Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sensor Warnings

Essexlol

My "Mrs" tells me that while driving she saw a warning message briefly flash up that said something to the effect of.."Front sensors are temporarily unavailable" and she thinks she saw a car symbol flash up. There was the posibility that there was some mist around.

Any idea what this message refers to ? The car is the base "Active" model.

"Front sensors temporarily unavailable do to blocked vision please clean windscreen". I was getting this every time I took the car for any distance, the dealer has just fitted a modified camera system with built in heater and cured it, the screen in front of the cameras was misting up and blocking them.

I have the same problem with misting up; practically daily in this weather.

Thank you for your replies. The base "Active" version doesnt actually have a camera, so I guess the sensors could still be there for the "night"  rear view mirror setting and triggering the same message.

afaik the sensor for the auto-dimming mirror is actually in the mirror itself.

This sounds like something to do with TSS (Toyota Safety System) but as you say I believe that is not fitted to the Active (standard on all other grades though). 

Avensis Active does have TSS but this only includes Pre-collision which does have the Camera/laser unit at the top of the windscreen. 

Was that always the case from the launch of the 2015 facelift or did it get it as a spec. upgrade at some point?

Toyota need to change their website then (I checked before I posted). https://www.toyota.co.uk/world-of-toyota/safety/toyota-safety-sense.json "Avensis (Excludes Active grade)" no mention that Active has PCS. It's only when you download the current version of the model brochure that you find that Active has PCS.

Mine is a November 2015 Business Edition and the Toyota brochure of the time says the Active has PCS, so yes it has the camera which can be seen through the windscreen top centre.

• 10 months later...

I took my Avensis Business Edition in for its second service yesterday and complained about this message again.  Last year they told me to turn up the heater to try and demist the unit, which doesn't work.  This year they told me they have just developed a solution in the form of a heater which they will fit under warranty in January. They are only fitting it if customers raise the issue.  It doesn't sound as new as I was told if revband got his 11 months ago. I hope it works !

Does your profile need updating from the 2006 Corolla to include the Avensis.

3 hours ago, john77 said:

I took my Avensis Business Edition in for its second service yesterday and complained about this message again.  Last year they told me to turn up the heater to try and demist the unit, which doesn't work.  This year they told me they have just developed a solution in the form of a heater which they will fit under warranty in January. They are only fitting it if customers raise the issue.  It doesn't sound as new as I was told if revband got his 11 months ago. I hope it works !

Yes mine has been clear of this fault since the new unit was fitted.

• 3 months later...

I bought a 2016 Avensis Business Edition. Camera has been blocked a few times now by a small misty patch that takes forever to dry out. Will the local Toyota dealer here in Ireland rectify this problem with the setup you're on about Revband? 

It is a known problem and Toyota have modified the camera housing to cure it, so your dealer should fit the new unit under guarantee. I understand that the new unit had a built in heater to stop it misting?.

• 1 year later...
On 4/7/2018 at 10:50 AM, revband said:

It is a known problem and Toyota have modified the camera housing to cure it, so your dealer should fit the new unit under guarantee. I understand that the new unit had a built in heater to stop it misting?.

Fingers crossed they will cough up for the fix for my 2017 Avensis 1.8 Design. I've had it serviced independently albeit using OEM parts and materials.

I'm pursuing Snows Toyota in Waterlooville (Hampshire) to have it fixed. I'll keep you all posted as to how easy it is/was.

45 minutes ago, LangstoneLayabout said:

Fingers crossed they will cough up for the fix for my 2017 Avensis 1.8 Design. I've had it serviced independently albeit using OEM parts and materials.

I'm pursuing Snows Toyota in Waterlooville (Hampshire) to have it fixed. I'll keep you all posted as to how easy it is/was.

afaik by a 2017 it had already had preventative measures applied by then.

22 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

afaik by a 2017 it had already had preventative measures applied by then.

Then Snows Toyota have a surprise lined up 🙂 My car was built May 2017.