Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's a decent replacement for SR180?

NickSw

Wife's car. About time for a replacement. Can't see anything Toyota to take my fancy. Looking for something similar size/style and with enough oomph to get out of (or into) trouble.

I've used Toyota for nearly 30 years & am V surprised that I cannot find any suitable alternative. Perhaps the Mirai but too expensive & where do you top up with hydrogen?

Also, what's a good way to sell an Oct 08 Auris SR180 D-CAT. 2.2L diesel, 87,000 miles.

Many thanks,

Nick.

Petrol, diesel, hybrid?

New/used? Budget?

I know a couple of people looking for an SR180 

Would a GT86 or newer focus ST3 not be something to consider both fun for different reasons 

And the ford is a similar size and as practical as the auris and about as economical but a decent part quicker 

The newer 2008> 330D is nice, good mpg and power (if your into germans). I didn't go for it as they are extremely common in Greater London.

However.. the SR180 is such a sleeper, other road users underestimate the car and will pull out in front, little do they know the potential.

Would be ideal to have a big bright Badge on the front grille, just to allow others to pay respect to the sr180 when on the road.

I think the 330d as much as it's a good car is over rated and very common and like everything German mighty expensive to fix ... Depends what your after ... comfy Barge, performance, economy, hatch or a combination

Can't get a slower car

What about having the auris remapped ... Whole new car with all the familiarity of your old one 

Thanks to all for the helpful replies.

Main reason for change is the age of the car.

Fuel type(s) ~ I'm traditionally diesel but that is not set in stone. Budget £25K max. Pref a few months old with minimal mileage.

Haven't looked at BMW much. At first glance I'm not taken by the 330D. I will in no way entertain any Merc.

Have looked at the GT86 & have fancied it since launch, but it is underpowered. I know it can be tweaked but do I want to go that way? 

A pal has a '15 (I think) Focus ST. He doesn't like it a lot.

After previous bad experiences with Golf I will no go there. Also I feel that the emissions scandal will have a knock-on effect on used prices of Vdubs over the years to come. Having said that I do have a '72 1303S Beetle cabriolet. Good fun summer car.

Have been looking at Audi A3 2.0L sportsback S line blahblah. (Yep, I know it's VAG group). Quite like the look of it. Similar spec as SR180.

I don't quite know what to do. One of the biggest problems is the huge quantity of variants available for every model. of every brand. Very confusing.

Thanks again,

Nick.

I love my ST I have a top spec one though. ST3 premium nav. 

Wouldn't touch anything vag and 2.0 riddled with problems and all of them expensive

The golf and Audi share engine platforms. 

Stick with Jap or go ford

That way you get easy to fix if it goes wrong and generally savagly good reliability.

Did you mention budget Ben? what is that??

OP posted budget

The options I posted are less than 25k I had a 20k budget

Managed to a top whack spec ST and kept my auris in that price 

23 minutes ago, smudge-1991 said:

OP posted budget

The options I posted are less than 25k I had a 20k budget

Managed to a top whack spec ST and kept my auris in that price 

Sorry ben, i meant to say Nick, the post originator :)

been a long day

ST is nice.. driven the latest one, pretty cool.

Sorry ... There is a comment with budget in 

What about the latest Mazda 3 with Sky Active? The 2 litre 165hp  petrol version has good economy and performance. The slightly lower power 120 hp has even better economy. The look is an acquired taste and the boot is not as large as some, according to Honest John. Another card is the Honda Civic. I was looking at buying a 1.8 petrol, '08 - '10 plate when I chose my Avensis. I have not heard of any reliability issues, and the ride improved on recent models.   

The Audi A3 is a nice car the s line is the one to always get 2.0 engine is solid but also check out the golf gtd if diesel is the preference looking at your budget and depending on how old you want the car to to be and if your open to buying a petrol check out the Audi s3 / golf r &a golf gti as although diesels look like they give better economy in real life driving a lad in our gym who's drives inner city gets more returns from his s3 than his mrs diesel a3

On 18/01/2017 at 3:18 PM, NickSw said:

Thanks to all for the helpful replies.

Main reason for change is the age of the car.

Fuel type(s) ~ I'm traditionally diesel but that is not set in stone. Budget £25K max. Pref a few months old with minimal mileage.

Haven't looked at BMW much. At first glance I'm not taken by the 330D. I will in no way entertain any Merc.

Have looked at the GT86 & have fancied it since launch, but it is underpowered. I know it can be tweaked but do I want to go that way? 

A pal has a '15 (I think) Focus ST. He doesn't like it a lot.

After previous bad experiences with Golf I will no go there. Also I feel that the emissions scandal will have a knock-on effect on used prices of Vdubs over the years to come. Having said that I do have a '72 1303S Beetle cabriolet. Good fun summer car.

Have been looking at Audi A3 2.0L sportsback S line blahblah. (Yep, I know it's VAG group). Quite like the look of it. Similar spec as SR180.

I don't quite know what to do. One of the biggest problems is the huge quantity of variants available for every model. of every brand. Very confusing.

Thanks again,

Nick.

As a 535d owner, get a beemer, It's far superior and well refined than anything out there in the same price range. A3s don't even come close. However, you could go for the glorified prius - Lexus IS hybrid.

"Looking for something similar size/style and with enough oomph to get out of (or into) trouble."

"I'm traditionally diesel but that is not set in stone. Budget £25K max. Pref a few months old with minimal mileage."

How about a Mazda 6?

175bhp diesel or 165bhp petrol, big boot, good kit, modern looks, reasonable running costs.  You should get one nearly new for your £20k

I wouldn't touch a Mazda diesel (Google & you'll find out why) ...

2.0l petrol though.

Yeah Scott there's quite a lot of negative comments around for the Mazda diesel, but the OP is looking for something quite new which would therefore be under warranty (for a while anyway).  Also, the timing chain and camshaft issues were reportedly cured around 2014.  If we weren't big Toyota fans we could say the same about the Toyota diesel lumps - they've had their own issues over the years too, and to an extent that Toyota have given up on them and bought in BMW engines instead.

I had a 2015 Mazda 6 diesel for about a year with no problems, and have just changed to a 2015 Mazda CX-5 diesel.  Granted my daily commute suits a diesel so it doesn't dump diesel from failed DPF re-gens into my sump etc, but I might just buy the extended warranty when mine runs out due to the many horror stories anyway.  However, I'd be the same with a Toyota diesel (although I'd obviously get five years free instead of just three). 

There still seems to be a lot of issues re. DPFs & fuel in oil plus Mazda don't seem to be as cooperative re. warranty as Toyota have been. & then as you mention it's also a considerably shorter warranty to start with.

£25 could get you a lot of car ... but what's most important to you

Speed, comfort, practicality, size, statement, brand