Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent Squeaking Noise

ABToyota

I ma hearing a squeaking noise when I drive my car. But not every time. So I thought it was breaks but the noise is more apparent on the motorway and it lessens when I apply the breaks or when I slow down.

In idle there is no noise. The noise only happens when I am moving and then comes and goes at certain speeds.

I just looked at my last MOT and it had a advisory notice.

Nearside front (wishbone rear bush starting to separate)

Could that be the cause of the squeak and if it is - is that a major fix?

If the noise reduces when you press the brake pedal, then look at the condition of the brake discs and pads. Are they low? Toyota use this system as a low brake pad warning! 

Mine had been doing this for a while and it turned out to be the back caliber still ckingnand wearing down the pad alot

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:03 PM, ABToyota said:

Well it sounds like a whistling noise if thats any help.

Aha..now I have this issue with my Auris - but mine is only 10 months old.

Does the noise only appear when you are doing 50+ and does it only appear after several minutes -ie not immediate? If so it is the same issue.

Keith

On 24/01/2017 at 5:26 PM, silverwood02 said:

Aha..now I have this issue with my Auris - but mine is only 10 months old.

Does the noise only appear when you are doing 50+ and does it only appear after several minutes -ie not immediate? If so it is the same issue.

Keith

Yes the noise only comes at certain times and is not immediate, so what was your issue? 

The car drives and breaks fine and there is no noise when idling or when it is idle or stationary. If I have an idea so when I take it in I can have some confidence I am not going to get something done that's not needed.

2 hours ago, ABToyota said:

Yes the noise only comes at certain times and is not immediate, so what was your issue? 

The car drives and breaks fine and there is no noise when idling or when it is idle or stationary. If I have an idea so when I take it in I can have some confidence I am not going to get something done that's not needed.

The best way to describe the noise is a 'whining' type sound, it appeared after 4 months. We were on the motorway doing around 65 or so, at first I thought the wheel might be coming loose, we stopped checked around nothing. Then set off, no noise, then after about 20 mins or so at speeds in excess of 50 it came back. Took it back to the dealer, they checked the brakes, etc said all was ok. Tried again, sure enough after 50+ the noise comes back. The main man in the dealer took it for  a few days to test. He said it was road noise. Now if that is the case why does it not come on all the time? And why only after months of driving? I am afraid no one at Toyota has a clue. It is not confined to the Auris, apparently the 'Icon' has it too.

Seems nothing can be done - morale of the story for a 'squeaky cars - get Toyota'. In all seriousness though, the dealer assures me the car is safe.

Keith

On 14/01/2017 at 11:32 AM, Konrad C said:

If the noise reduces when you press the brake pedal, then look at the condition of the brake discs and pads. Are they low? Toyota use this system as a low brake pad warning! 

It might be that, the noise does reduce when I press the pedal. How do I check the quality of the break pads and discs?

3 hours ago, ABToyota said:

How do I check the quality of the break pads and discs?

LOL, if you need to ask, get a garage to check it. :biggrin: Kwik Fit will probably do the inspection without charge.

2 hours ago, ABToyota said:

It might be that, the noise does reduce when I press the pedal. How do I check the quality of the break pads and discs?

Check the thickness of the brake pad material and also that the brake disc has not lipped or has ridges. The brake pads should have no less than 3 mm.

You can check the brakes if the wheels are alloys and have large openings, or you will need to remove the wheel for better access.  

Here are photos from last year when I changed my disc and pads all round on my 2009 Avensis.

P1080815.JPG

Looking at the brakes through the wheel

IMG_4463.JPG

Another photo looking through the wheel.

P1080879.JPG

P1080816.JPG

Notice the lip at the edge of the disc.

WP_20160204_009.jpg

These are my old rear discs. The lips show how worn the discs are.

P1080819.JPG

New discs being fitted.

P1080823.JPG

Old and new front pads compared. Not too low but with the disc worn, it was time to change. 

• Like 1

The dealer said it was nothing to do with brakes, in any case the car is only 9 months old.