Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid / EV technology

MetManMark

1 minute ago, PeteB said:

I very seriously considered a Tesla Model S before deciding on my Gen 4 Prius.  With the longer range battery (about £4k extra!), 4 wheel drive, air suspension and one or two other goodies it would have cost over £80k, but even with a claimed range of over 300 miles (not actually achievable unless you kept below 55 mph, used very moderate acceleration and no heating or A/C - and no open windows either!) it would not have managed some of my UK journeys.

If there had been a serious number of very fast charging points in the East of England at the time it might have been a different story, but 20-30 hours charging requirement for a day trip rather defeated things (always assuming I could find anywhere to charge).

I had thought my Gen 3 Prius would be my last Toyota, especially when they announced 4WD for the Gen 4 and then didn't give it to anyone outside Japan, but there are so many other good things about the Gen 4 that for now it's cured my desire for an EV.  

I just hope When the time comes, that I can stretch to a PIP next.

Just now, Anthony Poli said:

I just hope When the time comes, that I can stretch to a PIP next.

The old PiP was sunk for me because of the lack of a spare wheel.  I would have loved one apart from that.

The new one adds no rear wiper - I swore (literally!) after my 2 Gen 1 Prius I will never, ever, again have a car without this, not matter what other gizmos it has.

7 hours ago, johalareewi said:

In the days of the gen2 and early gen3 prius it was possible to do just that.  Plenty of info over on Prius Chat and there was a member of this forum in the UK who did it to his gen3 prius.  And you could top up from the mains electricity supply.

So far I haven't seen any positive threads, but I wouldn't even think of getting another hybrid Battery from a scrapyard :blink:

I was just dreaming about the amount of used but good 18650, easily enough for 1.8KWh Battery or even several of them. 

At work I am always asked to soup up old cordless power tools, a simpler task using a simple bfs board.

I am changing to a Hybrid from an EV (Renault Zoe) which has been great fun, but as its the main car in the household it has been quite restrictive at times.  Perfect for my normal total 80 miles weekly commute, but as soon as we want to go on a longer trip it needs more planning.  Its been made worse now by Ecotricity charging for using their fast chargers.  

The drop in range is quite dramatic in the winter, I go from approx 110 miles in the winter to just over 60 miles in the winter.  I think this year has been colder and I am noticing more of a drop.  This is driving the car normally with climate control set to 22 oC. 

My Prius is due 1st March and I can't wait, will seem odd going to a petrol station again though :unsure:

Wheeler Dealers had a Maserati Bi-Turbo converted converted to electric on their latest show last night. They upgraded the system to the latest EV components. Their first EV and Ed and Mike seemed to be into it. 

Watching it now ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am changing to a Hybrid from an EV (Renault Zoe) which has been great fun, but as its the main car in the household it has been quite restrictive at times.  Perfect for my normal total 80 miles weekly commute, but as soon as we want to go on a longer trip it needs more planning.  Its been made worse now by Ecotricity charging for using their fast chargers.  

The drop in range is quite dramatic in the winter, I go from approx 110 miles in the winter to just over 60 miles in the winter.  I think this year has been colder and I am noticing more of a drop.  This is driving the car normally with climate control set to 22 oC. 

My Prius is due 1st March and I can't wait, will seem odd going to a petrol station again though unsure.png

Are you going for a standard or a plugin?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

Are you going for a standard or a plugin?

I am going for the Standard Excel.  I don't like the styling of the Plug-In want to get away from having to think about plugging in every few days.

With the plugin prius, plugging it in is optional.  It will happily work as a hybrid prius when there isn't enough electricity for EV operation.

57 minutes ago, johalareewi said:

With the plugin prius, plugging it in is optional.  It will happily work as a hybrid prius when there isn't enough electricity for EV operation.

Interesting, but that kind of defeats the point of buying one though, plus you can't unplug the styling :biggrin:

7 minutes ago, Harters said:

plus you can't unplug the styling :biggrin:

there isn't an awful lot of difference compared to what you are buying - slightly different lights & a concave rear window. http://www.toyota.com/priusprime/

I would say the differences are pretty radical myself. I don't mind the front lights so much, but personally I love the vertical rear lights of the standard Prius.  Also I would really miss not having a rear wiper

Ah well, taste is a personal thing (personally I think that the Prime's lights integrate better). If they have the airflow right then no rear wiper shouldn't be a big issue.

On 10 January 2017 at 3:33 PM, PeteB said:

The new one adds no rear wiper - I swore (literally!) after my 2 Gen 1 Prius I will never, ever, again have a car without this, not matter what other gizmos it has.

My reaction has been similar!

Just been watching the videos on the Toyota UK website about the new PiP however - and I think I'm almost sold. We'll see what price its released at......

I'm hoping it'll be here in the next month or so, so can be registered prior to the new RFL changes when it'll then qualify for £145 a year tax rather than £0.

Loving the idea of it charging itself with the solar roof during the day etc. Only 'upto' 3 miles a day, but adds up, and will be a fair top up when its parked for a week in the airport carpark etc :)

Still not liking the lack of storage in the new PiP though, how are you coping with it in your new gen4 over your previous gen3 Pete - I know this was something you commented on also at the release of the gen4.

51 minutes ago, MEP's Yaris GS said:

Still not liking the lack of storage in the new PiP though, how are you coping with it in your new gen4 over your previous gen3 Pete - I know this was something you commented on also at the release of the gen4.

Hi Jon - long time no hear - thought you'd gone to Italy :biggrin:

The single small glove-box is one of the few things I find a royal PITA - I frequently swear at Toyota when the glove-box won't shut (or flies open when driving) - I usually have to repack everything when I take something out to use.

I also really miss the under boot storage - things like my folding shovel, compressor and other bits and pieces now float around the boot floor instead of being tidily underneath - putting my folding eBike in and out is now much more of a chore.

But, mostly I'm still loving my Gen 4 more than any previous Toyota (or Lexus or Honda for that matter) Hybrid I've owned or driven (including the £100,000 Lexus LS).

4 minutes ago, PeteB said:
...I also really miss the under boot storage - things like my folding shovel, compressor etc...

Oh yes, and all the things that should be in the missing 2nd glove-box!

8 hours ago, PeteB said:

Hi Jon - long time no hear - thought you'd gone to Italy :biggrin:

The single small glove-box is one of the few things I find a royal PITA - I frequently swear at Toyota when the glove-box won't shut (or flies open when driving) - I usually have to repack everything when I take something out to use.

I also really miss the under boot storage - things like my folding shovel, compressor and other bits and pieces now float around the boot floor instead of being tidily underneath - putting my folding eBike in and out is now much more of a chore.

But, mostly I'm still loving my Gen 4 more than any previous Toyota (or Lexus or Honda for that matter) Hybrid I've owned or driven (including the £100,000 Lexus LS).

No need for swearing (H***A)  :laugh:

I am an oddball as the only things I ever carry in my car are a duster and remote garage door opener in the driver’s door pocket, mints, a pen and a small hand sanitiser in the central folding armrest and a small boot tidy for my emergency bird mess removing kit in the boot :ph34r:

My glovebox is always empty except when we go out and it may have the house keys and a wallet in it :laugh:

This has always been the same in all the cars I had had even when there has been more storage options that I currently have, guess I just like an uncluttered interior

Since I had the privilege to have a ride and work on Waqar's Gen2 Prius, I have had a bit of a EV/hybrid envy. I wishes I had gone for a hybrid instead of my Avensis, so the Auris TS is my next "dream car". The Avensis Tourer has been useful so far and has soften the need to change. I sometimes carry a Dahon Cadenza 16 speed, 26" wheeled, lightweight folding bike, in the boot, with space to spare, seats and cover in place. I also have carried lots of tools, the occasional cupboard, single bed at squeeze. I sometimes carry an adult kick scooter too. The Auris TS would be the natural replacement. 

It would long time before I can afford a "decent" EV.

11 hours ago, PeteB said:
...The single small glove-box is one of the few things I find a royal PITA - I frequently swear at Toyota when the glove-box won't shut (or flies open when driving) - I usually have to repack everything when I take something out to use...

3 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

No need for swearing (H***A)  :laugh:

You're right - I wouldn't swear if I ever met the Toyota people responsible for removing the second glove-box and under boot storage - but my hands would be tightly round their necks...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harters said:

I am an oddball as the only things I ever carry in my car are a duster and remote garage door opener in the driver’s door pocket, mints, a pen and a small hand sanitiser in the central folding armrest and a small boot tidy for my emergency bird mess removing kit in the boot :ph34r:

My glovebox is always empty except when we go out and it may have the house keys and a wallet in it :laugh:

This has always been the same in all the cars I had had even when there has been more storage options that I currently have, guess I just like an uncluttered interior

Sure we're all different, but I find it hard to understand why Toyota once thought it was attractive to give plenty of storage (so clutter is at least out of sight) and then take it away again - the previous generation Yaris had three glove-boxes! - now it only has one that's too small even for just the handbook of my previous Gen 3 Prius!

I spend more time in my car than in my home - so things like the folding binoculars I use when parked on the clifftop to look out to sea, bag of change for car parks, wipes, tissues, OBD dongle, spare charger leads, different mounts for phones, camera etc, air freshener refill, folding umbrella, breathalyser (for morning after), tread depth gauge, pressure gauge &etc. all compete for space.  And I certainly don't want them floating around in a crash.

Also, it's only a matter of time before we catch up with many parts of Europe (despite Brexit!) of being required by law to carry a Hi-Viz vest for every occupant inside the car.

My first car, a 1960 Mini and my second, a 1968 BL 1300 both had vastly more storage space than a 2016 Prius!

• Like 2

Oh Wow that's making my OCD neatness go into a spin :laugh:

Now I can see why you are disappointed with the storage on offer :blink:

1 minute ago, Harters said:

...Now I can see why you are disappointed with the storage on offer :blink:

Especially when I have to go to the boot in the rain for something that in my Gen 2 & 3 Prius and 2011 Yaris would have been in one of the glove-boxes!   Grrrr

55 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Since I had the privilege to have a ride and work on Waqar's Gen2 Prius, I have had a bit of a EV/hybrid envy. I wishes I had gone for a hybrid instead of my Avensis, so the Auris TS is my next "dream car". The Avensis Tourer has been useful so far and has soften the need to change. I sometimes carry a Dahon Cadenza 16 speed, 26" wheeled, lightweight folding bike, in the boot, with space to spare, seats and cover in place. I also have carried lots of tools, the occasional cupboard, single bed at squeeze. I sometimes carry an adult kick scooter too. The Auris TS would be the natural replacement. 

It would long time before I can afford a "decent" EV.

Ideally I wanted a Auris TS, sadly they were too new and no chance of a used one in my budget. The standard new shape Auris has a much bigger boot than mine :wink:

• Like 1

On 1/11/2017 at 1:20 PM, Harters said:

Interesting, but that kind of defeats the point of buying one though, plus you can't unplug the styling :biggrin:

You would think so but after many years of gen3 prius driving, I realised how useful it would be if I could set off in the morning with a larger, fully charged HV Battery (and now I can).

The new plugin should have lots of new tech not available of the normal gen4 prius (heat pump, solar panel) but at the moment, you can't buy the new plugin in the UK (or even see one AFAIK).

Interesting, but that kind of defeats the point of buying one though, plus you can't unplug the styling biggrin.png

You would think so but after many years of gen3 prius driving, I realised how useful it would be if I could set off in the morning with a larger, fully charged HV Battery (and now I can).

The new plugin should have lots of new tech not available of the normal gen4 prius (heat pump, solar panel) but at the moment, you can't buy the new plugin in the UK (or even see one AFAIK).

How far is the EV range in yours supposedly?

I'd be happy with 3 miles instead of the 1/2 miles mine can manage. I'm sure that would make quite a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk