Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Steering fault on 2005 UK model?


Coriolis
 Share

Recommended Posts

I like in the UK and have a Corolla that was manufactured in 2005 - five door 1.4VVT-i Manual.

A few days ago I twice noticed a slight to moderate vibration / rumbling throughout the whole car, this lasted about 30 seconds each time and there was about an hour or so between each incidence - I was driving at about 60 to 70mph at the time. It was as if I was driving on a rough road surface, but I wasn't. The garage checked it over but no fault was found.

Today the steering briefly failed (no vibration beforehand) - I was driving down a moderate hill, braking slightly, and suddenly the car turned to the left then sharply to the right as I fought with the steering. It was as if the car was on ice (it wasn't, far too mild over here). I pulled over gently (steering was again working okay) and the car was taken to the garage which just happened to be nearby. It's now awaiting diagnostics and hopefully repair. If not then I guess I'll have to get another car (another Corolla of course, I really like them).

There were no warning lights on the dash.

Thankfully this was on a quiet, minor road and I was only going at about 30mph at the time, no other vehicles around either.

Are there any known steering issues with this Corolla bearing in mind it's 2005 ?

Does this sound like a steering fault? As I was gently braking at the time I do wonder if the brakes may be the cause, but would a brake issue cause the steering to freak out so badly?

Thanks

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Have never read of any such steering issues with the corollas in the forum.

Have you ever braked so hard you have activated the ABS system ?

On occassion I can do that partic if on a slightly gritty or wet  surface  where a wheel might skid, then you can feel a strong judder as the abs kicks in and controls the braking to each wheel, its a very distinctive feeling and sound, like a faster version of those yellow speed warning  lines you sometimes get on approaches to roundabouts.

I wonder if thats whats happening to you, the ABS is coming on at random, braking one side , so pulling your steering over ?

The ABS is a complex system, but the sensors and the sensors connecting cables can be easily damaged, have they been properly checked, no just visually but by a test reading on each sensor ?

The other thing it could be, is a fault with the power steering electric motor, again a fault somewhere could be  causing the motor to overwork etc, its located under the dashboard.

 

Can understand you saying getting another corolla if its that bad, but don't forget that if you sell it without declaring such a serious fault and something happens you could be deemed liable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

May be worth using the Toyota recall checker  -  https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/owners/recall-checker-info.json#/iframe/https%3A%2F%2Fforms.toyota.co.uk%2Frecall-checker%3F_ga%3D1.192872745.202629928.1484251101

-  as there have been a couple of steering related recalls on the Corolla (2006 & 2012).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Have never read of any such steering issues with the corollas in the forum.

Have you ever braked so hard you have activated the ABS system ?

On occassion I can do that partic if on a slightly gritty or wet  surface  where a wheel might skid, then you can feel a strong judder as the abs kicks in and controls the braking to each wheel, its a very distinctive feeling and sound, like a faster version of those yellow speed warning  lines you sometimes get on approaches to roundabouts.

I wonder if thats whats happening to you, the ABS is coming on at random, braking one side , so pulling your steering over ?

The ABS is a complex system, but the sensors and the sensors connecting cables can be easily damaged, have they been properly checked, no just visually but by a test reading on each sensor ?

The other thing it could be, is a fault with the power steering electric motor, again a fault somewhere could be  causing the motor to overwork etc, its located under the dashboard.

 

Can understand you saying getting another corolla if its that bad, but don't forget that if you sell it without declaring such a serious fault and something happens you could be deemed liable.

 

No I didn't brake hard, I don't recall the ABS EVER activiating on my car, not even sure if it has an ABS! When this inciddent occurred I was going down a moderate hill (steering straight at the time) and was only gently braking as I wasn't going fast. Despite the fact that I was steering straight the steering wheel suddenly and violently hooked to the left and I immediately steered right but it was difficult to correct its course. Thankfully I managed it though and immediately pulled over.

And don't worry, if the steering issue cannot be diagnosed or resolved and I end up having to get another car I'll be selling this one (likely as scrap!) with a full and detailed declaration of the steering issue. I could NEVER sell a car with ANY undocumented fault, let alone one as potentially life threatening as this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

May be worth using the Toyota recall checker  -  https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/owners/recall-checker-info.json#/iframe/https%3A%2F%2Fforms.toyota.co.uk%2Frecall-checker%3F_ga%3D1.192872745.202629928.1484251101

-  as there have been a couple of steering related recalls on the Corolla (2006 & 2012).

 

 

Thanks, I checked that earlier but nothing came up - I don't trust it though as a few months ago I had a letter from Toyota about a recall due to some issue with the passenger side airbag, but apparently it's nothing major and I will be contacted again about it to arrange whatever work needs to be done. So why isn't that issue mentioned when I check online? I have no idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Think if you search the forum you will see there are some issues that might be similar to yours.


http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/150350-power-steering-problem/

Thanks but I can't find anything that matches my car's steering fault.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Coriolis said:

Thanks, I checked that earlier but nothing came up - I don't trust it though as a few months ago I had a letter from Toyota about a recall due to some issue with the passenger side airbag, but apparently it's nothing major and I will be contacted again about it to arrange whatever work needs to be done. So why isn't that issue mentioned when I check online? I have no idea.

Sounds like the air bag recall is one of the Takata air bag recalls which involve around 15 car manufacturers globally and around 60 million vehicles worldwide. The car manufacturers are dependent on Takata producing sufficient replacement air bags.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share





×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership