corolla) and always been happy with them UNTIL I bought this 2013 Yaris, first problem was after about 3 months the Satnav would just stay on loading maps intermittently, after 5 visits to the dealer they finally changed the whole unit (free of charge). Also didn't like the Touch & Go display dimming down when you turn on the headlights, OK at night but you can't see the Satnav if you have to have lights on during the day, emailed head office and a woman phoned me to ask about the problem, told me to make various changes to the Satnav/dislay setting but I had already tried them. She finally phoned me back after talking to Toyota Engineers and told me that nothing could be done as it was part of the design, not a very good design if you have to keep switching the lights off to see the Satnav.  

All in all not greatly impressed after owning two great cars in the past.    

• Like 1

For what it is worth  Mercedes also seem to be having a similar problem with tyres on full lock on RHD GLCs & GLAs.

You should be able to change the satnav display to stay on bright when the headlights are on.

" You should be able to change the satnav display to stay on bright when the headlights are on."

There's nothing in the settings that enable you to do this, as said even Toyota admitted defeat on that one, the amount of "dimming" is preset in the control software.

Apparently the Honda CRV display also dims down when the headlights are on, so my friend who has one informs me.

19 hours ago, Donsky said:

" You should be able to change the satnav display to stay on bright when the headlights are on."

There's nothing in the settings that enable you to do this, as said even Toyota admitted defeat on that one, the amount of "dimming" is preset in the control software.

what system software version are you running? I am sure it exists on my Touch & Go Plus (Options> Map Settings>Day/Night)), it's certainly not a problem that I have currently although I did previously when I changed a setting .... :wink:

Does your Yaris not have daylight running LED's on with the main lights off?

I find the ones on my Aygo to be very bright, and good enough for overcast days, not to need the main lights on.

3 hours ago, fordulike said:

Does your Yaris not have daylight running LED's on with the main lights off?

I find the ones on my Aygo to be very bright, and good enough for overcast days, not to need the main lights on.

Which means the cars following you have no lights to see...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Madasafish said:

Which means the cars following you have no lights to see...

You may be looking too much into it. The powers that be, have already surveyed road safety in vehicles, hence why we now have front daytime running lights on new vehicles.

Surely, if visibility of vehicles in front was an issue during the day, then they would have implemented a law to have the front daylight lights on, as well as the rear lamps.

I personally have never had an issue seeing the car in front on overcast days.

• Like 1

" I am sure it exists on my Touch & Go Plus (Options> Map Settings>Day/Night)),"

The day/night option just gives the appearance of day or night on the satnav graphics (green fields during the day or black countryside at night), it doesn't alter the actual brightness of the Touch & Go screen.

No I don't have running lights on my model of Yaris.

The main reason for daylight running lights is to enable others (eg pedestrians, other drivers, etc) to see the approach of one's car more easily, rather than improve visibility for the driver - and this is why drl's are fitted to the front.

1 hour ago, Donsky said:

" I am sure it exists on my Touch & Go Plus (Options> Map Settings>Day/Night)),"

The day/night option just gives the appearance of day or night on the satnav graphics (green fields during the day or black countryside at night), it doesn't alter the actual brightness of the Touch & Go screen

It does on mine, there is also an auto option which dims it when the lights go on & brightens it when the lights go off.

As I mentioned there is also a separate brightness & contrast setting.

Which system software version are you running?

Software Version is: 2.9.4L.

I've got the brightness up to the highest setting and contrast set at the lowest setting, the display still dims down too much during the day when lights are on.

I am on 2.12 something so that the possibility exists that behaviour may be different), The "night" screen background definitely is not as bright as the "day" background (at least the way that mine is set which is basically in the middle for both brightness &  contrast)).

If you have the contrast turned right down then the screen also gets darker.

I'll put the lights on tomorrow during the day to check but its certainly not an issue that I am aware of having a problem with currently (as I said at 1 point I did when playing around with settings but managed to revert). 

On Touch 1 IIRC there is a "hidden" button in the Display menu that only appears when the headlights are on called "Daymode" or "Use Daymode" I can't totally remember which but once set the display will not dim with the headlights, to access:

Turn your lights on then go to the display settings the button should have appeard in the top RH of the screen press this to cycle the function on/off

Devon, I've got a pic of that that I have just taken on my phone -will upload shortly.

Using Setup button top right of head unit fascia to bring up Setup screen>Display, top rh of screen>Display settings screen.

With the little blue bar on the left of Day mode the screen is bright with lights on (img 1137), touch that field & the blue bar will disappear & the screen dim (img 1138). Touch it again & the blue bar will reappear & the screen brighten again.

P.S. I don't know why these screens are not showing in the post in the order that they should. :wacko: & yes, the car needs a dust :blush:

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

Well I've got to hand it to Devon Aygo, he was spot on with that advice. The display now doesn't dim down when lights are on............How come the "Toyota engineers" in head office didn't know about that,, thanks again Devon Aygo.  

probably because they aren't engineers & probably rarely get much actual time in the many variations of real vehicles that they have to support (especially when there may be many software revisions) ... & these days they are probably more clued up on Touch 2 with Go as T&G has been off sale in new vehicles for a few years.

This is where dealer staff (like Devon Aygo) should be better placed to help as they probably still have more hands on with older systems.

Yes, it's exactly the same as the bottom photo.....Thanks again both of you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2017 at 2:44 PM, Donsky said:

Hi all, I have problem with my front tyres wearing on the outside edges (both tyres), when I had a 4 wheel alignment check done it was all OK. Have also noticed that the front wheels "skip" under certain condition (when on nearly full lock on a slope), I've phoned the local dealer and he tells me that it's a known problem, which has been confirmed by a post I found on this forum relating to an older Yaris model than mine. I've got the car booked in for 2 new front tyres next week and the tyre company say that they will recheck the alignment as well, according to the local dealer that should stop the "skipping" problem "for a while" but he wasn't to sure why the tyres are wearing on the edges, just hoping that the problems don't come back too soon.

I experienced this 'skipping' problem last night. I've had the car two years and never experienced it before.

I checked the wheel nuts, pulled the wheels around, jacked it up to check the suspension and springs and found nothing wrong. I found a suitably large area in a car park to drive it in first and reverse at full lock. There was no characteristic clicking of a failing CV, but this skipping.

I'll be the first to admit there's not a lot of life left in my front tyres.

I know Ackerman isn't a perfect solution to the problem of wheels taking different radii in a turn, but have Toyota done something funny with their geometry?

• 5 years later...

To revive an old thread which would help some to understand the reason for tyre skipping.

A couple of months ago my front tyres started skipping on full lock at very slow speed doing a 3 point turn  - falken with approx 4.5mm. I was worried that a rod or joint had a problem. While I was at the mechanic (family relative) to check out whether the front pads needing changing, he tested in on full lock and said the tyres are not gripping hence it skips, more premium tyres doesn't usually skip. Skipping is not dangerous, tyres did not skip when new. Relieved.  Front pads are only half worn at 49k miles, good for another 30-50k! 

I have noticed this "skipping" issue on my car usually at the end of my street cul-de-sac where there is quite a lot of loose chippings where the potholes have opened up,  when on full lock and driving slowly forward i can feel the tyres skip slightly as they momentarily lose grip i thought it may be a suspension issue but it doesn't do it in car parks  where the road surface is in good condition.  

I also put it down to the Yaris seeming to have  a much tighter turning circle than any other car i have ever owned.

• Like 1

Probably due to the tyre's rubber hardening in cold weather, new or newish summer tyres will still be soft enough not to skip, you could try all season or even winter tyres to avoid this happening.

• 10 months later...

A quick update the car passed it's mot at a  VX garage so it's not a problem. 

• Like 2

That skipping is normal behaviour and typical one for cars with narrower tyres which are most models of Yaris, Aygo and some other Toyota models with up to 205 wide tyres. 215 and above almost never happened. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

That skipping is normal behaviour and typical one for cars with narrower tyres which are most models of Yaris, Aygo and some other Toyota models with up to 205 wide tyres. 215 and above almost never happened. 👍

Its was a bit unnerving when it first did it when i got the car home but a quick search of the forum soon turned up a few threads about tyre skip being normal so i ignored it from then.

• Like 2