Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is the hybrid engine too weak for the new CHR

nielshm

I found this clip on Youtube, showing acceleration fra 0-140.

It seems like the car is struggeling, 122 hp is not a lot for a car of this size. It's higher, heavier and fitted with wider tyres, than the Auris. I fear it could be a bit difficult driving at hign speeds, and still keeping revs low. After all, the car is 90 mm. higher and 170 kg. heavier.

Since the hybrid systen is similar to the one found in the Auris, a full acceleration seems a lot faster.

Have you tried the car yet, and what first impressions have you experienced?

In terms of size the C-HR isn't that different to the Auris (although the C-HR is not based on the Auris), and is lighter than the Auris.

Length - Auris 4330mm - C-HR 4360mm

Width - Auris 1760mm - C-HR 1795mm

Height - Auris 1475mm - C-HR 1555mm

Kerb weight - Auris 1415-1425kg - C-HR 1380-1420kg.

• Like 1

The danish specs is quite different. The CHR weighs 1525 kg as a Hybrid. The 1.2T is 50 kg lighter. 

The Auris weighs 1425 kg as a Hybrid and the 1.2T is 100 kg lighter. 

It looks like the UK driving experience of the C-HR will be different to that in the Netherlands, and the two versions of the C-HR hybrid won't be directly comparable.

Like all Hybrids it is a bit "Revvy" but drives and handles superbly. Once you get used to how the Hybrid system drives, you will get used to it.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2017 at 4:30 PM, Parts-King said:

Like all Hybrids it is a bit "Revvy" but drives and handles superbly. Once you get used to how the Hybrid system drives, you will get used to it.

Today I drive the 1.2T Auris with CVT. I find the CVT less "revvy" than the Hybrid, due to the better torque from the turbo. Turbocharged engine and CVT works pretty well in the Auris. How ever, if I fill the car with passengers and suitcases in the back, the CVT is a lot harder drive with low revs. The extra weight clearly makes a difference.

So if the CHR is higher, heavier and with wider tires, that must be something that can be felt every day.

The CHR looks great, but it's a shame if the engine or drivetrain does'nt match the look. 

I drove one yesterday and power seemed adequate, might not be as powerful as some of the cars I have owned but as I currently have a Prius the hybrid C-HR seems a reasonable replacement for me.

I've come from a Prius to a C-HR, it has more power, directional stability through the bends is vastly superior. You don't realise how good it till you drive one. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered mine as a company/leased car last week. A Hybrid,metal stream, dynamic. I am currently driving a Prius plus so really looking forward to driving the C-HR. I haven't had a test drive but I have no complaints about the Prius plus so even if the C-HR drive is the same, with the style that the C-HR brings  I will be happy enough.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2017 at 6:46 PM, nielshm said:

122 hp is not a lot for a car of this size

Having looked at the power of the cars I have owned I found that most of them had less than 122bhp which would suggest that the power is adequate for my needs especially as I never seem to do 0-60 as fast as possible

• 4 weeks later...

We have had our hybrid Excel 2 days now.  Can't comment on mid range acceleration yet, but from standing start it picks up really quickly with instant throttle response.  All aspects of handling are excellent too.  We are very pleased.  Our other Toyota is a GT86, fitted with a Cosworth supercharger.  Even against that, the C-HR is very satisfying.  Motorway driving coming soon!

• Like 1

Got mine today,only driven it back from the dealership and on a local shopping trip so never exceeded 40mph. No problem keeping up with other traffic - performance as expected.

120 mile trip on motorway. Acceleration was fine for overtaking and keeping up with traffic.

• 1 month later...

We've had a C-HR (a Dynamic hybrid) on loan from Toyota for a week so I've tested it quite thorougly on both motorways, back roads and through town. I would not worry about acceleration, they have tuned it so the electric motor gives more 'shove' at lower speeds than the previous generation of HSD cars. This means that in day-to-day driving it feels much more responsive and able to keep up with traffic with out much strain. Higher speeds are fine too. Of course, as usual with the HSD drivetrains, if you want to overtake at high speeds the revs will shoot up but pace is adequate. 

Don't judge until you've test driven one. Once you are in one, you will not really worry about pace. The way the C-HR soaks up bumps, turns in and holds the line through corners will make for an enjoyable drive regardless of acceleration. The combination of low speed grunt, road manners and design makes this car almost feel a bit European but with a very clear Japanese distinction. If nothing else, I think this is Toyota's response to the competitive pressure asserted by the European market and manufacturers for cars that are great to drive and that look good.

Absolutely agree with APS above.  Sums things up nicely!!

I've done 2,300 in my Hybrid Excel now. It's very good at what it does, pulls away very sharply till about 30 mph and still very responsive after that, but as Parts-King says, does tend to get quite "revvy" if your in a hurry though. Its a very stable platform on twisty roads. I'm getting nearly 58 mpg so far on average on the daily commute, which is mostly 70 mph dual carriageway driving (I tend to sit around 65 mph or down to 60 mph if the traffic flow allows it). I recon its well matched engine / electric motor wise for the size and bulk of the car, suits my driving style very nicely I feel...:smile:

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting if they did make the electric side offer greater performance at low speed. This is something I said recently regarding the Yaris - during the warm-up phase the engine is held at idle (unless you floor it) so most of the performance of the car is from the electric side. It would be good if this was available during normal operation, too.

Does anyone know if the Battery in the C-HR is larger than e.g. Prius/Auris?

EDIT: watched the video, and don't really see what the problem is? If you look at the official performance of any of the Toyota hybrids, they are all around the same figure for 0-60 MPH acceleration (around 10.5 seconds), and all have a top speed of around 105 MPH. Where they differ to conventional cars is they are faster off the mark from a standing start, but slightly slower in the latter part.

If you want a dragster, buy a dragster.

Hybrids are very capable. Yes, they drive differently, but IMHO they are better. Once you get used to them, you won't want to go back.

The single biggest mind-set change is that engine RPM is completely disconnected from acceleration and speed. Sure, going up-hill requires more power (it's physics) but basically you operate it more like an aircraft, and set a power and wait for the car to accelerate. It takes more power to go faster (again, physics) and the power instrument reflects this.

Part of learning to drive a hybrid is knowing what power setting (roughly) gives you what speed when accelerating.

On the Yaris, middle of ECO will get you 30 MPH, 1 tick mark higher will get you 40 MPH, 2 tick marks higher will get you 50 MPH, but then 2.5 tick marks will get you 70 MPH and maybe a little faster if the road is level. Once you're at speed, you can lift off slightly. This is where the magic of hybrids take over - the engine is throttled back slightly*** giving great MPG, and the electric motor takes up the duty of maintaining speed, while the ICE is relegated to electrical generator-in-chief to supply power to the electric motor and charge the HV Battery.

*** compared to a conventional car, a lot! In fact the engine can be idling, as in 1000 RPM at 50 MPH and holding speed. Not even diesels can do that!

RANT: Too many reviews focus on the "noise" made by hybrids under heavy acceleration, but that is only because the engine is brought up to peak torque RPM for maximum acceleration. A conventional car has to work its way there, whereas the hybrid drive-train allows for the engine to run at peak torque for the entire duration (this is why they actually pull so much better - they're running at the optimum all the time).

If you were to drive a conventional car in 3rd gear at 60 MPH, it too can rev its guts out and make a lot of noise! /RANT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/01/2017 at 9:33 PM, nielshm said:

The danish specs is quite different. The CHR weighs 1525 kg as a Hybrid. The 1.2T is 50 kg lighter. 

The Auris weighs 1425 kg as a Hybrid and the 1.2T is 100 kg lighter. 

The Spanish specification gives a kerb weight of "1455*/1495" kgs (depending on wheels - * weight is for 17")