Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help for newbie!

Lis111

Hello everyone

I'm a complete newbie looking to buy a Rav 4 and am looking for some advice.  There is a 2003 with 71000 miles and a 2004 with 95000.  I read that the 2003 models often have transmission problems.  Can you please take a look at these two cars and give me any advice or pointers, please?  I'm not sure whether concerns over the transmission should outweigh the extra 23k miles.....???

http://www.vistamotors.co.uk/used-cars/toyota-rav4-2-0-vvt-i-xt3-3dr-hounslow-201611240062493?at_source=autotrader&at_medium=desktop&at_campaign=website-visit

http://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/used-cars-for-sale/toyota/rav4/toyota-rav4-4-1.8-nv-3dr-air-conditioning-alloys-19337755

Thank you so much!

Hello Lis - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Post moved to the Rav4 club to generate some advice for you.

• Like 1

Hello Lis if you look at the fog lights you will see that one has round ones so is a face lift model with other slight improvementsl if that helps

Del

• Like 1

Thanks!  Do you think the mileage difference is not relevant then?

Hi Lis  I may be wrong but I think the 1.8 2003 is not 4wd but the other 2.0 2004 is . 

I have a 2004 5 door petrol manual same as the 2004 you list but 5 door . The petrol ones are brilliant and reliable , some have had a problem with the 5th gear rattling and can jump out of gear I had to do mine a few years back around £300- £400 if someone does it for you. I would suggest driving it and put it into 5th at different speeds and see if lever moves forward and back and vibrates when in gear if so get them to replace the 5 th gear, once done will be ok, it may have been already sorted. Mileage not a problem will do many miles mine has 97k now. Just decide if you want 2wd or 4wd , I know some 1.8 are 2wd hopefully someone else will confirm this for you. Hope some help to you.

• Like 1

My main consideration would be the condition of each - the miles are not a big factor.  Some low mileage cars do many short trips, and some high milers do fewer, longer trips.  The short trips are harder on the car than the greater mileage.

Note that the 2004 has the 2.0 litre engine, whereas the 2003 has the 1.8, which is less powerful but supposed to be more refined and economical.  According to PARKERS, the 1.8 is 2WD, and the 2.0 is 4WD.  The 1.8 is less well equipped because it is NV level, whereas the 2.0 is XT3 - see Parkers for the differences.

If condition of both are acceptable, my choice would be the 2.0, because of the 4WD. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this - all these answers are really helpful. Great pointer about checking the 5th gear - and also great to know that about mileage. :-)

Hi guys

I have another query - i see that 2003 rav 4s have been plagued with transmission problems.  Is this only relevant on automatics or does this also affect manuals?  It seems 2004 models are less problematic, although Grumpy Stumpy's 2004 also had this issue. Grumpy Stumpy, was this an ECU issue?  

Thanks again!

All the references I can find describe the issue as "jumping from gear to gear" and attribute this problem to the ECM.   Clearly this does not apply to manual transmissions, where gearchanging is only under driver control, and in which an ECM plays no part.

Thanks Ian!  That's great - i dont need to worry about this at all then.

5th gear problem only on manual's not automatic,s . I believe some auto boxes have had an issue but once the  Ecu gets looked at then ok .

i would drive along and there would be a vibrating sound , if you held the gear lever you could stop the noise, when it gets really bad it jumps out of 5th, replacing just the 5th gear assembly fixes this . Noticed mine at around 53k miles so replaced it and now done 97k all fine still . So not a Ecu issue on manual's  but a worn 5th gear.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2003 2.0 petrol 4wd 5 door with 79000 miles and haven't had any problems. Flew through the MOT in November, Solid car!