Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2011 toyota corolla

Aledso

Hey guys, so I was having Battery issues with my 2011 corolla. I had to give it a jump everytime to start it. So on one occasion I swap the negative and positive terminals on charge cables and sparks flew a bit on the Battery. After that the car turned on but it did not accelerate anymore. I swapped the Battery but that didn't do the trick. I was wondering if I have to reprogram the computer, ECU, to get it working again, or is there any other issue with it? If it is the ECU, is there a way to manually do it without taking it to the dealer? Thank you.

4 hours ago, Aledso said:

So on one occasion I swap the negative and positive terminals on charge cables and sparks flew a bit on the battery.

What you've done here is force all the positive electrons from the other car to go the wrong way down a one way street. And, as far as I know, the protection cars have for this is minimal.

I would not be at all surprised if you've fried something. Hopefully just some fuses, so I'd check those immediately (both in the engine bay and in the cockpit) and see if any of them are blown. But it's likely you've fried your ECU, which would mean purchasing a new one.

Agree with Mick, you might well have blown something, though usually a blown fuse will stop a function all together, but do check  all the fuses, both under the bonnet and inside.

When the Battery is disconnected the ECU needs to re-learn when connected up again and initial running can typically  be very rough at tickover / cold start  etc.

See if running it for 15 -20mins slowly improves things; if its too bad to do that you need a dealer check up.

When you say accelerate, can you drive the car at all, or simply no forwards power ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links