Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Recalls-steering

sproutdreamer

I see that my 08 1.8Avensis is listed as having a possible excessive spline wear on a steering box shaft so there is a voluntary recall on these cars by Toyota.

My car shows no signs of noises, rattles or other, apparently turning the wheel at low speeds can over torque the splines resulting in looseness, not something I often do!

I am wondering whether to have this (free) check/replacement done. Part of me thinks Yes, a good safety check but the other part thinks that it seems ok why have some (possibly half baked) mechanic mess with it?

My lifetime experience of garages and main dealer has not been good.

Any thoughts or experience of having this done?

I've had experience of two recalls -

1. 2003 Mazda 323  - a butterfly valve inside the manifold had to be replaced - 4 hours work

2. 2009 Toyoita Auris - accelerator pedal shims installed - 20 minutes.

No problem with either.

At the end of the day, its your choice. However, as you're aware of the recall, you leave it, and the part fails, not sure whether any subsequent repair will be chargeable, as you chose not to have the check done.

That is a point Frosty..I have such a distrust af garages that I can visualize them taking apart the steering box, telling me that the recall part is ok but something else needs doing (at great cost to me) or that they have not got the part and I lose the car use for a few days.

I think I will take it in to be done/checked if only so that when I change the car I can declare that the recall work has been done.

Thanks for thoughts.

I have a 57  D-4D Toyota do not have any recall for my car, only for airbag ?

Domo

16 minutes ago, domo149 said:

I have a 57  D-4D Toyota do not have any recall for my car, only for airbag ?

The OP said his was part of a voluntary recall, presumably otherwise known as a voluntary service campaign, so won't be shown on the DVSA (formerly VOSA) recall website.

I believe mine was in regarding the tow bar which I never had fitted and something about the steering too. I've still to get a phone call back from the dealer with the "parts"for the airbag 

The airbag may take some time - saw something in the news today that the Takata airbag recall numbers are now around 100 million vehicles globally, and it is now the largest vehicle recall ever.

• Like 1

Yeah frosty they did say it would take a while.might give them a ring on Monday to refresh their memory. 

I also got a passenger airbag recall letter in the summer stating that i would get a call from the local dealer when they had new stock of airbags.

Well no call ever came so i called my local dealer Steven Eagle Toyota in Peterborough and to my surprise they said no problem, when can you bring it in?

It was replaced yesterday and took about an hour. Apparently dealers can only stock a limited number of airbags as they are classed as explosives which may explain the delays.

i would certainly recommend contacting your local main dealer rather than waiting for them to contact you as stated in the Toyota recall letter.   

• Like 2

Yes I have contacted them after I sent the post on here.they said it would be a few weeks and that's just a 20 miles round trip the other dealers which is around 100 mile round trip was like yourself yes no problem when can I leave it in..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links