Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warning lights ABS VSC and TRC OFF

BigKevB

Hi,

My trusty 2004 2.0 D4D T-Spirit has started showing ABS, VSC and "TRC OFF" on the console. I have found this Forum entry that seems to finally say it is the "Yaw Rate Sensor". Can anyone confirm this, and how much does the new Toyota part cost, compared to getting one from the breakers yard?

Thanks in advance

Kev

Have you had a diagnostic scan on your car? It best to get the car properly diagnosed, using the latest scanner that covers ABS/TRC/VSC. I think the old jumper wire/paper clip trip on the OBD port will partially work, but you really need a decent diagnostic scanner.

The usual cause of the ABS, VSC, TRC off warning is the EGR on diesels, or a brake light out. These can be checked by checking and cleaning the EGR or checking the brake lights. Even though you found a solution on the forum, it may or may not be the actual cause or fault on your car. You could change the Yaw sensor and no change!

That is why you need to do a diagnostic check, plus the other checks I mentioned. 

As well as Konrad C's good advice, check the brake fluid level. Stability and traction control on some cars are designed to switch off when brake fluid is low, from a system protection and safety point of view.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

I have not had any diagnosis as yet.

I have booked it into my local non-dealer garage for a service. When I first bought the car I got them to clean the EGR in a sonic bath, so perhaps it's time to do that again. I do try to drive to maximise MPG, so when I give it the boot it does release quite a lot of soot.

I know the brake pads are getting thin, which I guess means that brake fluid could also be low. I'll check that asap.

As far as I know the brake lights are all working, but will double check those too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

So, I took my car in to the local non-dealer garage yesterday for the service that was due. They changed all 4 sets of brake pads and tyres (all were due...) and 4 wheel alignment to fix rear inner tyre wear. They plugged their diagnostics tool into the system and read back "Brake booster sensor" and "Engine system" malfunctions...
Does this help us get closer to knowing the cause of the lights? Today they came on in standing traffic... but seem to mostly come on under heavier braking. Once they are on, they stay on for the duration of the journey under way.

Thanks in advance

:Edit: the Invoice shows code C1201, but I think this is the secondary code and that the Brake Booster code has not been listed on the invoice

Logically, this is looking like a Brake booster issue, if so, do I change the whole brake booster system (can get a used one off eBay for about £35) or is there a sensor that has failed? How many hours to change a Brake Booster and is it an easy DIY job... yesterday's bill was bigger than I'd have liked :blink::sad:

Edited by BigKevB
update details

Anyone got some advice for me? I going to try and get the proper code for the "Brake Booster" issue that the garage found...

• 2 weeks later...

Update: After a 2nd visit to my local garage, where we plugged in the tester and got the code C0205 off the system during a test drive, the fault was found to be the nearside front ABS sensor. The securing bolt had rusted off and so the sensor had come adrift. a simple fix was made by re-securing the sensor with a self-tapping screw and the lights went out and the system was clear of fault codes. So, in the end, it was a cheap fix...

• Like 1

No wonder you never got answer - misdiagnosis! It's good that you got the car rechecked, because the "brake booster" was a red herring.

When i last checked a friends Corsa, I actually checked the condition of the ABS sensors - ABS light on and speedometer not working. The car has been since fixed.

A few years back when changing a wheel bearing, the sensor bolt head snapped off. I managed to retrieve the remaining bit of the bolt myself.

Overall a simple and cheap fix.     

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,had the same problem,all threr lights came on ,read this post about rear brake light bulbs being out,and sure enough they were,replaced both and hey presto all three lights have gone off,well chuffed,thanks for the input.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I  had a TRC Off ABS and VSC light on, on my dashboard of my avensis T25 2007. I had diagnostic testing done that indicated issues with stop lights. I tested  my brake lights and realised they weren't working and so I changed both bulbs and TRC OFF ABS and VSC light disappeared.