Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Touch 2 System Upgrade

HectorG

Hi everyone from a newbie. I've moved to Toyota from Subaru by way of a 2016 Nav 4 hybrid Excel. The car I've just bought is a 5 month old demonstrator which the dealer agreed to fit a 'GO' module to the Touch 2 to upgrade to sat nav. I'm still learning how to use everything in the so called multimedia system and just about everything seems to work. However, the iPod and USB icons on the screen appear to be greyed out and unavailable. I wonder if the technicians who installed the new GO module disrupted anything in so doing? the problem is that the car was bought 200 miles from where I live and it's impractical to take it back for them to look at. After they fitted the nav they took the car for a test drive to check it worked. They probably didn't check all the other functions. Can anyone with a knowledge of these systems come up with any ideas as to why I cannot use the USB socket on the lower part of the dash. I've tried my iPhone and a USB stick to no avail.

Also, I asked if the car now had 3D maps and voice recognition and they told me that would require another module for £500! Do these extra features add much to the standard nav and are they worth adding? I would possibly think of doing it myself at some time in the future if it was cheaper.

A bit off-topic - does the 2.5 ICE have a cam belt and if so when does it need changing?

Many thanks.

Its sounds as though the installers have left the USB input lead either disconnected or still plugged into the head unit rather than the add on GO module as required when GO is fitted.

There are two types of add on GO modules normal GO as it appears you have and a more expensive GO+ module the GO costs around £600 + fitting/vat the GO+ around £1100 + fitting/vat. 3D maps and voice control only come the GO+ module.

Your Rav has a timing chain

Many thanks DA, that's very helpful. It looks like I've been stitched up to a certain degree. Because I effectively bought the car over the phone - all the negotiation was done before I saw the car - I arranged to pick it up after they had fitted the GO module and the car is in an as new condition.  They did not tell me about the two options, presumably because the sat nav was part of the negotiation and they wanted to save money. When I subsequently queried the inclusion of  3D maps/voice recognition they told me that was included in another module which was £500 and wasn't available until later in February. I would imagine they didn't want to lose the sale and have misled me to seal the deal. To be fair it was a cracking deal compared with what else is out there - I just regret not being more thorough in my research. Presumably, I would have to replace the whole GO module unit for a GO+ at anything up to £1,500!

I used voice recognition in my Subaru for making phone calls, but not sat nav instructions, so can probably live without it. Am I correct in thinking the maps on my GO are pretty basic compared to some units and would be much better with the GO+?

I'll probably have a go at the leads myself as I have the PDF of the installation instructions. Is it easy enough to remove the HU without the risk of damage?

Many thanks once again. I see you next door to me in Devon.

Looking at the installation instructions for the Touch 2 GO, I'm a bit worried about removing the HU and vents to get access without damaging anything so l can check the leads. Anyone done this and can offer advice?

Also, how do you update the maps in the standard GO nav in the Touch 2 system when it becomes out of date?

Thanks

Installing the Go+ after taking delivery of the vehicle, I would imagine the module will only be covered under the accessory warranty (1 year?) rather than the five year new car warranty.

Think if you register with My Toyota you will get info on updates and how to update the unit.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links